Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
OPV valve and pressure gauge fitted to sunbeam 4800C
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > OPV valve and...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
krld

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Sunbeam 4800c
Grinder: Kyocera Hand Grinder
Roaster: Popcorn popper
Posted Sun Jul 1, 2012, 8:07pm
Subject: OPV valve and pressure gauge fitted to sunbeam 4800C

I'm a coffee lover and getting right into the art of coffee making since my wife bought me a sunbeam 4800c. The 4800c took me a long time to figure out how to get descent shots of espresso from it. My journey so far...

I started off with ground coffee beans from the supermarket (yuch!). Then bought a Kyocera hand grinder for $70 online and I think it's pretty good at grinding, I know there is a lot of discussions about paying big bucks for a good grinder and admmitedly I haven't tried an expensive grinder yet, however I recommend the Kyocera that I'm using and think it works very well.

After a fair bit of searching and advice from this website from other people trying to get good coffee from their machine, I purchased a descent tamper (the plastic one that comes with the 4800c is fairly useless) and an unpressurised basket (also recommend). I also bought espresso shot glasses so I could easily measure the extraction volume within the 25-30 seconds

The biggest thing I noticed was getting freshly roasted coffee beans from Newtown and the taste was so good as compared to the store bought beans. Then I was given a Tempo popcorn maker as a present and found out about roasted coffee beans with them at home. Bought green coffee beans so cheap and wow!, for anyone not roasting at home, please do -  it has made the biggest difference to my home coffee's!!

Now, i make pretty decent enough shots but found my machine wasn't consistent as it relied on my tamping pressure to adjust the pressure at the brew head. One coffee would be nice, then I would maybe not press slightly as much and the next shot would not be as nice. It frustrated me so much I nearly gave up on it. I think the sunbeam 6910 is the same on it's extraction functioning, then I found info about OPV valves.

I decided to buy a Vibiemme Domobar bypass valve and also a gauge so I knew what pressures I was adjusting to, and piped them in after the pump and before the Thermoblock (the thread was the same). I have now set the pressure to 10 bar and so far, the bitterness is gone and the shots are consistent and very nice. It costs only about $60 odd bucks to upgrade and makes a big difference. Also, the pressure drops immediately after extraction and stops spurting out when removing the portafilter (must be the valve letting air in?). I made an access hole at the side where the valve is and i can easily slide a screwdriver in and can now adjust the pressure without stripping down the machine again.

Many people seem to go for name brand machines and say to save up to get a Silvia, but I cannot afford to pay that much for a coffee machine for starters and on a technical level, it's a machine that has valves pump etc so can be modified to at least get better shots. I'm not saying my machine pulls shots like a silvia or anything but I'm happy with the results and am posting this to show other cheap model espresso machine owners that this is a cheap, easy mod that can make a big difference to their machine. I was so fed up with getting inconsistent shots that were always slightly bitter due to the high pressures from my machine but am now very happy with the results. I haven't really found anyone modifying cheapish machines and recommend this.

If anyone wants  any more info please ask and here are some pictures of it fitted to my 4800c. Also, if anyone has an advice for me on bettering my coffee making, please let me know !!

krld: IMG_3170.JPG
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
krld

Posted Sun Jul 1, 2012, 8:51pm
Subject: Re: OPV valve and pressure gauge fitted to sunbeam 4800C

The front fitted with new gauge

krld: IMG_3167.JPG
(Click for larger image)
krld

Posted Sun Jul 1, 2012, 8:51pm

Also side access hole to adjust pressure

krld: IMG_3168.JPG
(Click for larger image)
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Sun Jul 1, 2012, 9:14pm

LOL Karl! I just sent you an E-mail advising that you post the pics you sent me, and I look and you already had done so!
Very nice job on the upgrade!

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > OPV valve and...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.203103780746)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+