Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Modifying Saeco Via Venezia (OPV, p. gauge, depres. PF, pressure profiling, etc)
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Modifying Saeco...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
frank828

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: GS3
Grinder: RoburE, Kenia
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: Brazen, CCD, Aeropress, V60,...
Roaster: Behmor, Air Crazy
Posted Tue May 15, 2012, 4:41pm
Subject: Modifying Saeco Via Venezia (OPV, p. gauge, depres. PF, pressure profiling, etc)

Hey guys, so i recently got my Saeco Via Venezia from CL and i cant help but start modding it.  I believe the Aroma and Starbucks Barista machine is pretty much the same thing, also(thinking adding these words will probably help for the search engine)

wsikes and i have been talking back and forth in his grinder thread and i figured that the information would be more useful in this forum in it's own thread.

Depressurizing the PF:
So one of the first things i did so far is depressurize the portafilter.  i know this has been described in detail many times before.  It is extremely simple, just remove the three screws on the bottom of the PF and pop off the plastic mechanism inside with a flat head screwdriver then push out the rubber gasket.  Clean up all the parts and reassemble without the gasket and plastic mech.

Pressure Gauge:
Next, i heard that these machines come set running at about 11bar(for the ese pods) and i'd like to get it to 9bar.  I have no way of measuring the pressure as of yet.   I built a pressure gauge to attach to the steam wand where i'd open up the steam wand in brew mode and close off a release valve at the end of the gauge.  The problem i have now is that the hose i have hooked up to the steam wand is too wide and wont seal well enough to hold in the pressure.  I'm considering either replacing the steam wand with a gaggia wand or silvia wand as i hear they use a thicker wand and should fit properly with the 1/4" inner diameter hose i have.  Otherwise, i'll need a smaller hose and a smaller barb to the gauge.  I followed the instructions from this video to build it.   Click Here (www.youtube.com)
The other option is if you have the unpressurized portafilter from seattle coffee gear with the spout, i'm thinking something like this may work Click Here (www.espressotec.com)

Overpressure Valve(OPV):
So from my searching around, everyone seems to say to just add an OPV from a different machine as these Saeco machines are not supposed to have an OPV.  
From my research, i found that there is a pressure release valve installed from the factory.  This valve Click Here (www.espressocare.com)  is installed.    You can see it here on the left of the pump http://www.myschiffman.org/cg/CIMG0378-2.JPG (not my picture, credit goes to http://ulkapumprepair.blogspot.com/ ).  
I was curious why no one mentioned this valve in all the searching of information that i did and figured there must be something about this valve that wouldnt allow me to adjust pressure.   So then i contacted Stefano at http://www.espressocare.com asking about the valve and if it is indeed adjustable and if not, what valve would be better.   He informed me that the valve is indeed adjustable by screwing or unscrewing the barbed end(usually bottomed out by factory) but since there is no pressure gauge, it would be difficult to know what the adjustment would end up at.

another option for adjusting the pressure i found from Click Here (www.saecomods.com) by using a lamp dimmer to adjust the voltage going to the pump.  it seems pretty simple and from what they are saying, it is pretty reliable and effective.  I have a dimmer on order right now and may use it if manually adjusting doesnt work for me.

*pressure profiling mod(should work on many other machines, not just the saeco).  info here: "Re: Pressure Profiling Mod - (originally "What kind of valve do i need?")"

another thing i found curious is the changed restricted showerhead screen on the current models for the ESE pods.  I wonder if simply replacing the current with the older screen with more holes would be enough to adjust the pressure at the puck.   Here's the older style screen   http://www.espressoparts.com/SAE_1?&search_id=1706140  and here's the one that comes with the ESE compatible machines   http://www.espressoparts.com/SAE_15?&search_id=1706140

so that's what i have so far and i'll update if i have any progress.  hopefully this info can help someone else looking for the same kind of info.
 View Profile Link to this post
wsikes
wsikes
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Promac MD-64 AT
Drip: Bunn
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Tue May 15, 2012, 5:58pm
Subject: Re: Modifying my Saeco Via Venezia (OPV, pressure gauge, depressurized PF, etc)

Frank, I think the pressure relief valve is just a blow-off valve like the one on a hot water heater.  If you set it to a lower pressure it will likely be activated by normal boiler pressure and blow steam and hot water off inside the machine.

Bill
frank828

Posted Tue May 15, 2012, 6:03pm
Subject: Re: Modifying my Saeco Via Venezia (OPV, pressure gauge, depressurized PF, etc)

actually the valve that i have has a hose that goes back to the water tank.  you can see it in this picture.  It is connected directly onto the pump before the boiler.  

i had at first thought it was just a safety valve also and that's why i contacted Stefano about the part.
frank828

Posted Tue May 15, 2012, 6:06pm

btw i just ordered a silvia v3 steam wand and will attempt to get it to fit.  I should be able to remove the nozzle and attach the 1/4" tubing from the gauge onto it as long as it's a thicker wand and closer to the size of the gaggia's.

im hoping this will solve this problem AND give me a better steaming wand when i'm done.  I might have to elevate the machine if the wand is too long, though.
wsikes
wsikes

Posted Tue May 15, 2012, 6:19pm

Good luck with the valve and the steam wand.  I called Seattle Coffee Gear and the parts guys were gone for the day, but the lady on the phone assured that the steam wand you ordered will not fit my old style Aroma.  I am going to have to open my machine up and look for a valve like you are talking about on your machine.  If nothing else, I'll have to call Stephano myself after looking inside my machine.
I don't drink milk drinks but I made a cappo for my non-coffeedrinking wife the other night and I'll have to say that the old steam wand seemed to do a pretty good job.  Maybe it was beginner's luck.  So much to think about right now, but enjoying my "fast-pulled" Americanos for the time being.  Gotta get that dimmer switch installed this weekend.

Bill
frank828

Posted Tue May 15, 2012, 6:46pm

thanks Bill.   something i noticed is that the steam wand from my via venezia and the one from the aroma may be quite different.  

my steam wand has a big nut that is accessible from the bottom of the case that attaches to a male thread. here is a good picture of it http://common1.csnimages.com/lf/1/hash/1160/2985406/1/1.jpg

from what i see of pictures of the aromas, i think the wand is attached inside the casing and might make this much more difficult to do.

Hmm...i'll have to take pictures when i get my wand in.  Hopefully there is hope for both of us.
frank828

Posted Tue May 15, 2012, 6:50pm

this may also help you, Bill.   Click Here (www.ifixit.com)

on step 5 you can see the pump and the valve.  hopefully yours is the same way
wsikes
wsikes

Posted Tue May 15, 2012, 6:59pm

Nice link, Frank... I'll have the machine apart this weekend and hope for the best. I'm going to repost the link to see if I can get it to work without having to copy/paste.

Click Here (www.ifixit.com)

Thanks for the heads-up.

Bill
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Preciso
Posted Tue May 15, 2012, 8:57pm

I think this is a common adjustable valve as well.

Click Here (www.chriscoffee.com)

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
frank828

Posted Tue May 15, 2012, 9:38pm

hey D4F, yeah i saw that one while i was searching for information on OPVs.  Problem is that i dont know how i'd mount it AND the headache of finding the right connections/hoses to get it working.  

i'm really hoping the factory valve will work out.  

on a side note, i used to machine for the first time and got it dialed in in about 3-4 tries.  not bad.  used some intelli black cat and got it tasting somewhat close to the shot i got from them tonight.   i noticed after the 2nd shot, i couldnt distinguish any of the flavors.  damn espresso overload on my palate.

oh also, i have the naked portafilter coming from SCG in a day or two.  That should be fun.
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Modifying Saeco...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quick Mill Andreja
Best bang for the buck in E-61 Espresso Machines.  In stock, free shipping, 2 yr warranty!
cupandbrew.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.252856969833)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+