Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Best Way to Descale Nuova Oscar?
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Best Way to...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 4 first page previous page
Author Messages
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Jul 25, 2012, 5:20am
Subject: Re: Best Way to Descale Nuova Oscar?

Wet steam would be more likely from a high water level in the boiler than not hot enough. Any machine though will give you some water in the steam until the steam system heats up and even then you might get some, remember, water is steam and steam is water, even the driest steam can condense on the walls of a glass vessel.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
hotwasabipeas
hotwasabipeas

Espresso: NS Oscar
Grinder: KitchenAid ProLine
Drip: Keurig Vue, B70,Tassimo T65,...
Roaster: Wear Ever Popcorn Pumper...
Posted Wed Jul 25, 2012, 11:09am

I have a new problem.  Today, while testing the machine, the water level probe shot up on it's own twice within an hour.   It popped up about an inch causing the autofill to kick in each time. Also I noticed that the probe easily pulls out of the nut and it comes out without the white teflon sheathing attached.  I tightened that probe nut but the probe can still be easily pulled out.  Is that normal?  Can it be tightened?

Please visit my website!

www.planetwasabi.com
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Wed Jul 25, 2012, 11:15am

Sounds like the nylon or teflon ferrule has hardened & become too brittle to grip the water level probe tightly enough to prevent it from sliding up under boiler pressure.

You should take it apart to inspect it to find out. A temporary fix (may work pemanently) I'm thinking of would be to angle/overlap wrap a single layer (or maybe two) of plumbers white teflon tape over the contact area of the ss probe where it meets the internal ferrule, & see if that works.
The slightly fatter built up diameter of the probe maybe enough to push out against the ferrule & make it tight enough to work without the nut running out of tightening adjustment room.

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
hotwasabipeas
hotwasabipeas

Posted Wed Jul 25, 2012, 11:24am

I got the bottom nut off using an 18mm box wrench but now I am confused as I don't think the sleeve is normally suppose to come out when you remove the probe as it is "screwed" into the bottom nut.  I had to unscrew the sleeve to get it out.  I will try reinserting the probe now after slightly compressing the sleeve with a pair of pliers to see if that will hold the probe in better.

hotwasabipeas: 006.JPG
(Click for larger image)

Please visit my website!

www.planetwasabi.com
CraigA
CraigA

Posted Wed Jul 25, 2012, 11:58am

That ferrule has been deformed/squashed by tightening & has in effect deformed into the internal threads of the nuts body. By overtightening & then loosening the whole tube & ferrule has self formed some threads there that I can see, but it shouldn't matter.

Do you have any teflon tape to wrap on the ferrule?

CraigA: Greenshot image editor2_2012-07-25_14-55-37.JPG

View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
hotwasabipeas
hotwasabipeas

Posted Wed Jul 25, 2012, 12:27pm

Hi Craig - No I don't have any teflon tape but I just put everything back together and the probe is very snug now and hopefully I won't have any trouble with it but I have the top off of the Oscar and will be monitoring it for awhile to see if any leaks develop or if the probe pops up again.  Since installing my new element I have noticed that the steam is a tiny bit wet compared to before so I have increased the pressure by turning my Parker P-Stat 1 & 1/2 turns towards the "+" sign to see if that alleviates the wet steam.

Please visit my website!

www.planetwasabi.com
CraigA
CraigA

Posted Wed Jul 25, 2012, 12:37pm

Thanks Erik, You could try dropping the boiler level a tad by lowering the probe to help alleviate the wet steam., that is unless it's already bottomed out. Hope that it works out & stays that way for you. {;-)

Sounds to me like the ferrule (because of the formed threads on it) wasn't completely bottoming into the 45 degree angle on the fitting, preventing it from being compressed properly on the probe.

showing page 4 of 4 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Best Way to...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.251499176025)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+