Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
full Silvia rebuild and minor mod with pics.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > full Silvia...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 12 of 14 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Nov 28, 2011, 8:11am
Subject: Re: calling all Sylvia experts and techs.

One thing I just saw about my modded OPV system is that the stock OPV is no longer providing protection of overpressure on the boiler. I need to add a safety pressure valve now, likely to where the fitting is to allow connection of a pressure valve, by adding a T fitting from the modded stock OPV fitting so that one side of the T has the safety valve and the other will allow connection of the pressure gauge.

$40 a year for an espresso machine is really ringing out the value from her!

My main machine is a E61 HX and it is very hard for me to like Silvia, perhaps a PID system will help but the stock thermostats are too hot. Yes I did connect them properly as the steam switch works properly but the stock brew thermostat forces me to do a cooling flush as the brew water flashes to steam, like a HX machine, if I temp surf to the high end of the brew cycle.

The full rebuild of Silvia is not hard, a few hand tools and a little time (if you are handy with your hands) is all it takes to get a "new" machine from your older one.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Mon Nov 28, 2011, 8:54am

calblacksmith Said:

$40 a year for an espresso machine is really ringing out the value from her!

Posted November 28, 2011 link

I love it! My Rancilio Miss Silvia I bought May 2001 for $395.00 & that's 10 years!! {:-D

A little OT, but Wayne., have you looked at the burrs on that BUNN G9 yet? Thought you'd email me so I could share that super price on an OEM BUNN burr set with you.

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Mon Nov 28, 2011, 12:13pm

Craig, I guess it didn't get to you. I sent you a multi purpose email just before Thanksgiving, in which I addressed the burrs.
Short answer is that of all the grinders I have taken apart and cleaned, this one shocked me. It looked virtually brand new inside! I would say only a dozen or so stray beans and no coffee dust anyplace! Shiny, freshly machined alum. surfaces were everywhere. No coffee tar buildup anyplace and the burrs looked brand new with only a little old coffee to clean off them, no tar, goo or anything! The machining was still crisp and though they were not like razors, they are in what I would imagine to be NEW condition.

Not bad, when you remember in that same deal (seller) I also bought a Curtis plumb in air pot brewer with hot water tap and two 2 l airpots with 2 drip funnels. All for the price of $125!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

CraigA
CraigA

Posted Mon Nov 28, 2011, 2:07pm

calblacksmith Said:

Craig, I guess it didn't get to you. I sent you a multi purpose email just before Thanksgiving, in which I addressed the burrs.

Posted November 28, 2011 link

No I don't remember seeing it Wayne.. Did you send to my profile Coffeegeek address or scandrews on the posts on the forums please?

Short answer is that of all the grinders I have taken apart and cleaned, this one shocked me. It looked virtually brand new inside! I would say only a dozen or so stray beans and no coffee dust anyplace! Shiny, freshly machined alum. surfaces were everywhere. No coffee tar buildup anyplace and the burrs looked brand new with only a little old coffee to clean off them, no tar, goo or anything! The machining was still crisp and though they were not like razors, they are in what I would imagine to be NEW condition.

EXCELLENT Wayne & on the the rest of your equipment in that score too!!

Not bad, when you remember in that same deal (seller) I also bought a Curtis plumb in air pot brewer with hot water tap and two 2 l airpots with 2 drip funnels. All for the price of $125!

Not bad??, that's a bloody steal!! YEEHAAW {;-D

With the Curtis, you can see the build date clearly. On th BUNN G9, I can't make out a month/week/year code there. Wait, I just re looked & saw 83L7., so I guess that's 1983 then?  Did you figure out the age of it Wayne?

The Bunn burrs are different though, they can 'look' shiny new but still be shot. Your burrs would be 28 years old. If you take them out again, there should be a date code on the bottom of the burrs., like this pic below. I bought those OEM burrs 10/10 or Oct 2010.

CraigA: phpkZXWeFPM.jpg
(Click for larger image)

View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Tue Nov 29, 2011, 7:54am

Yes, they are shot. I started a thread in grinders on the Bunn. The burrs are from 5/95 so I am going to "need some help!"

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.

CraigA
CraigA

Posted Tue Nov 29, 2011, 8:49am
Subject: Re: full Silvia rebuild and minor mod with pics.

Thanks for all those pics on you BUNN G9 Wayne!, I've always wanted to see the inside of the G9's vertical burr discharge setup as compared to the horizontal discharge setup/pathway of my BUNN FPG-2 DBC.

I have to go out to the pharmacy shortly, but will get back to you today when I'm finished. It may take a while as I have to take the bus & it's quite rainy & cold here today.. {:-/

CraigA
CraigA

Posted Tue Nov 29, 2011, 1:12pm

Hi Wayne,

Could you re-forward that email you said you send me just before your Thanksgiving Day, & when you do., I'll then respond back to you with the info to purchase the BUNN OEM burrs at the "special" price (which I haven't disclosed yet).
I've been looking for you on the Facebook chat, but you're not around., so on that email will you please include your phone number (I'll include my full contact info) so I can say "Hi" to you please? {;-)

Just curious, & you didn't answer my question., so I'm asking again.., what email address did you send to please?
It's VERY rare that I miss even an email marked as Spam & delete it because I look at each & every one to be sure that I don't, & I get tons of spam/crap..

Thanks!

calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Tue Nov 29, 2011, 3:52pm

Craig, email sent to website public address which includes "remove this"

Same as last time.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.

CraigA
CraigA

Posted Tue Nov 29, 2011, 4:17pm

Thanks Wayne, got it., but you have to remeove the "deletethis" or "removethis" part on the email addy as that acts as a spam trap.

That usually ends up with a kick back/returned back to you as an undeliverable email. I just checked your email to me & you did take out (not include) the above words.

chasemonster
chasemonster
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Audrey
Grinder: Hario Mini Mill
Drip: V60
Posted Wed Dec 28, 2011, 8:55pm

Well, just for fun, I decided to pull my Rancilio Silvia out of storage today, and cut a hole in the front so I could install a pressure gauge.
This is an old 2000 Silvia that I found on Craigslist 6 or 8 months ago and just never have gotten around to taking it apart.
I found a video on youtube showing how to "make a circle" using a Dremel tool, but ended up wasting a lot of time trying to cut the hole with the #409 cut-off wheels.
Then, I read about the reinforced #426's (which come in a pack of 5) and that was the answer.
I cut the entire hole with one disc.
It's very primitive looking, but the gauge covers up all of the imperfections.

chasemonster: RS1 (800x234).jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
showing page 12 of 14 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > full Silvia...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.304207086563)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+