Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Rotary Conversion...
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Rotary...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
wcmocha
wcmocha
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Nemox Lux
Drip: Keurig
Posted Fri May 20, 2011, 8:56pm
Subject: Rotary Conversion...

I just pulled three shots with the new rotary pump.  The result on the third shot was right up there with the best I've ever pulled and I haven't even finished dialing everything in yet...

Pros:
With my portafilter pressure gauge, there is no more fluttering.  (smoother pressure)
No more rattling noises while pumping and my espresso cups don't move around on the warmer when pulling a shot.
My favorite; I am pulling a blank shot and purging my steam wand without even turning the pump on.  I wired the solenoid valve to the pump switch and use street water pressure with absolutely no sound, It's almost too quiet.

Cons:
I lost a little cabinet space under the counter.
It cost a bit to put together.
That's it so far...

I'm so glad I did this.  Here's a pic of the rough install.  I'm waiting until I finish designing and installing the electronic timer / pump relay to clean everything up.  When done, it will have a user set pre-infusion period and automatic shot timer.

wcmocha: firstrotary.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
wcmocha
wcmocha

Posted Sat May 21, 2011, 10:48pm
Subject: Re: Rotary Conversion...

So I just finished the timer controller addition and it works great.  No longer do I use a kitchen timer.  Here's how it works.

1-warm up the machine like normal until the PID controller reaches its set point.
2-flip the factory brew switch to ON which...
3-opens a solenoid valve introducing street water pressure for pre-infusion and powers up the timer which instantly counts down from a user-set number.
4-after the desired pre-infusion duration is reached, I flip the red switch under the counter that energizes a relay activating the rotary pump.
5-the counter reaches zero and de-energizes the relay automatically turning off the pump.
6-enjoy great espresso...

The reason for the manual switch is to experiment with pre-infusion duration and to select weather or not flipping the brew switch on the machine activates street pressure or pump pressure.  This is because I find myself cleaning the shower screen and priming the boiler even running hot water out the steam wand with just street pressure.  Here's a pic of the setup...

wcmocha: timer.jpg
(Click for larger image)
wcmocha
wcmocha

Posted Sat May 21, 2011, 10:52pm

And here's a better close-up since I can only post little pics.  It looks really cool with all the lights blinking and numbers changing btw since I have it set to display down to 1/100th second.  I plan to shoot some video of my entire espresso process and posting it to the web so people can see.  I'll post a link here when it's done.

wcmocha: TimerCU.jpg
(Click for larger image)
chasemonster
chasemonster

Espresso: Rancilio Audrey
Grinder: Hario Mini Mill
Drip: V60
Posted Wed May 25, 2011, 1:56pm

How much would you charge to turn my spare bedroom into an espresso machine?
wcmocha
wcmocha

Posted Wed May 25, 2011, 9:30pm

That could be an interesting project...
DVL
DVL
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Tea, Wega Mininova, La...
Grinder: anfim, and a Rocky
Vac Pot: Press pot Bodums--and a Cory...
Drip: Starbucks Aroma...I...
Roaster: alpenrost...till it caught...
Posted Thu Jun 2, 2011, 10:27pm

Are you making espresso or attempting cold fusion?  

Sweet setup--your wife/partner must love you!
wcmocha
wcmocha

Posted Fri Jun 3, 2011, 4:22pm

Thanks.  I really have been going crazy with the elaborate setup.  Maybe cold fusion will be the next project...  

My wife was a little upset when I started spending time building this, but it's all better whenever I make her a drink on it...
ggcadc
ggcadc
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: QM Alexia
Grinder: Mazzer mini E, Virtuoso,...
Vac Pot: Yama 3 cup
Drip: All of them
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Jun 7, 2011, 10:57am

thats a lot crazier than I thought it would be. were there problems running the pump inside the machine?

I really dont think I could EVER get away with that, i'd be better off asking forgiveness for buying a multi-thousand dollar machine.

it does look quite impressive though, is the OPV running into the drip trap??
wcmocha
wcmocha

Posted Tue Jun 7, 2011, 10:04pm

Honestly, it really isn't that hard to convert to a rotary pump.  (relatively speaking of course) I just went over board with the controls and other mods thanks to a "while I have it apart" mentality.  I came up with a way to salvage the 90 degree elbow off the top of the vibe pump and convert it to a standard 1/4" flare fitting to then run under the counter.  In fact the best thing I ever did was to scrap the compression fittings and go to flare connections.  I have access to all the pieces at work and my Dad has donated what I need for the cause.

I did in fact just solve a problem tonight.  I was getting a lot of channeling every time I pulled a shot.  It turns out the pressure of the rotary pump was kicking in instantly and damaging the puck of coffee.  I built an addition at work that solved the problem.  It starts with a coil of 1/4 inch copper that I teed in just after the solenoid valve.  It then turns into a length of 1/2 inch pex tubing (a plastic tubing used for radiant floors I have a special tool for that holds a lot of pressure).  The idea is that when pressure is created from the pump, it slowly builds pressure by filling the copper tube and compressing air in the pex tube.  Then when the pressure is released, it forces the water back out of the copper tube with the help of gravity so the air bubble at the top will always remain.  I'll take some pictures here as soon as it's finished.

Now there is no more channeling and the shots look and taste much better.  So to sum it up I'll change my mind and say it is difficult to add a rotary.  I guess I'm just used to doing crazy complex things so it seems easy.  The next step is a check valve as I discovered a problem while steaming.  It forced all of the water back down into the coil and filled the line all the way under the bar with steam and got really hot.  I'll be installing it right at the machine to solve this.

As for the OPV valve, I set it high as a safety and the pump re-circulates to stay at 9 bar.  The hose from it runs down into the drip tray just in case it ever needs to be released.  As for difficulty plumbing it inside the machine, the threads on the 90 degree fitting didn't seem to be pipe thread so I had to solder it.  That was hard because it was a different material than the fitting I soldered it to.  

It is a bit difficult getting away with it as far as my wife is concerned.  Especially since she can't enjoy the result with me since she has a heart condition.  But with a baby in the house and us often sleep deprived, I can get my coffee and keep things a lot quieter without the vibe pump.
wcmocha
wcmocha

Posted Thu Jun 9, 2011, 6:33pm

Update.  I added a 3/8 inch check valve just before the machine and there is no longer steam traveling down the water line.  I'm also finding the coils I added make a great low pressure pre-infusion regulator.  I charge them with street pressure by opening the solenoid, then decrease the pressure to the desired level by opening the steam wand prior to pulling the shot.  Since I've been using the low pressure pre-infusion, I haven't pulled a single shot I haven't enjoyed drinking.  It's upped the consistency for sure.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Rotary...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.267038106918)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+