Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Gaggia Classic boiler broken after visit from electrician
Barista Tools
Large selection of tampers, pitchers, milk frothers and much more!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Gaggia Classic...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
toddst

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2012, 6:29am
Subject: Gaggia Classic boiler broken after visit from electrician

A sad day for my Gaggia Classic....

The other day, an electrician was doing some work in my building, and he accidentally hooked up a 240v line where there shouldíve only been a 120v. Not knowing this, in the morning, I made some espresso with my Gaggia Classic. Yesterday, everything seemed fine, but ...

This morning (after the electrician fixed the line), the machine turned on, but the water didnít heat up; however, the lights and the pump still work.  Iím guessing that the boiler is gone and Iíll have to buy a replacement, but before I do is there anything else that I should check to see if it needs to be replaced or do you just think that it is the boiler?

Thanks!
 View Profile Link to this post
GVDub

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Aug 10, 2012, 7:26am
Subject: Re: Gaggia Classic boiler broken after visit from electrician

First off, I hope the eletrician is paying for any necessary repair or replacement.

Does the Classic have any sort of internal fuse? That would be the first thing to check. Beyond that, if there are any internal electronics of any sort on the Gaggia, they need to be checked. Your best option is to take it in for service and send the bill to the electrician (having told him in advance that's what you'll be doing).
toddst

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2012, 8:07am

Yeah, the electrician is going to pay for the repair, but since he is a good guy, and has helped me out before, I want to try and do this as cheaply as possible. I have no problems taking apart the machine & replacing parts on my own, I just want to make sure that I order the right part(s).

I will check to see if the Gaggia has an internal fuse, but I doubt it...

Thanks!
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Preciso
Posted Fri Aug 10, 2012, 9:15am

Gaggia has a thermofuse, but I think that it shuts off the machine. Part 3, and physically on top of the boiler.

Click Here (www.partsguru.com)

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
randytsuch

Espresso: Expobar Office with...
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Roaster: Customized Alpenrost,...
Posted Fri Aug 10, 2012, 9:56am

D4F Said:

Gaggia has a thermofuse, but I think that it shuts off the machine. Part 3, and physically on top of the boiler.

Click Here (www.partsguru.com)

Posted August 10, 2012 link

I was thinking the same think, and the diagram comfirmed that if the thermofuse blows it should shut off all power, not just boiler power.

Maybe you could get the electrician to help you troubleshoot the unit

If you take the top off, and look at the boiler, there are four pins that stick out of the top.  This is the heater power.
He can measure with a meter, and see if 115VAC is there.

If 115 is there, and no heat, then you need a new boiler.

Randy
toddst

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2012, 10:49am

Thanks you both so much for the information and the link to the diagram. I'll open up the machine this weekend and hopefully figure out exactly where the problem is.
tracerbullet
tracerbullet

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2012, 11:39am

Hmmm, I've replaced a fuse like that on my dad's Gaggia and only the boiler was out not the whole thing. The diagram does show that it should all be dead, but I'd still track down the power routing w/ a multimeter to be certain. This worked on his machine anyhow (it lit up and pumped water, but only pumped cold water). His was a "Coffee" not a Classic, these machines are darn similar inside but there may be a difference.

The fuse was from ebay for pretty cheap once you figured out the codes on it and which to get. I tried to look up the one I bought but it was long enough ago the link's gone.

If you absolutely must have a boiler I have some parts in the classifieds, as an option.

But I'd take another look at the fuse, it worked for him anyhow.
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, 2 Macap M4s, OE...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Fri Aug 10, 2012, 12:14pm

I don't know the Gaggia, but the Rancilio Silvia has a reset switch on the boiler.  You simply access the internal parts of the machine, press a tiny red button and...voila...you're back in business.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
D4F

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Preciso
Posted Fri Aug 10, 2012, 12:31pm

Not a reset on Gaggia.  You can check it with a DMM, or have your friend.  You could also jump it momentarily, or your electrical friend could, if it is out and confirm that the problem is solved with continuity across the fuse/jump.  For safety, I would not continue a jump but replace the fuse.

TracerBullet has seen enough that in spite of the diagram, he may correct.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
toddst

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2012, 12:35pm

Thanks again for all the replies! I'll have a friend come over to check the power at different points. I'm hoping it's the fuse!

I feel a lot better than I did this morning!
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Gaggia Classic...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.24804186821)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+