Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Conti Club 1 group portafilter
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Conti Club 1...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
grimaldo

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Jan 4, 2012, 5:30pm
Subject: Conti Club 1 group portafilter

Hi, I just picked up a Conti single group Club model for a song and it doesn't have a portafilter. I'm just wondering if anyone knows it the portafilters from any other machines will work in this unit. I don't actually have the machine yet (my friend picked it up for me) so I can't try the Pavoni Pub portafilter I have, but I also have access to a couple others like one from a Nuova Simonelli Club V and a couple others. Just hoping someone here knows something to help make my search for a cheap compatible portafilter easier.

TIA,
grim
 View Profile Link to this post
SpromoSapiens
SpromoSapiens
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Riviera Eagle, '91 Livietta,...
Grinder: Vario, KA ProLine, Sozen...
Drip: Clever, V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Jan 18, 2012, 10:42pm
Subject: Re: Conti Club 1 group portafilter

Have you gotten a feel for your machine yet?
I'm sorry I don't have a PF for you, and I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I'm about to pick up one of these myself -- also for a song -- and am wondering what your experience has been. I'm a barista for a living, but this will be my first HX machine at home. There's very little written about the Club online, and all that I've seen has been mixed. Be that as it may, I found one for a price that simply can't be refused, so what the hay.
How's your working out?
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Jan 19, 2012, 6:59am

nevermind.

I would guess that most 58mm PFs will fit but the handle may be in the wrong place when it is tight. Though I am not sure that it is a 58mm PF, but if it is, then apply the above.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
grimaldo

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Jan 19, 2012, 11:12am

Hi, congrats on the find! I hope yours is in better shape than mine. I have serious scale issues throughout the systems, most significantly the frozen pump. I'll let you know it goes as I have time to tear it apart. Judging from the layer of crud on the group screen (thicker than the screen itself), the bypassed power switch (Ahh, the miracle of wire nuts..),  and the corrosion that appears to have been leaking from the seams of the flowmeter, I think I'll need to completely tear this one down because it has rarely if ever been cleaned properly..Oh, well, at least it was cheap. Maybe we should share a thread about rejuvenating our machines.

I've heard mixed things about this machine also. It looks beefier than my Pavoni Pub, larger boiler, heavier overall. We'll see about performance once it's making shots. The Pavoni makes a great shot but requires lots of temperature surfing to get close to the brew temp I am looking for, so I'm hoping to find more stability in this beefier machine. We'll see...

Regarding the portafilters, neither the Pavoni Pub not the Silvia portafilter fit this machine (and they don't fit each other). The Conti portafilter appears to have different "ears" , longer and placed differently.
SpromoSapiens
SpromoSapiens

Posted Thu Jan 19, 2012, 11:53am

Hm. I'm a little concerned about the water dancing with this machine, frankly. Most of what I've read indicates that there's a lot of flushing needed to keep the temp down. Apparently they're known for overheating, which I tend to think is because of the huge boiler, not in spite of it, i.e. the boiler may actually work against stability, not in favor of it. Be that as it may, it's a lot of machine for not a lot of money, and I have to assume it packs a lot of steam power, which is what makes it a popular in a commercial environment. Home users are more concerned with nuances like temp and maintenance, though, and I am ultimately a home user... But what the hay, like I said, I couldn't pass on the price.  

Quite sorry to hear about that scale-clogged nightmare. Hopefully everything's still there underneath, once you get the grit off. The one I'm snagging is coming from a creperie in the financial district of Manhattan, which for some reason makes me feel better about the machine's genealogy. (A French machine from a French restaurant --- makes sense!). I don't know if it's been run into the ground with constant use and maintenance neglect, or if it's been well cared for; guess we'll see. It looks good in the pictures of course, and was described as a "workhorse" in "fully working condition" in the original ad. (It was also described as "Italian made," which runs counter to what I know about the Monte Carlo-based company...) However in subsequent emails the info was updated (and price slashed) because as they were "dismantling" it (un-plumbing? cleaning/inspecting? It remains unclear) the lights all started flashing at once, which made them think that something went awry with the control board, which may or may not be a major problem, but they didn't care to find out. No one has done any troubleshooting or even plugged it in since then, and so I tell myself it's possible that something in the "dismantling" process triggered a sensor somewhere and that once it's securely set up again, there may actually be no problem. Or, it could just need a minor adjustment, as flashing lights to me sounds like a potentially common way for a machine to tell you there's something wrong -- something solvable with a glance at an instruction manual. But even if I have to lay out a couple hundred more for a part of two, I'd still come out ahead.

Let's start a new thread about the Conti Club 1-group. The web could use one.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Fri Jan 20, 2012, 8:13am

SpromoSapiens Said:

Hm. I'm a little concerned about the water dancing with this machine, frankly. Most of what I've read indicates that there's a lot of flushing needed to keep the temp down. Apparently they're known for overheating, which I tend to think is because of the huge boiler, not in spite of it, i.e. the boiler may actually work against stability, not in favor of it. Be that as it may, it's a lot of machine for not a lot of money, and I have to assume it packs a lot of steam power, which is what makes it a popular in a commercial environment. Home users are more concerned with nuances like temp and maintenance, though, and I am ultimately a home user... But what the hay, like I said, I couldn't pass on the price.  

Posted January 19, 2012 link

The HX flush is not a big deal and a large boiler ADDS to the stability of the machine. Due to the HX tube running through the boiler, it is the water in the HX tube that over heats, once that is flushed from the tube, all is well with the world again.

If you are finding that you need to flush more water than you would like, just drop the pressure a little. You should be just fine running that machine at 1.1 bar rater than `1.5 that is a bit on the warmer side of things. You will not miss the additional steam pressure either when working on your home coffee bar, there will be plenty to steam your milk with while at the same time, taming the machine for home use a bit.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

SpromoSapiens
SpromoSapiens

Posted Fri Jan 20, 2012, 6:34pm

Thanks for the tip, calblacksmith, as well as the info. I guess I was just theorizing that there would be a longer portion of HX running through the x-large boiler, therefore a longer-than-usual flush might wind up necessary. I've also read that heat from the jumbo boiler causes excessive heat in the group; I had to assume the sheer size of the boiler might have something to do with these issues. I'll be sure to try the pressure solution if any of these issues do crop up.

I started a new general thread devoted to our dealings with the Conti Club 1-group... Let's continue this discussion there, no?

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machinemods/561863

Thanks!
mhamm

Expertise: Pro Barista

Posted Mon Jun 4, 2012, 2:48pm

Please help me figure out why my conticlub one group machine keeps demanding water when it is full thus causing the boiler safety valve to overflow? I tried turning it on and leaving the steam wand open a bit to relieve the pressure but after about 15 minutes of being powered on it clicks and demands water over andover again. I have had this machine for about 3 years (got it brand new) and it has never been serviced (nobody here in Hawaii). Is there anything I can do? I have the back flush detergent and the dummy portafilter; should I do that? Can I do that without the machine being fully heated? Forgive my ignorance and neglect on my machine; my x husband ran this cart and apparently did no maintenace to it. Please help me!
Thanks,
Mhamm
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Tue Jun 5, 2012, 6:03am

It sounds like there may be a couple of things going on here. These machines (any machine in regular use) needs to be descaled about every 6 months to a year depending on the water you feed it. This is not detergent in the blank PF (which you should do fairly often depending on your use but I would say in commercial use, once a day would not be too much) but the addition of a chemical into the boiler to remove the water scale inside the boiler, this is the same stuff that builds up on your shower head at home.

If your machine is over heating, it may be the pressure stat, this device is what controls the temp of the machine and is my guess as to what the problem is when you say it is blowing the safety valve. What does the temp gauge show, it normally should be around 1.1 to 1.3 bar, if it continues to climb and go into the red or off the scale, the heater is not turning off and that points to the pressure stat.

A build up of scale on the water level sensor probe could cause the machine to over fill too, this is also directly connected to descaling the machine.

Hawaii is large enough that there should be someone who works on espresso machines, check with coffee shops to see who services their equipment, I can tell you that the do have someone to service the machines.

By leaving the steam wand on, you are using up water from the boiler and the normal reaction of the machine is to add water into the boiler to maintain a safe and normal water level. I really think the issue is a bad Pstat and you are adding in more problems than you are solving by opening the steam wand while masking the true problem.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.

view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Conti Club 1...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.262135982513)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+