Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
New Silvia Project - what would you add?
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > New Silvia...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 5 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
philipmc

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Silvia
Grinder: Rocky
Posted Mon Feb 20, 2012, 6:40am
Subject: Re: New Silvia Project - what would you add?

Tonight, I've taken a break from prototyping to do a mock up of what it could look like. I'd love some feedback (good or bad).

Design details:
- mounted on replacement custom milled aluminium panel
- all bolts are countersunk hex head for a clean look
- the 4 screws around the screen can be removed, but the cost is quite high

Full size image here: http://silviapid.notlong.com

philipmc: Silvia Mock Up.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
rsinger
rsinger
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: OE Pharos - #136!!  ;)
Posted Mon Feb 20, 2012, 6:49am

Hi Philip:

The mock-up looks good.  Do you have to worry about water spray or steam with the lcd in that location??  If possible, up on the switch panel may avoid any issues.  

BTW, I sent the email and code again, if you don't get it, send me an email with the correct address and I'll send it off again mine is on my profile).

Rick

New Bezzera Strega
OE Pharos: #136!!
Silvia's a virgin.....  again! (and sold)
Brasilia Cappuccino Del-1 Hx (sold too)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/66189160@N04/sets/72157628015297112/show/
http://espressoproject.blogspot.com/2008_10_01_archive.html
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
philipmc

Posted Mon Feb 20, 2012, 7:10am

Thanks Rick, got the code. Much appreciated.

The difficulty with the location is that the machine is stainless steel. Cutting it accurately would really need to be done professionally and would be expensive. I would prefer to have it higher up, but I can't work out a way to do that easily.

Mounting on the front removable panel makes the whole process easier. I just design it, send it to a custom aluminium panel maker and they do all the hard work with a CNC machine.

The way I use the machine, that panel only ever gets a few splashes at most. The screen should be able to handle it I think. Thinking about it, the connections are at the bottom, so I'd better work out a rubber seal to prevent moisture getting in. Maybe a nice bevel on the panel towards the screen would help water run off too.
rsinger
rsinger
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: OE Pharos - #136!!  ;)
Posted Mon Feb 20, 2012, 9:50pm

Quite welcome Philip!

One note, I know that my code compiles under Arduino 0010, but not certain it will under newer versions.  All current versions can be found here:

Previous IDE Versions

Best,

Rick

New Bezzera Strega
OE Pharos: #136!!
Silvia's a virgin.....  again! (and sold)
Brasilia Cappuccino Del-1 Hx (sold too)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/66189160@N04/sets/72157628015297112/show/
http://espressoproject.blogspot.com/2008_10_01_archive.html
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
patrickff

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Silvia v2
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Tue Feb 21, 2012, 9:19am

rsinger Said:

Do you have to worry about water spray or steam with the lcd in that location??

Posted February 20, 2012 link

Not sure about the LCD display you are using, but for example a Nokia 5110 by Philips (PDF) is rated only for a "Temperature range: -25 to +70 C.".
tracerbullet
tracerbullet

Posted Tue Feb 21, 2012, 1:33pm

I own a Gaggia Baby Class, not a Silvia, and I'm not sure how similar their basic layouts are. If this were my Gaggia, having your screen where it is would allow it to stay in place (including any wiring or plumbing leading to it) if & when the cover of the machine was removed to access other parts (boiler, solenoids, temp sensors, etc.). Putting something like this up high in the cover would mean that it need be disconnected and dealt if that cover were removed to access anything else inside (and make it harder to put things back together after the initial modification as well).

Apologies if the Silvia is built such that it's not a concern, but perhaps it's something to consider.

Neat stuff, I'll keep an eye on it to see if it's adaptable ;)
philipmc

Posted Wed Feb 22, 2012, 2:24am

I do find it interesting that most PIDs are targeted at the Silvia. Does it really outsell other machines by a huge margin to justify this, or does it just happen to be the enthusiast's machine of choice? With what I am designing, it really just replaces the stock brew thermostat at the moment. My final wiring is TBC, but will probably go through the steam thermostat for auto cutout in the event of something unexpected. I'd imagine this would be easily adaptable to most simple machines. If you understand basic circuit layouts and can confidently wire a plug you should be fine.

I can't find the datasheet for the display as it's sold as a module. I suspect it's a futuremark display and rated at a similar limit of +70C. Even if you splashed the front layer with 100C water, I think you'd need to have a continuous stream for the layer to heat up enough to make the TFT behind reach 70C. Just my thought, I guess I'll find out!

No more pretty pictures for now as I'm back to programming again, sorry. I've written a structure for the configurable variables (PID settings, target temp, display mode for now) and the handler to write this to and from the EEPROM on the processor. So it now remembers all the settings after it's been switched off or reset. I've also updated the PID screen to show the PID terms as well as the values (so you can see which term is contributing positively or negatively to the output). Next up is a menu screen to be able to set them using the remote.
kernelhmm

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID siliva
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Roaster: Gene3D
Posted Thu Feb 23, 2012, 7:00pm

If your target is to make a good esp but not a fancy machine.  I suggest the following modifications:

1). PID control for boiler temperature  (of course)
2). Add PTC heating elements to grouphead (acutally you can put them upon the grouphead), a
temperature sensor on grouphead and then another PID control for the grouphead temperature.

with the grouphead self-heating and PID control , you Silvia will be equal to those commercial machine
(e.g E61).  And just simply to set the same boiler water temp and grouphead temp as the " brewing temp "
you want (You know what I mean if you aleady done the PID modification, thus guy set a higher boiler water
temperature (around 7C degree  higher than the expecting) to "heat" the grouphead during the brewing.)

3). a timer (better a self-control time switch) to control the brew time.

That's all we need.  Forgot about the steam temp control. I never use the Silvia for steam since we only have
a single boiler right? So it requires a long time waiting between the steam/brew function switch. Longer than
the right time to make a good cappuccino.  Just pay a few bucks(less than 80) to get a low-end esp home
machine for steam only use would be better.
patrickff

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Silvia v2
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Fri Feb 24, 2012, 11:05am

Another crazy idea:
Since the setup already has an SD card, what about a menu option to load (and maybe store) different temperatures?
For example "Intelligentsia - Black Cat = 200".

@kernelhmm:
First, Welcome to Coffeegeek!
(Naive question) What would be the advantage of PTC heating, since the Silvia already channels hot water through its E61 brew group?
kernelhmm

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID siliva
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Roaster: Gene3D
Posted Fri Feb 24, 2012, 9:32pm

Another crazy idea:
Since the setup already has an SD card, what about a menu option to load (and maybe store) different temperatures?
For example "Intelligentsia - Black Cat = 200".

@kernelhmm:
First, Welcome to Coffeegeek!
(Naive question) What would be the advantage of PTC heating, since the Silvia already channels hot water through its E61 brew gro

The Silvia brew group is not E61. E61 group have an internal water cycle with boiler and thus the group temp is very similar to the boiler temp.
Without this water heating cycle, the silvia grouphead, although it and the boiler bottom are in a single brass unit, may be typical 10-20C lower than the boiler/water temp. Thus when brewing, you need a higher temp water go through it to reach the expecting temp.  That's why
those PID kit set default temp at 102C , to reach the 92~95C brewing water temp.
showing page 5 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > New Silvia...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.256916999817)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+