Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Going for the PID kit for Sylvia from Jim Gallt...Please confirm this is wise!
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Going for the...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 7 last page next page
Author Messages
Beavis

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quickmill Alexia
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: French Press/Clever Dripper
Roaster: Want a Behmor!
Posted Wed Apr 25, 2007, 5:42pm
Subject: Going for the PID kit for Sylvia from Jim Gallt...Please confirm this is wise!

I need confirmation that this is a good idea and much improves Sylvias performance. The Model SD3 seems to be the one I'm gravitating towards. Please board, tell me this is $240 well spent and that I'm not throwing my $$$ away.
I get decent shots from Sylvia and really good ones when I focus and am not in a hurry. I figure stable temp should help me the most as that seems to be the most unstable portion of the equation with Sylvia.
Help! Please chime in. Thanks!!
 View Profile Link to this post
Yeltnerb

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vivaldi
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Drip: AeroPress
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Fri Apr 27, 2007, 7:35am
Subject: Re: Going for the PID kit for Sylvia

it makes getting the really good shots happen more frequently with a silvia.

great machine upgrade.
Perpetual_Buzz
Perpetual_Buzz

Espresso: Pimped Silvia
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Drip: No drip, French Press
Roaster: Whirley Pop/Char-Broil Grill
Posted Fri Apr 27, 2007, 7:52am
Subject: Re: Going for the PID kit for Sylvia

See this thread just installed my PID Kit from Jim G. on my Sylvia...wish I had a year ago.

The short answer is yes.  Jim is a great guy with a great product, it's easy and well worth which ever one you get...and it looks professional.

Everybody needs an addiction.

I'm not addicted to coffee, I just have to have a cup EVERY morning.
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Fri Apr 27, 2007, 8:05am
Subject: Re:Going for the PID kit for Sylvia from Jim Gallt.Please confirm this is wise!

Beavis Said:

I need confirmation that this is a good idea and much improves Sylvias performance. The Model SD3 seems to be the one I'm gravitating towards. Please board, tell me this is $240 well spent and that I'm not throwing my $$$ away.
I get decent shots from Sylvia and really good ones when I focus and am not in a hurry. I figure stable temp should help me the most as that seems to be the most unstable portion of the equation with Sylvia.
Help! Please chime in. Thanks!!

Posted April 25, 2007 link

Hi Douglas!

Please read/search my posts here about it, Jim's 100% eBay feedback, all the charts, graphs, & info Jim has on his home page., my highly recommended permanent addition to my site.., & last but certainly not least, all the satisfied customers right here & that haven't chimed in yet. {;-)

BEST thing I've ever done for Miss Silvia! {;-D

P.S. I've read this quite a lot on alt.coffee & the first time I've ever said this but it's worth repeating. "I am in no way affiliated commercially with the above mentioned company, nor do I profit in any way financially."
I'm just an end user with my PID'd home machine, the Rancilio Miss Silvia & an extremely happy camper!,
Cheers!

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
inkstar
inkstar

Espresso: My Sweet Girl - Silvia
Grinder: KA Proline - modified
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Pour over, Apress
Roaster: rk drum, hot air
Posted Fri Apr 27, 2007, 9:36am
Subject: Re: Going for the PID kit for Sylvia from Jim Gallt...Please confirm this is wis

$240 seems like a lot to PID a Silvia.  I typically spend $80 to PID machines.  Try www.auberins.com for parts.  They have thermocouples specifically for Silvia and Gaggias.  PIDing is super easy and so many people can help.  You are very wise to ask in the forum.
I'm glad to help as well.  PID everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CraigA
CraigA

Posted Fri Apr 27, 2007, 9:53am
Subject: Re: Going for the PID kit for Sylvia from Jim Gallt...Please confirm this is wis

I just got a LN Like New controller for $51 USD, my 3rd! This included a 25A SSR & the therm prob & pre calibrated too!! {:-D
Jim said he had an overstock of different controllers & it'd be wise to check his auctions from time to time to see what's available.

Jim's tested the Auberin controller throughly, & doesn't recommend them due to having membrane push buttons that crack over time & the temp stability & overshoot, maximum operating environmental temp for the controller isn't as high, etc.

Jim also uses special loss limit thermocouple wire that has 4 times better accuracy & is teflon coated, not fiberglass braid.

Quote: "Custom made type T thermocouple probe, using Special Limits of Error (SLE) wire. Others use type K or J thermocouples. The thermocouples in our kits have less than 1/4 the error limits of standard type K or J probes. (Each individual thermocouple is tested and its calibration verified before shipping)."

Ya get what ya pay for!

View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Everman
Everman
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Valentina Levetta, Elektra...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Fri Apr 27, 2007, 10:26am

PID on silvia is a great thing. When I did it, I just bought all the parts from ttiglobal.com, I used a fuji pxr3. I'm sure you can pay significantly less if you do it yourself, and it's very easy to do. (I'm not an engineer, just kinda geeky)
CraigA
CraigA

Posted Fri Apr 27, 2007, 10:37am

Everman Said:

PID on silvia is a great thing. When I did it, I just bought all the parts from ttiglobal.com, I used a fuji pxr3. I'm sure you can pay significantly less if you do it yourself, and it's very easy to do. (I'm not an engineer, just kinda geeky)

Posted April 27, 2007 link

Yeah, easy to do & I was going to do that too Andrew, but never got around to it. What I'm sayin' is it was CHEAPER having a professionally built & assembled, calibrated kit ready to go! Look at the price of a 25, 50A SSR, controller, thermocouple, etc.

My Watlow 965A complete kit cost $149 USD in June 6/06!, look at what just the Fuji, Watlow, any controller/s cost these days. The Fuji alone start @ $139.00.

http://www.ttiglobal.com/Product.aspx?ProductID=4714

mcKoffee
mcKoffee

Espresso: VBM DD, Bricoletta, Audrey,...
Grinder: Major,SJ, Rocky,...
Vac Pot: Gold Royal Balance
Drip: When it rains...Aero,...
Roaster: USRC3k,CCR HT, Behmor, Cafe...
Posted Fri Apr 27, 2007, 10:43am
Subject: Going for the PID kit for Sylvia from Jim Gallt...Please confirm this is wise!

Temp surfed Silvia for two years then ran boiler PID'd a couple more. PID'd boiler mucho simpler for determining temp for first or second shot in a series, after that group temp creep takes over rising about 3f shot 3 and a good 12f by shot 6. Since I entertained periodically group temp creep was a problem that needed addressing and actually bought a rope heater and second PID to stabilize group temp ala Andy. But before getting it installed ended up upgrading to Bricoletta. So I'd say yes boiler temp PID control will give good boiler temp accuracy, but not necessarily good shot temp accuracy depending on shot frequency. Attempting to accurately hit shot temp as group temp rose in a series was a major PIA and hence the decision for rope heater PID group mod. FWIW shot temp testing need found by shot taste problem entertaining (shots going way bitter in a series), tests executed using Scace Thermofilter.

miKe mcKoffee aka Mike McGinness
www.CompassCoffeeRoasting.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
inkstar
inkstar

Espresso: My Sweet Girl - Silvia
Grinder: KA Proline - modified
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Pour over, Apress
Roaster: rk drum, hot air
Posted Fri Apr 27, 2007, 10:45am
Subject: Re: Going for the PID kit for Sylvia from Jim Gallt

Doing it yourself is cheaper and you will be satisfied even with less than the best parts.  If money is no object, Jim's piece should be perfect, it's a quality piece and he takes pride in it.  I however, prefer RTD's over Thermo's.  Next step for you is to add a timer and pressure gauge. www.flickr.com/photos/inkstar
showing page 1 of 7 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Going for the...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.281815052032)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+