Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Isomac needs some help!
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Isomac needs...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
EN
EN
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Millennium
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: Bodum Columbia (press)
Drip: Ya, i hear it too, where is...
Roaster: Gene Cafe
Posted Wed Aug 8, 2012, 3:05am
Subject: Isomac needs some help!

Hello Ladies and Gents!

My Isomac Millenium has been treating me very well over the years, but this morning, after a descaling (using a proper descaling liquid) shes not her good ol self!!

When at first i turn it on, everything seems normal, but rather quickly it becomes obvious that the heating element isnt being as aggressive as normal.  You hear it at first, but it just never winds up into its normal rumble of "serious business is happening here".

The green light wouldnt come on, obviously, because she builds NO pressure... zero.  So i started wondering about the pressure stat.  Not knowing which direction was which i just gave it a few turns (it was rather sticky) and checked all the contacts (pulled on and off a few times, looked pretty good).  No difference.  So i cranked the pressure state well to one direction, and this time when i turned the machine on, the green light came on.  Im assuming that this means i had turned the stat down, and that its actually working just fine... but what the heck do i know!!?!  lol.  Since i dont really know what where i was in its adjustment i just put it "kinda back to maybe where it was", and now im just back to square one again.

The group gets fairly warm, and i was able to pull a highly mediocre shot, which, sadly is better than any coffee shop near me serves.

Today will be a rough one!

Thanks in advance for any help, thoughts or suggestions!

Erik
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Aug 8, 2012, 8:27am
Subject: Re: Isomac needs some help!

by way of the fact that when you fussed with the Pstat, it started working again, it sounds like it is time for a new one. You are at a crossroads, I have long maintained that a PDI on a HX machine is worthless in the way of adding anything to stability of the shot but now that your Pstat is bad, you might consider changing to a PID in stead of replacing the Pstat. The cost may or may not be about the same and if you can find a way into the boiler for the temp probe, that would be the ideal situation. If you have to attach to the outside of the boiler, you won't gain much if anything in the way of better stability but the life of SS parts tend to be better than mechanical ones.

The easiest way though if you are not mechanically handy, is just to replace the Pstat with the same one that you have installed now.

You just might have dislodged some scale and it may have found it's way into the Pstat tube too, in which case, clean out the tube and all may be well again.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
EN
EN

Posted Wed Aug 8, 2012, 8:30am

Hey, thanks for your reply!  You think its the pstat?  I sure can pull it right out and clean it tonight, but i kinda thought that it seemed like it was working ok.  I guess ill try that anyway...

As an update:

I took the body off, removed the pressurestat, vacuum breaker and boiler water level sensor, filled the boiler up to the top of the pstat hole with some mild descaler while i cleaned the other parts (and body etc...), after a few hours soaking i put it all back together, and it actually built about .2 bar.  I drained the tank as much as i could, the pump came on and re-filled the boiler, BUT thats when i noticed that all 3 of the front lights were on.  Google cant seem to tell me what the heck that means!

If anyone knows what all 3 front lights lit at the same time means, id love to know!  Im guessing its some kind of fault indicator, like a trouble code type of thing!?
EN
EN

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2012, 3:51pm

Ok, so i replaced the element, it wasnt testing great, and when i got the old one out it looked like it has exploded!  pretty crazy!  but still nothing.  so i replaced the pressurestat, still nothing.  I tested the water level sensor and it was fine, but for the cost i replaced (then re-tested) anyways.  still no change.  

It fills the boiler, and runs the group fine.  Its just that the element is doing nothing!  nada.  its not warming, its not kicking on... nothing.

oh, and i replaced the thermo fuse as well... just for fun.  

any tips, thoughts, tests, recommendations?
EN
EN

Posted Sat Aug 11, 2012, 8:04am

oh, and by the way, the element is getting just under 30v when the machine is plugged in but turned off, and when turned on its getting the full 115v.  but not heating.  its a brand new element which tests good on resistance across both terminals, from one terminal to the body its got infinite resistance but from the other terminal to the body there is a measurable resistance
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Isomac needs...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.203379154205)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+