Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Wega EVD restoration
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Wega EVD...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
west77
west77
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: WEGA 2 group Airy, Rancilio...
Grinder: Carimali M1, Nuova Simonelli...
Vac Pot: Cory gasketless
Drip: What's drip?
Roaster: Fratello ;)
Posted Thu Feb 23, 2012, 1:39am
Subject: Re: Wega EVD restoration

Cool pic of the data plate.  Mine is missing the PSI rating and the amps (and I am too lazy to figure them out.)  It says it runs @ 240V and 3100W...

Anyhow, I used razor blades and fine abrasive wheels on a die grinder when I used to do engine work to remove old gasket material.  I would be a little more cautious as the brass seems like it would far easier to score with a blade or grind with a wheel.  However, with extreme caution a really sharp blade might be your best bet (or somebody might chime in with a better way...)

After all this work you are considering selling the perfect machine to last the rest of your life and a machine you will never feel the need to upgrade?  (part of me understands- having the entire kitchen taken over by grinders and machines is not for everyone and if you are moving and renting it is hard for a 220V plumbed in machine to travel with you.)

Glad that they found the pump.  I think I ended up paying around $100 for the pump and another $150 or $200 for the motor to drive it.  Hopefully it all works when you reunite them.  When I called the seller they assumed that the pump was left under the counter when they closed the coffee shop- there was no luck for me on that front.
 View Profile Link to this post
l8nightCaffeine
l8nightCaffeine

Posted Sat Feb 25, 2012, 8:50pm

The citric acid arrived and I was able to clean up the groupheads. They look a lot better, however I was not able to take off the spray nozzle off one of the groupheads. I also did damage to the other while taking it off. I will likely just leave them for now, and drill out the one that was stuck (using one of the bolt removing drill bits) and replace both. However, I have already ordered parts, and do not wish to wait for more parts, and pay for shipping again.

before:

l8nightCaffeine: DSCN3681.JPG
(Click for larger image)
l8nightCaffeine
l8nightCaffeine

Posted Sat Feb 25, 2012, 8:55pm

After finding the largest crescent wrench and feeling very weak, I managed to get the upper sleeve off. There was plenty of scale that needed to be cleaned up.

l8nightCaffeine: DSCN5853.JPG
(Click for larger image)
l8nightCaffeine
l8nightCaffeine

Posted Sat Feb 25, 2012, 8:59pm

looking a lot better, but as you can see the spray nozzles were mutilated.

l8nightCaffeine: DSCN5877.JPG
(Click for larger image)
l8nightCaffeine
l8nightCaffeine

Posted Sat Feb 25, 2012, 9:08pm

My father returned from Chicago with the "pump", as previously stated I was not completely sure what I would actually be getting...but never did I expect a water softener...so now this is going up for trade, as I have no plan to even plumb this machine in.

I will be putting it up for trade, otherwise up for sale, and will look at getting a carbonator off ebay as someone on this had mentioned works for espresso machines with a bit of tweaking.

l8nightCaffeine: DSCN5854.JPG
(Click for larger image)
l8nightCaffeine
l8nightCaffeine

Posted Sun Mar 25, 2012, 8:37pm

So life has been a little hectic lately. (The restaurant I bus tables at had 2 bus boys walk out, fired one for not showing up,and one just put in their two weeks. So we have 2 of the original 5 bus boys left, so I'm working more than I would prefer).

I have still been making steady progress, just have been unable to post any of it for you all to enjoy with me. I will try to make short timeline again.

I have (finally) finished painting, with 3 coats on each side, and 1 touch up coat for spots that I didn't think got a good enough coat the first pass. (I used 3 cans of spray paint in total)

This is the end result (it is more than the bare frame, but i forgot to take a picture of the bare frame)

l8nightCaffeine: DSCN5883.JPG
(Click for larger image)
l8nightCaffeine
l8nightCaffeine

Posted Sun Mar 25, 2012, 8:41pm

I than continued to start wiring and placed the boiler in position.

The wiring took longer than I would have ever imagined.
It was likely caused by a bit of OCD and over reaction to having any wire outside of the plastic shielding. (I am no where near finished in this picture)

I had also forgot to bring the heating element gasket from my apartment to my parents so that went in after this picture also.

l8nightCaffeine: DSCN5886.JPG
(Click for larger image)
l8nightCaffeine
l8nightCaffeine

Posted Sun Mar 25, 2012, 8:46pm

Here is progress after all the wiring was finished, and all of the plumbing including group heads were re-installed.

If you can notice the different gloss levels in different parts (lower left of the frame vs the rest) The spray-paint cans must have gotten mixed up or lacked good quality control.
I will say it once more, if you have the money to powder coat, DO IT! unfortunately this was a, on a budget project.

l8nightCaffeine: DSCN5893.JPG
(Click for larger image)
l8nightCaffeine
l8nightCaffeine

Posted Sun Mar 25, 2012, 8:50pm

Just a top down look of the same level of progress, just needed to put the stainless steel back on and it would be ready to move back to my apartment for testing.

l8nightCaffeine: DSCN5900.JPG
(Click for larger image)
l8nightCaffeine
l8nightCaffeine

Posted Sun Mar 25, 2012, 8:57pm

Here it is hopefully to stay for awhile. I started with a dozen or so leaks before hooking up a pump and simply at main water line pressure. Fixed those so it did not leak, and filled the boiler with the manual fill and turned it on (without the heating element hooked up), all seemed to be ok, with solenoids doing what they should.

I decided to wait to do more testing until the pump/carbonator I ordered from ebay showed up.

l8nightCaffeine: DSCN5912.JPG
(Click for larger image)
showing page 3 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Wega EVD...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.319977998734)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+