Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Best Way to Descale Nuova Oscar?
Espresso Makers
Premium stovetop espresso makers, electric moka pots, machines & accessories.
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Best Way to...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
hotwasabipeas
hotwasabipeas
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: NS Oscar
Grinder: KitchenAid ProLine
Drip: Keurig Vue, B70,Tassimo T65,...
Roaster: Wear Ever Popcorn Pumper...
Posted Fri Jul 13, 2012, 3:24pm
Subject: Re: Best Way to Descale Nuova Oscar?

YAY no more brown water and everything seems OK now.  I need an O-ring for my steam tip as it tends to leak some steam/water droplets at the seam where the tip meets the wand.  Does anyone know what size I will need?

Please visit my website!

www.planetwasabi.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
hotwasabipeas
hotwasabipeas

Posted Fri Jul 13, 2012, 6:33pm

OK now I need some help.  I thought the Oscar was fine and I brewed a shot before leaving to go and find an O-ring at Home Depot.  Everything seemed fine with the machine but when I came home the heater light was on.  In the meantime I got the O-ring and my steam tip installed and the heater light was still on.  When I went to turn on the steam no steam came out, just a few drops of hot water...that was it.  I pressed the brew button and hot water came out of the group yet the heater light remained lit and never went off.  I turned the machine off and back on and the heater light remains lit and I cannot get steam to come out.  What can the problem be?

Please visit my website!

www.planetwasabi.com
hotwasabipeas
hotwasabipeas

Posted Fri Jul 13, 2012, 9:38pm

I thought maybe the contacts on the P-Stat were corroded or bad so I moved the wires to the middle set of contacts and I still have the problem.  When turning on the machine the heater light illuminates and I can hear the water in the boiler getting heated and there is a lot of heat coming from the boiler so I know it's working and getting hot.  Hot water will also flow from the brewhead but nothing happens with the steam arm and the heater light never turns off, except when the tank runs out of water, then it's off.

Maybe some scale lodged in the steam arm? Should I try and force a boiler overfill to see if water will start coming out of the steam arm?  Any suggestions please?

Please visit my website!

www.planetwasabi.com
hotwasabipeas
hotwasabipeas

Posted Mon Jul 16, 2012, 2:19pm

I determined that my heating element is gone.  Drat!  This will be my first time having to take out and install a heating element.  Any advice?

Please visit my website!

www.planetwasabi.com
GVDub

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Jul 16, 2012, 3:10pm

hotwasabipeas Said:

I determined that my heating element is gone.  Drat!  This will be my first time having to take out and install a heating element.  Any advice?

Posted July 16, 2012 link

Make sure you order new heating element gaskets when you order the heater. Gaskets are consumables.

Should be fairly obvious - remembrer to mark which wire goes  where. I like using colored tape (different colors) and then just color match when you're reassembling.
 View Profile Link to this post
hotwasabipeas
hotwasabipeas

Posted Mon Jul 16, 2012, 3:36pm

Can I take the element out without having to remove the boiler?  I read some posts where it was recommended that you use an adjustable impact wrench.  I don't have one of those and they are a bit pricey.  What less expensive tools can I use?

Please visit my website!

www.planetwasabi.com
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Jul 16, 2012, 3:54pm

Bummer about the heater.
the best tool is a tubing wrench. It looks like a box wrench except that it has a small cut out in the box end so you can slip the wrench over the copper tube yet still engauge all the points on the nut and this prevents rounding out the nut.

Short of that, use a well fitting open end wrench.

I have not looked inside an Oscar in a long time so I do not remember the clearances inside the machine and where the element is located. Many times though, you will need to remove the boiler just so you can hold it solidly to prevent breaking a mounting tab or bending tubes etc.

Only starting to work on the machine will let you know what you need to do.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
GVDub

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Jul 16, 2012, 4:05pm

I'd also suggest reading through this thread Click Here (www.home-barista.com) on Home Barista, just in case you might have something as simple as a blown thermofuse. If you've eliminated that already, apologies, but always better to do a little extra diagnosis and possibly save a larger repair for something that may have gone overlooked.
 View Profile Link to this post
hotwasabipeas
hotwasabipeas

Posted Mon Jul 16, 2012, 8:37pm

I read that post and it seems that his boiler is different then mine as mine has a safety thermostat on the side of the boiler above the heating element and his didn't.  Instead he had a thermal fuse and when I disconnected the heating element leads today I looked all around at the wiring and there isn't any type of fuse like he had.  The safety thermostat on my boiler has a red button and I don't think it tripped as I tried pressing the button but it won't budge.

Please visit my website!

www.planetwasabi.com
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Jul 17, 2012, 5:44am

hotwasabipeas Said:

.................When turning on the machine the heater light illuminates and I can hear the water in the boiler getting heated and there is a lot of heat coming from the boiler so I know it's working and getting hot.  Hot water will also flow from the brewhead but nothing happens with the steam arm and the heater light never turns off, except when the tank runs out of water, then it's off. ...........

Posted July 13, 2012 link

This pretty much counts out the overtemp safety switch, if it had blown, the water would not get hot at all.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Best Way to...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.273546934128)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+