Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Can this Francis Francis X1 be saved?
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Can this Francis...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
karmasoft

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Rocket Espresso Cellini...
Grinder: Rocket Mazzer Mini P
Drip: Bodum French Press, Chemex
Posted Sun Jul 15, 2012, 10:16am
Subject: Can this Francis Francis X1 be saved?

After I bought my Rocket I left my Francis Francis X1 in a rental unit we own.  For the past year it received some unwanted abuse.

Now we have new tenants who would like an Espresso Machine (we rent the unit furnished), and I would like to provide something.

Cosmetically the X1 is in 8.5/10 condition.  The machine doesn't even turn on however.  So I took it apart and was somewhat appalled by the condition of the interior.  Is my finger pointing at the boiler?  That's a pretty nasty crack...

Click Here (i21.photobucket.com)

...what should I do?  Is this repairable?  If so, is it worth it?
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Sun Jul 15, 2012, 11:16am
Subject: Re: Can this Francis Francis X1 be saved?

it looks like that machine was in storage with water in the boiler and in an unheated space so that the water froze and broke the boiler.
can it be saved ... yeah but at a cost of more than it is worth.

I know the original price was fairly high but francis francis machines tend to be more stylish than high quality. yes they will get the job done but better machines are available for the same or less money.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
karmasoft

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Rocket Espresso Cellini...
Grinder: Rocket Mazzer Mini P
Drip: Bodum French Press, Chemex
Posted Mon Jul 16, 2012, 3:13am

Thanks for the diagnosis... that's disappointing to say the least.  Any clue where to go other than click here for francis francis parts?  I'd like to at least explore the option of repairing it myself.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Jul 16, 2012, 6:29am

FF is pretty much a waste land when it comes to parts other than OEM as far as I know. I THINK FF is owned by ILLY now but I don't know for sure.
If you can take it apart, and only the crack is the problem, a welding shop can repair the crack and that MAY be the least expensive route. It will need to be cleaned inside and out, then the crack will need to be ground into a "V" shape for proper repair. This is not a hard process and I would expect that a weld shop would do it for a minimum charge.

If that Al is cast, the repair may be a little more difficult. An epoxy with metal filler may be another route but once you use an epoxy, the weld route is pretty much out the window due to the cleaning that would need to be done to remove ALL the epoxy from the boiler. A product such as DEVCON Click Here (www.devcon.com) is the best but the price may be more than having it welded esp since you will be using so little of the 1# that is the minimum size that it is sold in. Click Here (www.all-spec.com)

Another product that MAY work but is not as good as Devcon is JBWeld. You can buy it in autoparts stores etc. It is also an epoxy based product but it is not as good as Devcon. http://jbweld.net/index.php

With either method, welding or epoxy, prep of the repair is the key. A surgical clean prep is mandatory as well as a "V" grove filed or ground into the casting is mandatory, you can not just glop the epoxy on top and expect it to seal, the chances I would give such a repair (gloping on top) to work would be below 50%

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
coffee_no_sugar

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: pavoni pub, brasilia club
Grinder: mazzer sj, mdf, infinity
Drip: melitta clarity
Roaster: popcorn
Posted Mon Jul 16, 2012, 9:33pm

Hi,

The FF X1  came in an aluminum boiler and a brass boiler and you have the older aluminum boiler model.

According to electra-craft,  http://www.mcssl.com/store/electra-craft/francis-francis-spare-parts , the aluminum boiler FF X1 uses the same pod and group gaskets as the Espressione (grimac) grace.    The Espressione grace also has an aluminum boiler.  What are the odds that these two machines use the same boiler?    Anyways the folks at electra-craft probably know.

The general opinion is that the older aluminum boiler model wasn't up to coffee-geek standards.  With the brass boiler model, FF used the same boiler as the LeLit, and an electronic temperature control.   Superior guts to the stock LeLit.

Wesley
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Can this Francis...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.204343080521)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+