Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Wega EVD restoration
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Wega EVD...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
l8nightCaffeine
l8nightCaffeine
Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Feb 22, 2012, 11:52am
Subject: Re: Wega EVD restoration

Here is where I decided to stop de-scaling my heating element, unfortunately I did not take a before picture for the heating element, but one can make an educated guess from the condition of the boiler :P

There is still a very small amount of scale at the end, but decided it was not worth it.

l8nightCaffeine: DSCN5831.JPG
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
l8nightCaffeine
l8nightCaffeine

Posted Wed Feb 22, 2012, 11:55am

This is the "shiny" change in appearance I was talking about earlier, I am guessing it was some kind of plating from other parts of heating element, or the brass fitting on the end cap I was descaling in the same bucket. I had thought that the copper plated the brass, not the other way around, but it kind of looks like brass. Either way i am not terrible concerned about it...its clean and does not appear to be damaged.

l8nightCaffeine: DSCN5836.JPG
(Click for larger image)
l8nightCaffeine
l8nightCaffeine

Posted Wed Feb 22, 2012, 12:03pm

This is where I chose to stop de-scaling the boiler:

There is a small amount of scale left in one location, I worked at it for a bit with a wire brush without much progress. It is such a small amount i am not real worried about this either.

As you can see I am putting off doing battle with the rest of the gasket, any suggestions for this?

l8nightCaffeine: DSCN5846.JPG
(Click for larger image)
l8nightCaffeine
l8nightCaffeine

Posted Wed Feb 22, 2012, 12:04pm

and the outside

l8nightCaffeine: DSCN5844.JPG
(Click for larger image)
l8nightCaffeine
l8nightCaffeine

Posted Wed Feb 22, 2012, 12:12pm

To the frame:

For this I first used some metal etching acid (left over from when my dad chemically cleaned our garage floor).
I used this to take off most of the green tint treatment that was originally on it, that had begun to show its age (As there was rust despite its presence). this also took care of some of the rust.

once I was finished with this i sanded everything, some with a power sander, and the hard to reach areas by hand.

(sorry no pictures of this, not that it was much to look at)

once I was down to bare metal and any lose rust had been cleaned off, i used "rust reformer" from autozone, i simply painted this on the areas that seemed to need it.

here is a picture of the rust half painted.

l8nightCaffeine: DSCN5807.JPG
(Click for larger image)
l8nightCaffeine
l8nightCaffeine

Posted Wed Feb 22, 2012, 12:13pm

and all of the different pieces treated with this rust reformer

l8nightCaffeine: DSCN5808.JPG
(Click for larger image)
l8nightCaffeine
l8nightCaffeine

Posted Wed Feb 22, 2012, 12:19pm

While the rust reformer dried, I decided to test the paint i had picked out on a piece that was clean of any rust.

I decided to use the same paint I used to paint my engine. So that it could withstand the heat of the boiler, and last for years to come.
It is "engine enamel" made by RustOleum , also bought at Autozone.

Here is what it looks like (matte black):

NOTE: If you have the money to powder-coat it. DO IT! This was a pain, and was the limiting factor for most of the Restoration. It is also the part that I am most worried about. (rust bubbling through that wasn't completely "reformed" or sealed in by the paint.

l8nightCaffeine: DSCN5811.JPG
(Click for larger image)
l8nightCaffeine
l8nightCaffeine

Posted Wed Feb 22, 2012, 12:22pm

Here is most of the plumbing after being descaled, there are still a few pieces soaking that needed a little extra care.

Sorry this was a little out of order, should have gone before the heating element.

l8nightCaffeine: DSCN3706.JPG
(Click for larger image)
l8nightCaffeine
l8nightCaffeine

Posted Wed Feb 22, 2012, 12:34pm

I ran out of citric acid and have ordered some more (along with gaskets and replacement parts).
So I am currently waiting on that to finish cleaning up the group heads/valves/various plumbing

2 coats have been put on each side of all parts of the frame, all that is left is to examine them and look for any locations with poor coverage and touch that up.

TO DO:

1) finish cleaning valves, replace gaskets
2) finish cleaning flow meters
3) finish cleaning various plumbing fixtures (manual fill / one way valves), replace gaskets
4) finish cleaning external stainless steel shields.

5) finish painting

6) finish cleaning up wires, replace plastic shield
7) start re-assembly
8) test

It may be a bit till there is any more progress, I have 2 projects due next week, and 4 mid-term exams. I am hoping to have this project finished by the end of spring break (Mar 12th)
l8nightCaffeine
l8nightCaffeine

Posted Wed Feb 22, 2012, 12:54pm

I meant to mention:

Once I realized there was no pump. I emailed the guy I had bought it from asking if he had it laying around some where. (As we had agreed on the price under the assumption i was receiving a working when pulled espresso machine).

He looked around and didn't find it. He went the extra mile and called the guy that had switched out this older machine for a new one. The guy had simply taken the pump with him, and agreed to bring it back.

I have not seen the pump yet, but am confident that it will be in working order, however I am not sure what definition of "pump" were going by, the motor + pump, or just pump. My dad was already making a trip to Chicago and is picking it up for me tomorrow and will be back this weekend, so we will find out...
showing page 2 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Wega EVD...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.293206930161)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+