Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Best Way to Descale Nuova Oscar?
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Best Way to...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
hotwasabipeas

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Breville BES900XL, CC1, NS...
Grinder: Baratza Vario 886
Drip: Flavia SB100 (makes a hot...
Posted Tue Jul 17, 2012, 6:25am
Subject: Re: Best Way to Descale Nuova Oscar?

I feel so dumb Cal that I let this happen but it's a learning experience for sure and I will be able to fix it...I hope! Luckily the heating element isn't too expensive (it's $68) and if that's the only thing I need to repair that's not too bad considering I only paid $180 for it.  Maybe I should take this opportunity to add some mods like a vacuum breaker or try putting a valve on the drain plug like you suggested.
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Tue Jul 17, 2012, 7:55am

Yes, do add the vacuum breaker and you can descale it if needed while you have it open.  I am trying to think of a clever way to get a spout on my drain plug for the boiler that will not make the machine harder to transport.  I dislike taking it out of the case and wish I could just turn the valve and let it drain into the sink without taking the whole thing apart.

I, personally, would order an extra pump, 2 group head gaskets, and pstat- if you have the extra cash.  Even if you do not need them now you might in the near future and you will have less down time if you already have the parts.  Mine was only 2 years old with supposedly light use and I had to replace the pump, clean out the 3 way valve, replace a safety valve.  (and since you have the older pstat I would replace it when it breaks with the newer one.)  I hated being down while I waited for parts.

Even with all that those parts you still paid less than I did for mine :P

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
hotwasabipeas

Posted Tue Jul 17, 2012, 8:09am

Hey Coffeenoobie!  What's the procedure for getting the bottom casing off?  Do I have to take out the pump and Gicar?
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Jul 18, 2012, 5:01am

A proper sized drill comes to mind when seeking to route a line from a drain valve out the bottom of the machine, to me this would be the simplest way to do it, just add the valve (with a spout for attaching a line to) then see where the easiest place to run the line to is, then drill a hole in the base plate and run the line, extending just under the base plate but not so long as to set on the counter. YMMV!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
JtothaR
JtothaR

Espresso: NS Appia, Oscar
Grinder: K10, Lusso, GM 875
Drip: Pour-Over, FP, Toddy
Roaster: Agapao, Metropolis, CC
Posted Wed Jul 18, 2012, 11:12am

hotwasabipeas Said:

I determined that my heating element is gone.  Drat!  This will be my first time having to take out and install a heating element.  Any advice?

Posted July 16, 2012 link

This is why i told you to run your descale with the heater disconnected. By turning the machine on its side and expelling the water when the element is hot, you have exposed the element to the air and blown it.

Heating elements 101

Load and Lock.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Thu Jul 19, 2012, 7:58am

Disclaimer, I did not document this so just from memory, I just pulled the frame partly out to clean and paint a rusted spot in the back left of the bottom metal framework. To get the metal out of the case I had to disconnect the pump, unscrew 6 screws from the bottom and I think the brain box to get to the bottom of the frame work.  I then eased it out slowly till I could see the metal bottom part, I then cleaned with a wire brush and masked the area off with a paper cup with a hole in the bottom and sprayed the small spot with rust spray paint.

Coffeenoobie

hotwasabipeas

Posted Thu Jul 19, 2012, 10:41am

JtothaR Said:

This is why i told you to run your descale with the heater disconnected. By turning the machine on its side and expelling the water when the element is hot, you have exposed the element to the air and blown it.

Heating elements 101

Posted July 18, 2012 link

I know..I know...I was dumb but at least it won't be an overly expensive repair and I am actually looking forward to taking apart the machine and working on it.  Instead of buying a Nuova Simonelli element for $68, I found out that an Isomac heating element will work in my Oscar and it's only $49.  Plus it's rated at 1400w versus the 1200w NS element meaning I will get quicker recovery and faster heatup yet the Oscar will still be under 15 amps so it won't be overloaded and stressed.  

According to Chris' Coffee, they are coming out with a new vacuum breaker kit for the Oscar which will make installation much easier than the old kit they used to offer.  It's not out yet but in the next month or so and I will definitely be getting one of those! Can't wait.

@Coffeenoobie - Did you have to remove the wires from the Gicar to get the case off or does it just slide out?  In order to get the element removed I will need the lower casing removed :(
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Thu Jul 19, 2012, 12:28pm

I can't remember, I think I just removed a plug of wires.  I take a lot of photos with my camera to remember how things connect but I deleted them....

Coffeenoobie

hotwasabipeas

Posted Tue Jul 24, 2012, 12:23pm

I got my Oscar fixed by replacing the element last night - YAY!    Everything seems alright with the machine but I noticed my steam is a little on the wet side.  I just purged the wand a second or two and then used a Pyrex measuring cup and ran the steam wand into the cup for about 25 seconds and I wound up with about 1 teaspoon of water in the cup.  I don't remember my steam being this wet before and I tried increasing the P-Stat (My Oscar has a Parker P-Stat - same as a Sirai) by turning it one full revolution towards the "+" sign.  I have waited a good hour for it to settle in and I still have wet steam.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Tue Jul 24, 2012, 4:23pm

My steam is always wet for a few seconds but then it drys up.  I don't know about running it in a cup if that would give me water at the bottom.  Try boiling a cup of water in your milk pitcher. It should boil pretty fast.

Coffeenoobie

showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Best Way to...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.40905213356)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+