Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Modifying Saeco Via Venezia (OPV, p. gauge, depres. PF, pressure profiling, etc)
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Modifying Saeco...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Tue May 15, 2012, 10:07pm
Subject: Re: Modifying my Saeco Via Venezia (OPV, pressure gauge, depressurized PF, etc)

I've not used that valve nor held in im my hand.  It has threads, so, if I were to need one, I would get it and then try to find the proper fittings, or post to the guys with Isomac. I think Isomac is its primary use, or perhaps someone from Chris Coffee can tell you the threads.  With the fittings, it should be a cut line from a pump and splice in.

Or this and they might know and sell the fittings.
Click Here (espressocare.com)

Looks like you are about to a lot of fun.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
 View Profile Link to this post
wsikes
wsikes
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Promac MD-64 AT
Drip: Bunn
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Wed May 16, 2012, 5:16am
Subject: Re: Modifying my Saeco Via Venezia (OPV, pressure gauge, depressurized PF, etc)

Frank, if the pump is indeed adjustable that would be great, but the bad thing is that it looks like it would be a hit-or-miss procedure since you wouldn't know the results of your adjustment until after reassembling the pump and giving it a test.  It may take several procedures to get the pressure in the ballpark, but it would probably be worth it in the long run.  Let me know which way you need to adjust the plunger to lower the pressure and how large of an adjustment you have to make to get the group pressure to around 9 bar.

Bill
wsikes
wsikes

Posted Wed May 16, 2012, 5:27am

Not sure if this will help in any way, but doubt it can hurt... here is another link where a guy disassembles his ULKA pump to repair it... good pics.

Click Here (ulkapumprepair.blogspot.com)

Bill
frank828

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: GS3
Grinder: RoburE, Kenia
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: Brazen, CCD, Aeropress, V60,...
Roaster: Behmor, Air Crazy
Posted Sat May 19, 2012, 11:48am

i made a bit of progress on the pressure gauge.  unfortunately i think this will only apply for the barista and via venezia models.  Though, you should be able to do something similar with different size fittings.

so, the steam wand is connected to the machine via a nut.  I removed the steam wand and the nut and connected the 1/4" hose through a 3/8" FNPT x 1/4" barb  adapter(actually had to get a female coupler to switch the male fitting to female).   I thought that the machine would use BSP threads but the NPT seems to fit fine.  

Unfortunately i havent been able to use the gauge yet because Lowe's doesnt carry any hose clamps that fit a 1/4"(or smaller) tube.   When i hook it up, i'm getting pretty bad leakage at the hose without any clamps.   I'll head to home depot or an auto parts store tonight to get smaller hose clamps.
wsikes
wsikes

Posted Sat May 19, 2012, 12:02pm

Would small wire ties be a temporary fix?

Bill
frank828

Posted Sat May 19, 2012, 12:05pm

it might be...but i forgot to buy them last night.  :P
frank828

Posted Wed May 23, 2012, 2:30pm

more pressure gauge struggle.

so i decided to eliminate the use of the tubing for the gauge.  there was too much swelling and it concerned me.

i decided to use all solid brass fittings and connected it to the male threaded section where the steam wand threads into.

it works somewhat but the problem is that there is leakage at the connection from the fitting to the machine or somewhere above it.

when i try to pull a shot with the gauge in place, i will get water dripping out of the connection and around the grouphead.  It seems to be reading the gauge fairly stably but i end up with water going into my shot glass.

so at this point, im thinking i may need the british threading to connect the gauge to the machine(i was using NPT).   im getting kinda frustrated with all the purchases and lack of results.  i may put this on hold for a while and just focus on getting better results in the cup.
wsikes
wsikes

Posted Wed May 23, 2012, 2:45pm

Maybe down the road you can put together a portafilter pressure gauge.  I got my lamp dimmer but I'm going to wait on that little project.  I just ground my coffee a little finer and slowed down the pull.  I might use the dimmer on my new old Gaggia Classic for low pressure backflushes.  I may not even need it there... I'll know more when the machine gets here.
Catch you later...

Bill
D4F

Posted Wed May 23, 2012, 2:50pm

frank828 Said:

i may put this on hold for a while and just focus on getting better results in the cup.

Posted May 23, 2012 link

Once you measure a pressure and set it the gauge is not needed anyway.  I used a gauge on the PF to set the OPV and have not checked since.  I can easily hook it up if I get curious or have a problem that I think could be pressure related.  I love technology and d-i-y, but in the end it is about brewing and the cup, more me than the technology.

D4F also at
D4F

Posted Wed May 23, 2012, 3:05pm

You might be interested in this thread if not already read.

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machinemods/566170

Tracerbullet found some fittings for Gaggia and might have some ideas.

D4F also at
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Modifying Saeco...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.243368864059)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+