Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
DeLonghi Magnifica repair
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > DeLonghi...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
steve_R

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Oct 31, 2011, 10:48pm
Subject: DeLonghi Magnifica repair

I'm new to Coffeegeek and have a DeLonghi Magnifica coffee maker that I use at home. It's about 3 years old.

I'm not getting water pumped to flush the unit or to make espresso. The pump starts but the water doesn't make it to the spout. How do I find some literature to troubleshoot, like a schematic or an operation sequence document?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
 View Profile Link to this post
jlhsupport

Expertise: Professional

Posted Tue Nov 1, 2011, 8:53am
Subject: Re: DeLonghi Magnifica repair

I have not really seen exploded parts diagrams for these units, but I have taken the backsides off a few of them and solved some problems along the way by pulling hoses and activating the pump to see which part is blocked. Sometimes it was just an air block that kept the pump from priming; other times it was something else. If you can't find any blockages, your boiler may be scaled up, in which case you'd probably have to replace it.

If you are planning to do this as well, you will probably have to have the machine turned on to diagnose where the water stops flowing, so you will need to be very careful to avoid electrocuting yourself because of the electrical connections inside. Even when acting carefully and deliberately, there is still the chance for water to splash onto an electrical connection, so proceed at your own risk.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
steve_R

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Nov 3, 2011, 10:33am

Thanks for your reply.

I removed the panels, verified there is no water restrictions through the filter and flowmeter. I started the unit and had 120 volts at the pump. I pulled a discharge hose and did not have any water flow. I heard the pump vibrating.

I hear you on the boiler restriction. Next I'll blow through the boiler to check for restrictions.

I found the water pump manufacturer and will inquire about the cost and availability of a new pump in case that's what I think the problem is.
aleks

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: delonghi magnifica
Posted Sat Mar 15, 2014, 2:52pm

Sorry for bringing up this old thread.

I have delonghi magnifica for approx 4 years now.

I had pump replaced once already but I'm seeing the same symptoms as before: sometimes the pump makes low noise as if it is pumping through clogged hose. But after powercycle it usually works fine, then at some point it would again repeat the problem, sometimes even at startup flush.

Last time I had the problem I measured voltage on the valve and if I'm not mistaken, when this issue happens, the valve actually does not open - does not get the voltage. I don't have scheme for the machine, but if I understood correctly the valve is supposed to open after the pump builds some pressure.

I believe, possibly completeluly wrong, that the issue is actually in the electronics and this intermittent glitch.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to further diagnose this?

Electrical schematics would be great.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > DeLonghi...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.187095880508)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+