Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Gaggia Classic SBDU Preheat PID Temperature Recovery and Stability, Steam
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Gaggia Classic...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 38 of 40 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Fri Jun 13, 2014, 5:09pm
Subject: Re: Gaggia Classic SBDU Preheat PID Temperature Recovery and Stability, Steam

You have read a lot :)  Let me know if you want help.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
 View Profile Link to this post
csader

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Jun 13, 2014, 8:18pm
Subject: Re: Gaggia Classic SBDU Preheat PID Temperature Recovery and Stability, Steam

Can you clarify the PID to SSR connections for the 3 function setup?

One wire going from PID's SSR output, through a diode, into SSR+?

Then I should have a wire going from the first iphone's positive (+) connection going into the Alarm 1, then out of Alarm 1, through a diode, into SSR+?

Then a wire going from the second iphone's positive (+) connection going into the Alarm 2, then out of Alarm 2, through a diode, into SSR+?

Now for the dumb question: Which terminals on the PID are the alarm 1 and 2 terminals? I'm assuming based on what I've read that the Alarm 1 in and out wires mentioned above should go in/out of terminals 4 and 5 (in any order?) and Alarm 2 in and out should go in/out of terminals 13 and 14?
D4F

Posted Fri Jun 13, 2014, 9:54pm

Yes I used terminals 4 and 5 and 13 and 14. You can put either alarm on either terminal you just have to remember which set of terminals is controlled by which switch and set the temperatures accordingly. In other words alarm 1 can do either function it's just a matter of which switch control it and which temperature.

Yes the positive leads go from positive out at the iPhone charger to either side of the alarm pair and then out the other. In other words in on 4 and out on five or reversed, similar on 13 and 14. Yes the diode them goes on the positive lead. My diodes are all next to the SSR and then the three leads out of the three diodes Go to the positive SSR terminal.

Sorry, sent from my iPhone.

D4F also at
csader

Posted Fri Jun 13, 2014, 10:30pm

Thanks. I think I'm getting it.

One other problem I'm having is that the wiring color codes inside the machine don't seem to match up with the Auber instructions.

I should have piggybacks coming off of all of the 3 front switches, specifically on the tabs that read 120v with a DMM when switched on for each?

That is, 1 from the ON/OFF switch going into the PID AC +, 1 from the steam switch going into the first iPhone plug's prong, and 1 from the brew switch going into the second iPhone's prong?

Then for the 2 remaining iPhone prongs plus the PID AC -, those should all be tied into the rear negative (-) tab of the machine via a piggyback?
D4F

Posted Fri Jun 13, 2014, 10:42pm

That all sounds correct. Sorry to be brief but I cannot get onto coffee geeks from my computer and I'm having to use my iPhone.

D4F also at
csader

Posted Sat Jun 14, 2014, 2:13pm

Hmmm. I have everything hooked up, but I'm seeing some weird behavior.

When I first turned on the machine, the temperature rose quickly, but settled down around the 214 area (my SV setting).

Then I turned on the brew switch and the temp rose to around 224/225 (my intrashot alarm setting).

Then I turn OFF the brew switch and the temp started rising to upwards of 294/295 (my steam alarm setting)...but I didn't turn on the steam switch.

Now when I turn the machine back on at all, the temp quickly rises toward 295. It's as if the steam alarm is stuck ON now.

When I first turn on the machine, the AL1, AL2 and OUT lights are illuminated. As the temperature rises, all 3 lights stay on. Once the temp bypasses 214, the AL2 and OUT lights turn off (with an audible *tink*). AL1 is my steam setting, so again it seems as though the Steam alarm is somehow stuck ON...any ideas?
csader

Posted Sat Jun 14, 2014, 2:37pm

Update: I use a DMM to measure the voltage at the steam switch, and with the switch off I'm getting 120V on the switch terminal that should read 0 until turned on.

When I unplug the piggyback and hook up the steam switch with only the stock connectors, the terminal in question shows 0V until turned on, then shows 120V as it should.

I can't figure out what would be causing this...
D4F

Posted Sat Jun 14, 2014, 5:19pm

You could post a picture of what your steam switch hook up looks like. It sounds correct but I would like to see it. As I look at this team switch from the front, the wiring to the three-way valve is on the lower left of the steam switch in the wiring that will go to the charger on the right side. the top wire will bring in AC in the bottom wire will be the turn on wire to the charger.  Not sure you will actually have a piggyback involve there. I am still stuck on my iPhone. If you want to put your email address in your profile I will contact you.

D4F also at
csader

Posted Sat Jun 14, 2014, 8:09pm

Photo here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ik5inrihaluqyf6/Skitch1.png

Also updated my profile with my email address. Feel free to reach out if you have any ideas.
D4F

Posted Sat Jun 14, 2014, 8:28pm

PM sent.

D4F also at
showing page 38 of 40 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Gaggia Classic...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.224463939667)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+