Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Duetto Suddenly Throwing Higher Pressure and Increase in Overflow
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Duetto Suddenly...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
ryandunlap

Posted Sat Jul 7, 2012, 6:01am
Subject: Duetto Suddenly Throwing Higher Pressure and Increase in Overflow

Recently my Duetto II has been throwing about 11-12 bars of pressure and a noticeable flow of water pours into the overflow tray.

It was not gradual, but appears to have happened suddenly under otherwise normal performance.

Some considerations for your debugging:

(1) The machine is less than a year old.
(2) My water is hard and I've been pretty negligent in converting it to softer water.
(3) I don't regularly clean my machine either. :(

Thanks in advance!
 View Profile Link to this post
ryandunlap

Posted Sat Jul 7, 2012, 8:59am
Subject: Re: Duetto Suddenly Throwing Higher Pressure and Increase in Overflow

Not sure if this is related either, but the lever doesn't seem as reliable staying in the up position. (A slight touch and it turns off.) But that might be unrelated and just needs to be tightened, unless pressure helps keep it staying up.

Thanks again.
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Sat Jul 7, 2012, 12:38pm

I'd recommend a descale and thorough detergent backflush.  You'll probably want to remove the shower screen and thoroughly clean the group head.  Be sure to have backup screen and a backup gasket handy, in case you have to ruin them when you remove them. That may be all you need.

If you try these steps and they don't work, I'm sure someone more experienced in troubleshooting and repair will chime in and help.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Mon Jul 9, 2012, 3:40pm

Ryan,

How's your Duetto doing?  Were you able to get your problem solved?  I was thinking more, and especially because of the sudden onset, would really suspect that some crud got into one of the group valves.

ryandunlap

Posted Mon Jul 9, 2012, 7:32pm

I haven't been able to descale it yet. (Just drinking the worst caps ever.) I'll try to descale this weekend, but I'm not sure how. Haven't I read that's something that shouldn't be done by consumers? Is there a guide? Do I just use white vinegar?

(I did do the backflush and that had little effect.)
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Tue Jul 10, 2012, 7:30am

I've seen three different guides for descaling a DB machine, but don't have the links handy (sorry).  

In no particular order...

Home-Barista's cleaning and maintenance guide (it covers pretty much every type of machine and includes how-to's and how-often-to's)
The Vibiemme Double Domobar Manual (written by Randy Glass - aka "frcn").  Downloadable from Stefano's website.
1st-line.com

I've got 1st-line's guide in a Word 2007 document and I've got the Vibiemme manual on my hard drive, so if you shoot me an email I can send you them both.  The Vibiemme manual also has an awesome detailed explanation of the mechanics of E-61.

It really doesn't sound all that difficult and if you've ever descaled an SBDU you shouldn't have any problem at all, as long as you follow their directions. (right, I haven't done mine yet either, but I don't see me sending it out for that).

I plan to use Cafitza, but there are other products available.  You can get one or more of them from all of the well-respected sites you always read about here in CG for parts, supplies, etc.

When you order, you might want to pick up an in reservoir softener.  Chris' has a good one that merely requires a cartridge swap periodically.  It's a little more expensive in the long run than one that you have to run salt through to recharge, but it's way more convenient (and IMO worth it).  They say replace the cartridge every 3 months, but I recommend getting a bunch of test strips and checking the water coming out of your hot water wand (just let it cool to room temp before you check the hardness).

view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Duetto Suddenly...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.204493045807)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+