Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
De-pressurizing the DeLonghi Exclusivo
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > De-pressurizing...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
mrhagerty

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: DeLonghi EC 702
Grinder: Starbucks Barista
Drip: Melitta Porcelain
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Jul 10, 2012, 1:44pm
Subject: De-pressurizing the DeLonghi Exclusivo

I noticed in the video for the Saeco Venezio depressurizing disassembly, that the reason the PF is pressurized is the presence of a spring assembly right on the PF itself.

I don't have a spring assembly in my PF for the DeLonghi EC-702.  The only thing that would appear to build up pressure in the PF is a circular plate of fine perforations that obviously requires a certain amount of pressure to pass liquid.  But this appear to be the same thing that would be left in the Saeco when converting to non-pressurized.

So am I non-pressurized or still pressurized in some way that's not obvious?

Mike
 View Profile Link to this post
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Tue Jul 10, 2012, 2:12pm
Subject: Re: De-pressurizing the DeLonghi Exclusivo

]If it's anything like the Delonghi I had (though all their pressurized filters were the same?). Here's the filter taken apart, that black plastic piece next to the screen at the top is what you want to remove (its flush with the screen when pulled out of the rubber gasket), and then just reassemble. Yours looks different then this?

Click Here (i146.photobucket.com)
mrhagerty

Posted Tue Jul 10, 2012, 2:22pm

Mine is identical to your photo.  The plastic piece you suggest I remove is the piece that also has the threads onto which the barrel piece screws on.

So I assume this is going to be a loose fit of the screen into its holder, then that into the main filter holder.  Which is why some folks say the filter will come out if your slap it on a box.

So are you saying that the plastic piece is the ONLY item that pressurizes the PF.  There is no mechanism up in the head that also makes the PF act pressurized?

Mike
CMIN

Posted Tue Jul 10, 2012, 2:28pm

Far as I know that's what "depressurizing" these machines with the stock PF is, seems what everyone else does as well. And yeh the screen can come out, you can just rinse it with water under the sink to get the puck/grinds out, then you can take the screen out and clean or so whatever with it. Once the grinds are in and tamped though and the pressure from the head, it'll stay put like stock when extracting. The tricky part with these machines is getting the correct grind fineness for being depressurized, I had a hard time doing that as their designed to work better as a pressurized unit, could never get the right ratio. Was either to close to choking or extracting to fast, never really a good medium (coffee tasted better with the pressure clip in).
mrhagerty

Posted Wed Jul 11, 2012, 8:17am

Yeah, I just tried this last night and quite agree.   It seems to be a changeover that doesn't make a whole lot of difference and actually introduces new unknowns.

My first pull was hardly any different from the pressurized version.  But I also was in the habit of tamping before (even tho that is said to be unnecessary).  Perhaps that managed to equalize any differences I might have experienced.

I might experiment a bit more and I'm due to roast again about now.

thanks for the tips.

Mike
CMIN

Posted Wed Jul 11, 2012, 9:49am

mrhagerty Said:

Yeah, I just tried this last night and quite agree.   It seems to be a changeover that doesn't make a whole lot of difference and actually introduces new unknowns.

My first pull was hardly any different from the pressurized version.  But I also was in the habit of tamping before (even tho that is said to be unnecessary).  Perhaps that managed to equalize any differences I might have experienced.

I might experiment a bit more and I'm due to roast again about now.

thanks for the tips.

Mike

Posted July 11, 2012 link

I think the machines that can handle being depressurized well are when you get into the Gaggia's and similar that come with pressurized PF's, they just have better power, group heads, PFs etc. The cheaper ones like Delonghi just seemed to work better while pressurized, but still fun to play with depressurized...I just though the coffee on my bar32 tasted better with the pressure clip in. I started having some issues with the bar32 so that pry hurt my results, as others with Deloghi's said they've pulled decent shots depressurized.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > De-pressurizing...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.200688123703)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+