Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Repairing a Silvia... What components should I consider?
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Repairing a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
mojoneill

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Silvia
Grinder: Rocky
Posted Sat Aug 11, 2012, 1:51pm
Subject: Repairing a Silvia... What components should I consider?

So I'm tearing down a 2006 Silvia I bought (broken). I have a boiler + gasket + screws on order (just in case, for the screws). I also picked up some food grade grease & I have teflon tape already.

My question is, aside from the boiler&heater assembly, are there other components I should replace while I'm in the thick of things?  Anything I should check while the machine is disassembled?

I've never worked on an espresso machine, but I'm looking forward to the project.
 View Profile Link to this post
JGG
JGG
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: PID Silvia; PID Alexia
Grinder: Mazzer SJ
Roaster: Hottop D w/HTC+TC4C
Posted Sat Aug 11, 2012, 2:06pm
Subject: Re: Repairing a Silvia... What components should I consider?

Why are you replacing the boiler?  I ask because if it is leaking at the base then the grouphead may be warped.

Jim
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
mojoneill

Posted Sat Aug 11, 2012, 5:12pm

Hi Jim!

Thanks for responding.  I'm replacing the boiler because it trips the GFI when I try to power it on.  When I remove the electrical connections from the heater posts coming up through boiler, it powers on just fine.  

My recollection is that before it bit the dust, there it stopped producing warm espresso.  What it did produce, had a weird flavor and a gray sediment in it.  

I don't recall any leaks from the machine.  

What would cause a group head to warp?

-Michael
JGG
JGG
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: PID Silvia; PID Alexia
Grinder: Mazzer SJ
Roaster: Hottop D w/HTC+TC4C
Posted Sat Aug 11, 2012, 7:34pm

mojoneill Said:

What would cause a group head to warp?

Posted August 11, 2012 link

Freezing.

I bought one that had frozen (I knew in advance).  Boiler was fine, but the grouphead was bent and had to be replaced.

Jim
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Sun Aug 12, 2012, 7:43am

Some recommendations:
- A steam valve rebuild kit - 4(?) O-rings and the "cock" (valve seal)  gasket.
other possibilities.....
- Some owners have also updated the old style pressure relief valve with the newer, adjustable version.
- Add a pressure gauge - a PF mounted variety can be created, or a panel mount (more difficult).
- PID kit...?

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
mojoneill

Posted Sun Aug 12, 2012, 12:30pm

>  A steam valve rebuild kit - 4(?) O-rings and the "cock" (valve seal)  gasket.

Interesting. I hadn't thought of this.  I was actually expecting to see a mention of the pump...but nobody mentioned that. Perhaps they don't go bad very often?

> Other possibilities...

Ahhh yeah, believe me, I've been lusting after a PID, and I'd really like the idea of a pressure gauge.  That's going to have to wait though...  wife is already a bit skeptical that this is going to be anything but a boondoggle.  She's never used anything but the little Capresso EC-100 I was strongarmed into buying her for her birthday. :P  And frankly, she doesn't seem to think there's anything to improve upon.  To make matters worse, she's from Europe and comes from a coffee culture.

I, on the other hand, cringe every time I use the Capresso and can't wait to get Miss Silvia in working order again.  Maybe once she starts using it, she'll free up more funds for a better machine, or upgrades.  

-Michael
tracerbullet
tracerbullet
Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Aug 13, 2012, 6:43am

My standard caveat is that I only know Gaggia's but I believe things are similar. If I got inside a Gaggia to replace a boiler I would:

• replace the O-ring between the boiler and group head as well
  • diassemble the 3-way solenoid and clean it out, verify the rubber on the plunger is still soft (but not too soft as to be disintegrating)
  • replace the O-ring at the top of the boiler for the steam output and remove any scale
  • completely disassemble and clean out the grouphead

Is the Silvia similar with these pieces?

I've found that "CLR" is good for removing scale from metal, letting parts sit in it overnight. Make sure of course you clean them afterwards w/ soapy water so the CLR is all removed prior to reassembly. Don't get rubber / plastic parts in it though, they retain the smell of the stuff, if they are scaled up just replace them. Also found that very fine steel wool is good at general cleaning of old coffee muck, it's tough enough to remove that but not so tough as to sand away the grouphead or boiler itself and cause high / low spots to prevent things from sealing.

Across the board some screwdrivers and a set of metric allen wrenches are about all that's needed. Make sure to watch how things come out so you can get them back together correctly, and don't cut any rubber hoses or electrical insulation in the process. Nothing too difficult really. Good luck.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Aug 13, 2012, 11:28am

Good luck with the rebuild. I documented just such a rebuild so perhaps it might help you through yours.
http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machinemods/547829
It is a V1 machine but that really is mainly a cosmetic difference for the most part.
The 3 way is a little tough to take apart so if it is working, I would not fool with it.
The pressure valve is easy to disassemble so give it a good cleaning.
Check the Gh as said above for being warped. A little may be OK but very much at all and it will not seal.
I used SS screws and coated them with a little grease on assembly. Longer screws are OK and will not damage anything if you can't find the exact length screws. The carbon steel screws on my machine had rotted and were broken in the GH and it was a little tricky to remove them.

If you need anything, just ask!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
mojoneill

Posted Mon Aug 13, 2012, 3:28pm

Awesome, calblacksmith!

Thanks for the encouragement and the tips.  I'm kind of curious to see how far I get before I reach my first brick wall/problem I need you help with. :P  

Your thread made this whole project seem approachable to me in the first place.

-Michael
takeshi
takeshi
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Mon Aug 13, 2012, 8:47pm

mojoneill Said:

I was actually expecting to see a mention of the pump...but nobody mentioned that. Perhaps they don't go bad very often?

Posted August 12, 2012 link

No idea what's typical but my 02 Silvia is still running on its original pump.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Repairing a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.265865087509)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+