Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Fiorenzato Bricoletta "back ordered" Heating Element Replacement Advice
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Fiorenzato...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
guyless

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Mar 8, 2012, 11:59am
Subject: Fiorenzato Bricoletta "back ordered" Heating Element Replacement Advice

This is my first post as a member, though I've very often come in desperation late at night to troll your archives for wisdom.

Here is my minor nightmare-- now just starting its 3rd week of total espresso deprivation. I have a late 2006 tank model Fiorenzato Bricoletta. A couple of weeks ago with the kindly diagnostic help of Jim at 1st Line via email in his telegraphic style, a bad heating element was isolated as the most likely suspect for its symptoms (lights on, pump working, reset unavailing, multi-meter indicating power reaching the heating element, but machine dead ice cold, and so on).

Unfortunately, the current version of the 1800w 115v Fiorenzato heater that Jim imports is and (has evidently been) out of stock for a while. New supply is meant to come in a container by ship, with an ETA of at least 2 more weeks, but maybe 4. Having lived in Italy for some years, and spotted a recent post here about Fiorenzato using the word "chaos" about parts supply from them, I am slightly panicked by the thought that 2-4 weeks could become 6-10 or who knows.

Accordingly, my first question is might anyone here have a spare working original Bricoletta heating element in a parts drawer or a dead machine?

Second, and more strictly on topic for a post here (especially since I am pretty far from being a skilled professional repair tech), I do NEED to take apart the machine and remove the boiler before making my attempt to unscrew the threaded heating element? Right?

My thinking here is that the heating element is screwed in VERY tightly (and since the boiler has no independent anchor to hold in place other than its various pipes and wires), nothing very good can come of addressing the element whilst in place. On the other hand, with 8 separate connections to deal with, followed by the very awkward dance of extracting the boiler from this maze (which I did about three years ago to replace a bad brain) is rather a pain-- to put it mildly. I wouldn't mind so much IF I had a replacement on hand and absolutely 100% knew the element was the problem. But under the circumstances, if there's any not so obvious safe trick/shortcut-- perhaps known to someone here who's worked on this machine--I'd be grateful indeed to know.

Finally, does anyone know by chance-- if all else fails-- of an ideal alternate heating element that is readily available? I assume the rub here is the fact the element is threaded to the boiler.

Any advice greatly appreciated.  

Guy
 View Profile Link to this post
JtothaR
JtothaR
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Faema D92/A1 Smart
Grinder: B VARIO, Krups Conic
Drip: Manual Pour-Over, Bodum...
Roaster: Redbird, Metropolis
Posted Thu Mar 8, 2012, 12:25pm
Subject: Re: Fiorenzato Bricoletta "back ordered" Heating Element Replacement Advice

guyless Said:

Finally, does anyone know by chance-- if all else fails-- of an ideal alternate heating element that is readily available? I assume the rub here is the fact the element is threaded to the boiler.

Any advice greatly appreciated.  

Guy

Posted March 8, 2012 link

The only element that seems close to comparable is a Brasilia 1800w threaded element. It appears to be much thicker than the Fiorenzato though and is also on backorder. Not to mention that you'd have to find out if the threads match.

Maybe you'll get lucky and someone's shop will have one lying around.

- James

Load and Lock.
guyless

Posted Thu Mar 8, 2012, 1:24pm
Subject: Re: Fiorenzato Bricoletta "back ordered" Heating Element Replacement Advice

". . .One lying around someone's shop"-- succinctly expresses my most heartfelt dream right now. Thanks for the post.

IF anyone is interested or needs it, I do now have the machine apart and could post a photo of the element. --Guy
JtothaR
JtothaR

Posted Thu Mar 8, 2012, 1:29pm

guyless Said:

". . .One lying around someone's shop"-- succinctly expresses my most heartfelt dream right now. Thanks for the post.

IF anyone is interested or needs it, I do now have the machine apart and could post a photo of the element. --Guy

If you'd like to email me one I can forward it to my guy and see if he has any ideas.

Load and Lock.
guyless

Posted Thu Mar 8, 2012, 1:40pm

That would be better than great. Will your "public" email address work?
guyless

Posted Thu Mar 8, 2012, 1:48pm

Just in case an actual photo of the element (definitely NO continuity) will inspire anyone to search drawers or make it easier. Here it is:

guyless: Bric Heat Element.jpg
(Click for larger image)
JtothaR
JtothaR

Posted Thu Mar 8, 2012, 1:57pm

guyless Said:

That would be better than great. Will your "public" email address work?

Thats the one :)

Load and Lock.
guyless

Posted Thu Mar 8, 2012, 2:17pm

Alas, the Verizon Online Postmaster (or gmail) is being uncooperative. The address in your profile does look a tad long and weird (attempted mail with it exactly as is, and then removed various words starting with "REMOVE"). g
tracerbullet
tracerbullet

Posted Thu Mar 8, 2012, 2:23pm

Any chance that it's a standardized screw thread at the top, such as 1"?

If you can't find anything, anywhere, specific to the machine then perhaps a Google search for "immersion heater" might find a replacement that is "close enough"? Checking of course for voltage, power, length, etc. as well as the thread size.
JtothaR
JtothaR

Posted Thu Mar 8, 2012, 2:49pm

guyless Said:

Alas, the Verizon Online Postmaster (or gmail) is being uncooperative. The address in your profile does look a tad long and weird (attempted mail with it exactly as is, and then removed various words starting with "REMOVE"). g

Just take out everything in caps except the first letter "s".

Load and Lock.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Fiorenzato...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Saeco Espresso Machines
Large selection in-stock, includes Free Gifts and Free Shipping!
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.284321069717)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+