Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Props to Joe Kittay and Good Coffee Company of Seattle
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Props to Joe...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
GVDub

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Sun Aug 5, 2012, 12:14pm
Subject: Props to Joe Kittay and Good Coffee Company of Seattle

I recently bought the painstakingly restored NS Ellimatic JDHarding so thoroughly documented in his thread here, and while the machine works absolutely great, the UPS store that packed it for him ignored instructions about care, adequate padding, and fragility, doing an extraordinarily half-assed job, resulting in all three plastic panels being thoroughly thrashed. Since filing a claim would have eventually resulted in UPS owning the machine, where they would most likely junk it or auction it, I was not so inclined.

Enter Good Coffee Company and Joe Kittay. I had seen mention of them here as a place that had restored Ellis and Ellimatics. Apparently, these are a favorite machine of Joe Kittay, the founder of the company (mostly a roaster). I figured it was worth a call. Good Coffee Company is a very old-school place, with no web presence and no email, just a storefront in what looks to be a mostly industrial area of Seattle. Got Joe on the phone and asked if he had spare panels for an Ellimatic. Heard him checking shelves. Yes, but no black (which is what the machine had been). He did have a full set of brown panels at a very reasonable price. "Just send me your check," Joe said. No Paypal, no credit card, he takes checks. From strangers. Who live over a thousand miles away. He concluded with "You want some coffee with that?" I figured, sure and added on a pound of their espresso blend, at a very reasonable $10.35. He said to remind him in a note with the check that I was getting coffee, too.

As I'm writing the cover letter, I realized that I hadn't asked if he had colors other than brown, specifically the red, which I think looks pretty sharp on the Elli. So I stated that I'd prefer red over brown, if he had them at the same price, and mailed the check out Thursday morning. Monday, I get a call. Yes, he's got red, but there's a little ding in one of the panels. He has tape of the same shade of red that will cover it up. Do I want him to do that? I can, as he says, remove the tape if I don't like it. "Go for it," say I.

He must have shipped that day, since the package arrived in SoCal on Thursday. As advertised, and the tape is a perfect match. So I now have a red Ellimatic, thanks to Joe and Good Coffee Company.

I bet he's got other parts, too.
 View Profile Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sun Aug 5, 2012, 1:11pm
Subject: Re: Props to Joe Kittay and Good Coffee Company of Seattle

George,
I LOVE folks like Joe. My dad was a similar sort, fixed appliances..back when you fixed them, not JUNKED them!

Can you post a pix of your new red baby?
Thanks for sharing a new source with CG'ers.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
GVDub

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Sun Aug 5, 2012, 3:57pm

Flickr Set of Ellimatic with new case

Ask and ye shall receive.
 View Profile Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sun Aug 5, 2012, 4:22pm

GVDub Said:

Flickr Set of Ellimatic with new case

Ask and ye shall receive.

Posted August 5, 2012 link

Oh YEAH!!!
Red rocks, really.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Mon Aug 6, 2012, 9:57am

Love that story.  Be sure to write him a snail mail and tell him how much we appreciate him.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Props to Joe...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.208515167236)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+