Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Maintenance advice for new owner of older Quick Mill Andreja (not Premium!)?
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Maintenance...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
acodring

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Quick Mill Andreja
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Fri Jun 15, 2012, 9:03pm
Subject: Maintenance advice for new owner of older Quick Mill Andreja (not Premium!)?

Hi,
I bought a used Andreja recently. I had been considering starting my espresso journey with something like a Crossland CC1 until a kijiji ad for a complete e61 and Baratza Vario grinder setup jumped out at me. Maybe it wasn't good judgement, but here I am.

I had a look at the group gasket last weekend. It was deformed and then cracked when I tried to replace it.

That made me think a rebuild of the rest of the group might be overdue as well.

Am I overreacting? Are there tell-tale signs that the group needs work?

If it does need work, does anyone sell a kit of the main parts that will need replacement? I've found kits for other machines online, but nothing for a Quick Mill yet. Our local espresso machine servicing place, Morala, didn't even have an 8.5mm (I hope thats the size it needs!) group gasket in stock.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Andrew
 View Profile Link to this post
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Fri Jun 15, 2012, 10:18pm
Subject: Re: Maintenance advice for new owner of older Quick Mill Andreja (not Premium!)?

I have just what you are looking for:
Complete overhaul of the E-61 Group - Step by step instructions.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
acodring

Posted Sat Jun 16, 2012, 12:46pm
Subject: Re: Maintenance advice for new owner of older Quick Mill Andreja (not Premium!)?

frcn Said:

I have just what you are looking for:
Complete overhaul of the E-61 Group - Step by step instructions.

Posted June 15, 2012 link

That definitely looks like it will get me through! Thanks for writing that up, and for pointing it out. My google and forum searches hadn't turned that up yet.

Next challenge is getting the parts I will need before I start taking things apart.

Some of the questions I have as I try to navigate all the parts sites are:
How interchangeable are E61 parts between manufacturers?
Should I be looking for Quick Mill E61 parts?
Did I see somewhere that Quick Mill E61 groups are made by Faema?
Do I need to watch out for differences between the Andreja and Andreja Premium group? Apparently my machine passed through Chris' Coffee at some point in its (sordid?) past and has had some of the mods he used to design the Andreja Premium. Not sure which though!

I got the group gasket from Morala this morning and they said a technician will call me during the week about other parts. Hopefully that will go well. I'd prefer to buy from a local shop if I can.

Thanks again Randy.
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Sun Jun 17, 2012, 7:23am

That page doesn't get a lot of hits.

Call CC and talk to them. Probably best to get the right parts as the various manufacturers of E-61's do use their own designs, and while generally similar, slight variances such as the length of the valves will dramatically affect t function.

I would advise opening the thing up and examining the ends of the valves. I am sure that it will need seals, but if the valves are worn then it is easiest just to replace them.  CC will probably be able to sell you the entire "kit" of all the parts. IF the metal parts are not worn and IF they come apart, and IF you can get the valve seals out then those can be replaced separately. Use heat to loosen any possible locking compound they used in assembly.

But from your description of the group gasket, I would assume that the inside of the group is just as neglected and you will end up doing a full overhaul.

Also get one or two more group gaskets to have spares. Seal them in plastic bags.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Jun 19, 2012, 6:15am

Just a thought but the GH may not need an overhaul. The PF gasket is a commonly changed part and the normal life is in the range of 6 months. The internal parts tend to last much longer. If the GH is working fine, you might just want to use it as is until it needs a rebuild. Just a thought, like I said. Enjoy.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
acodring

Posted Sun Jun 24, 2012, 12:51pm
Subject: Quick Mill Andreja - big bang theories?

I sent an email to Chris Coffee and they got back with a helpful list of parts.

@calblacksmith: I'm hopeful the group is ok. I don't really have a sense of what to watch for yet. I'm tempted to tear it down just to confirm it looks OK. Famous last words...

Even before I've taken it apart I've just had a big scare as there was a big thumping bang from inside the machine followed by a cloud of steam. First time its done that in the few weeks I've had the machine.

I'm waiting for it to cool before having a look inside the case.

Could it just have been a pressure release valve or is it more likely the boiler giving out? The boiler pressure gauge stayed high, over 1.5 bar. That's into the 'red zone' on the dial so probably not good either, but I think that means my boiler is still in one piece.

Another issue is the steam wand dripping during warmup, but I'm hopeful that's an easy fix for later. It's not a big problem.

More news to come.
acodring

Posted Sun Jun 24, 2012, 5:35pm
Subject: Video replay of relief valve relieving itself

Exciting stuff:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0DFd8Bg26Q (Youtube, 5s)
acodring

Posted Tue Jun 26, 2012, 6:20pm
Subject: Re: Video replay of relief valve relieving itself

This site (http://www.espresso-restorations.com/p-stats.html), some diaphragm exercises and a little citric acid bath for the innards of the pstat have things working again for now.

I'll be placing an order for a new pstat tonight so I'm ready for when it goes for good.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Maintenance...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Saeco Espresso Machines
Large selection in-stock, includes Free Gifts and Free Shipping!
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.228257894516)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+