Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Stripped bolt in Starbucks Barista/Saeco Via Venezia
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Stripped bolt in...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
SSteve

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Starbucks Barista
Grinder: Capresso Infinity
Posted Tue Jan 24, 2012, 1:37pm
Subject: Stripped bolt in Starbucks Barista/Saeco Via Venezia

I have a Starbucks Barista that I've used just about every single day for about ten years. A couple times the o-ring that creates the seal between the water feed and the boiler has started leaking. I've managed to successfully replace it each time. (Once I started using silicon instead of rubber o-rings the repairs started lasting a lot longer.) This time, unfortunately, I managed to strip either the bolt or the threads on the boiler--I'm not sure which until I do some more disassembly. I've searched online and have found a few places that sell parts for the machine, but none offer either of the parts I will need to replace. Does someone know of a place that has a more extensive selection of parts?

The bolt I'm talking about is part number 36 on the second illustration of this parts diagram.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Vivaldi

Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Spaziale Vivaldi II
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Tue Jan 24, 2012, 5:44pm
Subject: Re: Stripped bolt in Starbucks Barista/Saeco Via Venezia

If you don't find your parts you might get a couple of metric taps and straighten out the threads on both pieces.  Then use some Teflon tape and tighten it carefully.
 View Profile Link to this post
stefano65
stefano65
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme,Elektra,
Grinder: Vario,Macap,
Vac Pot: not
Drip: not
Roaster: not
Posted Wed Jan 25, 2012, 11:31am

if you are still looking for one email me

Stefano Cremonesi
info@espressocare.com
www.espressocare.com
SSteve

Posted Wed Jan 25, 2012, 12:11pm

Thanks. I probably won't be able to take it apart until this weekend. I'll report back with my results.
SSteve

Posted Mon Jan 30, 2012, 6:48pm

I ordered a couple things from Stefano's Espresso Care website and he very generously threw in a replacement bolt. My Barista is now back up and brewing. Thanks, Stefano!
noroomplease

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Sat Aug 25, 2012, 10:45am

My Barista is leaking from the top of the boiler head, at the left rear nut (one of two nuts holding the heating element in place).  I am hesitant to dig further into the boiler head without advice from this group.  I removed that nut and found a lock washer and a metal plate (heat spreader?) underneath, but no visible O-ring or seal.  My guess is the seal is on the underside, where the pressure is applied.

You mention using "silicone" instead of rubber O-rings as a more durable repair option.  Do you mean on the underside (inside) of the heating element joint?  It's tempting to run a bead of silicone sealant around the nut and retighten it, rather than dig further into disassembly.  What is the most advisable next step from here?
SSteve

Posted Sat Aug 25, 2012, 4:29pm

noroomplease Said:

You mention using "silicone" instead of rubber O-rings as a more durable repair option.  Do you mean on the underside (inside) of the heating element joint?  It's tempting to run a bead of silicone sealant around the nut and retighten it, rather than dig further into disassembly.  What is the most advisable next step from here?

Posted August 25, 2012 link

No, the O-ring I'm talking about is on the side of the boiler. It's part number 33 on the second page of the parts diagram I linked to in my first message.
noroomplease

Posted Sat Aug 25, 2012, 9:39pm

Ok, I have the boiler completely disassembled now.  It was leaking around the nut labeled item 26 on page 2 of this diagram .  But there is no replacable seal there.  I could add an O-ring, or just put it back together and try tightening that nut, but it was pretty snug to start with.

Should that fitting have pressure on it from the underside?  It’s the heating element, so I would think so.  Item 46, the “filter holder gasket” has some gummy crud (coffee or melted rubber?) on the top, on the joint with item 40, “boiler, lower body.”   I suppose I will clean it up and put it back together, looking closely for leaks now that I have “the lay of the land.”

Is it obvious to anyone what parts I need yet, if the leak is at item 26?  Still tempted to put a bead of silicone sealer around the bottom of that joint, but I doubt the silicone would like the heat source, and may not be food-safe.  Anyone?

Also, the wand leaked just a tad, before this big leak started, so I should fix that while I'm in here.
D4F

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Sun Aug 26, 2012, 1:00pm

I do not have a machine to look at, but I think the nut 26 is for the element 37, and I believe that O-ring 51 goes on the element from the inside and seals off the element and nut 26.  If that is correct, then the O-ring(s) is on the element or stuck to the boiler top.  Silicone on the outside under the nut may not hurt, but should not be needed. If silicone is needed there, then the O-ring must be leaking and I doubt that silicone will hold for long in that case.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
noroomplease

Posted Sun Sep 9, 2012, 10:10am

Happy ending: It turned out to be a cracked electrode on the heating element.  I replaced the boiler O-ring (d2-38), the heating element (d2-37), the heating element O-rings (2 x d-51), and the filter holder gasket (d-46).  I also adjusted the steam valve stop (as documented elsewhere on this forum), descaled the boiler with lemon juice while I had it disassembled, and cleaned off the crud that had melted onto the lower surface of the boiler, apparently from deterioration of the filter holder gasket (d-46).

When reassembling, be cautious of two details: 1. the steam wand micro switch (d2-18) has three connections on it: normally open, normally closed and common.  Note the two that are used (normally open and common) and be sure to reconnect to the same terminals.  Otherwise the pump motor will run when the steam valve is closed.  It should run when the valve is opened. 2. Be sure the boiler O-ring (d2-38) is well seated as you tighten the four bolts holding the upper and lower boiler halves together.  Mine blew out after reassembly, so I replaced the O-ring and coated it with a small amount of olive oil.  

The machine is working perfectly now.  You don’t really appreciate good espresso until you have to do without it for a few weeks.  Could be my imagination, but I seem to be getting thicker creama with each cup now!! Stephano's rocks!
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Stripped bolt in...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.233813047409)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+