Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Adding LEDs to my Isomac - Electrical help?
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Adding LEDs to...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
SwingT

Expertise: I like coffee
Posted Sat Sep 19, 2009, 6:37pm
Subject: Re: Adding LEDs to my Isomac - Electrical help?

updating this thread.

I ordered some LED's with adhesive backing prior to seeing the posts about temp rating for the wires.

I've been able to route my wiring where it doesn't come into contact with hi temps and seems to be working fine. At this point, I'm considering wiring a switch for the LED's but haven't fully finalized the installation. I live in a Metro area of about 300K. No way you can find hi temperature wiring that size, and if someone had it that size, probably couldn't buy it by the foot.

Also, did have a problem with the adhesive foam backing on the LED's  not sticking well, and the individual units would fall down every other day or so.

I appear to have solved that problem by using 3M weatherstripping adhesive from my neighborhood auto parts store.

Bottom line - While I am going to be happy with mine in the end - it's really been too much hassle compared to Dana's installation with the IKEA units.

and if Dana's adhesive on the IKEA units are still holding well, I _know_ that the path to follow.

Dana, wondered if you have an update on how your install is doing?
 View Profile Link to this post
dana_leighton
dana_leighton
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Sat Sep 19, 2009, 11:49pm

SwingT Said:

Bottom line - While I am going to be happy with mine in the end - it's really been too much hassle compared to Dana's installation with the IKEA units.

Posted September 19, 2009 link

Ken - thanks for updating the information, and the prompt to update mine.

I did not want to be a naysayer when you suggested ordering the parts piecemeal, but I had a feeling it might be more hassle than it would have been worth. But at the time you were discussing it, we were thinking a waterproof transformer might be important. I believe in hindsight that it is not an issue.

If you want to add fiberglass sleeving to your wires, search eBay for "fiberglass sleeving" -- seller "furryletters" sells lots of 15' of 1/4" sleeving for $5 shipped: http://tinyurl.com/l5b2yn .

wondered if you have an update on how your install is doing?

Yes. The unit is working flawlessly so far. No apparent issues with heat affecting the transformer. The adhesive has not shown any signs of giving up. I have the machine on about 3-5 hours per day, and the lights make a nice night light for the kitchen.

The lights are mounted behind the portafilter on either side. This creates a slight reflection in the stream of espresso when I look at it, but not a big deal. Optimal placement would be above and in front of the portafilter I think, but on my machine that's impossible.

Overall I am VERY happy with the price and ease of installation.

- Dana

Dana Leighton - Espresso hack and CoffeeGeek moderator
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
dana_leighton
dana_leighton

Posted Sat Sep 19, 2009, 11:54pm

SwingT Said:

I live in a Metro area of about 300K. No way you can find hi temperature wiring that size, and if someone had it that size, probably couldn't buy it by the foot.

BTW, I have about 10 feet of the 105C wire that I cut off the Ikea unit. It has a plug on one end, and a switch is embedded in it. If you want me to send it to you, send me an email at my public email address and include your mailing address.

SwingT

Posted Sun Sep 20, 2009, 6:55am

dana_leighton Said:

BTW, I have about 10 feet of the 105C wire that I cut off the Ikea unit. It has a plug on one end, and a switch is embedded in it. If you want me to send it to you, send me an email at my public email address and include your mailing address.

e-mail sent.

very gracious of you.

thanks

Ken
dana_leighton
dana_leighton

Posted Thu Mar 31, 2011, 5:48pm

I want to update this thread with the results of the LED installation after about 18 months.

The transformer seems to handle the heat in the case just fine, with one possible caveat. I have noticed recently that occasionally the lights will start flashing or flickering at a very high frequency, and the flashing will gradually (over the course of a half hour or so) slow down so that it's quite noticeable. I have only noticed it a few times over the last month, but I am not staring at my machine all day either.

The adhesive on the lights is holding fine, and the wiring is not as flexible as it once was, but not brittle or cracking.

If the flickering problem gets more persistent, I may need to replace the transformer, but so far it's a very nice mod that has held up very well.

zircote
zircote

Espresso: Fiorenzato Bricoletta
Grinder: Pro M
Roaster: Behmoor
Posted Fri Apr 1, 2011, 4:30pm

Dana
The transformer- power supply- is sending you a message.
The quality of the DC power it is delivering to the LEDs is breaking down, one or more of the components is almost cooked
they produce a good deal of heat on their own
with the ambient temp near 150 degrees there is no place for that additional heat to escape to
My bet is that although the wire is rated for higher temp the power supply needs a little cool air
Maybe mounted near the bottom of the machine frame would be enough
The air convection should be enough to keep it cool
dana_leighton
dana_leighton

Posted Mon Apr 18, 2011, 9:31pm

I purchased a replacement transformer - it was from eBay, from a seller known as usapdi for $14 shipped. It is rated for 120F and I moved the mounting to the area under the steam valve, in a place that runs between 105-115F. We'll see how long this one lasts. :)

dana_leighton
dana_leighton

Posted Sun May 8, 2011, 6:42pm

Well, that power supply became flaky after 2 weeks; some days it worked, others it didn't. The eBay seller replaced it (even though it had no explicit warranty), and I mounted on the bottom of the case, just in front of the power block where the temperature is lower (93F last time I measured it). This power supply is waterproof, so I felt comfortable mounting it where it might be subject to an occasional spill or water leak. Lets see if this one goes longer. :)

dana_leighton
dana_leighton

Posted Sat Jan 21, 2012, 9:58pm

Just an update as I recently re-read this thread. After 8 months the waterproof transformer mounted low in the case is doing fine. It looks like the eBay seller I referenced does not have them for sale at the moment.

dana_leighton
dana_leighton

Posted Sat Apr 20, 2013, 6:21pm

Another update: The replacement power supply has been fine now for 2 years. The wiring and LED adhesive seems to be holding up fine after almost 4 years.

showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Adding LEDs to...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.282238006592)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+