Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Source for Gicar PIDs?
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Source for Gicar...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
jslanger

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Ascaso Steel Duo
Grinder: B. Vario
Vac Pot: Bodum FP
Posted Wed Apr 27, 2011, 8:07am
Subject: Source for Gicar PIDs?

I've been looking at all the different PID mod options that I can find, but I haven't found any source for Gicar PID controllers. Most parts suppliers have Gicar control boxes for auto-fill but no PIDs.  Can anyone point me to a good resource on the subject?

Thanks.

-Jim
 View Profile Link to this post
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Wed Apr 27, 2011, 11:09am
Subject: Re: Source for Gicar PIDs?

???
A PID is merely an electronic thermostat. You do not need a Gicar brand PID (not that there is one that I have ever seen). In function, The PID replaces the pressurestat. Some leave the pressurestart in series with the PID as a safety device, setting it a few tenths of a bar over the PID's setting so if the PID's SSR fails closed, the pressurestat will protect the machine from overpressure and the opening of the safety calve.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jslanger

Posted Wed Apr 27, 2011, 12:03pm

frcn-

Thanks for the reply.  Sorry I wasn't more thorough in my first post. I understand what PIDs are and their use in espresso machines. Gicar is listed as the brand of PID in the Alex Duetto and a few other machines.  I've found sources for Auber, Fuji, Watlow, etc., but in all of my searching I haven't found a dealer for Gicar PIDs. I really like the aesthetics of the Gicar control panel and found the lack of readily available information intriguing.

-Jim
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Wed Apr 27, 2011, 1:15pm

I have a feeling that the Gicar PID's are proprietary for the machines, spec'd and built for the manufacturer as an OEM part. I would guess that IF you can find a reseller that stocks them or can order them you will end up spending about twice what one of the others you listed will cost.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jslanger

Posted Wed Apr 27, 2011, 3:53pm

That makes sense.  Most of the references I've seen on retailers websites touted the fact that the  "PID was designed specifically for this machine!"

-Jim
Mayhem_SWE
Mayhem_SWE
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Marzocco Linea
Grinder: Elektra Nino
Posted Sun May 1, 2011, 3:45am

Chris Coffee Service is the master importer for the Izzo Alex Duetto and performs service on them, even if not listed explicitly on the website they are bound to have spare Gicar PID units in stock. Probably going to cost an order of magnitude more than buying a cheap Chinese unit of eBay though.

I considered going the same route myself because it is indeed much prettier than industrial PID units, but ended up buying a GS/3 brainbox instead as it will provide much other functionality above just temperature management.

Too much is not enough
gucciago
gucciago
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: 07 La Marzocco Linea...
Grinder: MAZZER Major with doser
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: N/A
Roaster: Custom Gas Drum Roaster/PID...
Posted Sat Aug 18, 2012, 2:19pm

jslanger Said:

frcn-

Thanks for the reply.  Sorry I wasn't more thorough in my first post. I understand what PIDs are and their use in espresso machines. Gicar is listed as the brand of PID in the Alex Duetto and a few other machines.  I've found sources for Auber, Fuji, Watlow, etc., but in all of my searching I haven't found a dealer for Gicar PIDs. I really like the aesthetics of the Gicar control panel and found the lack of readily available information intriguing.

-Jim

Posted April 27, 2011 link

Jim, did you ever find the PID? I found this site... Click Here (www.jetblackespresso.com.au)

Dennis P
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Source for Gicar...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.226936101913)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+