Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Yet another Silvia mod..
Gourmet Organic Coffee
Temblor is a smooth high-grown Guatemalan coffee that presents notes of spice and chocolate.
thelostgringo.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Yet another...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
mani

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Campak K3 Touch
Posted Mon Mar 7, 2011, 10:15am
Subject: Yet another Silvia mod..

Hi,

Peuw! I have finally finished my Silvia PID mod project!
I went for a completely "home made" solution and it turned out quite nice.
Have a look at mackro.se/coffee
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Nathan

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia v3
Grinder: Vario
Vac Pot: Hario
Posted Mon Mar 7, 2011, 11:52am
Subject: Re: Yet another Silvia mod..

Well done. I'm currently working in a similar project, only it uses a thermocouple. I like the graphs you have. It's interesting you mention the PID constants you needed. Currently I have these constants (not sure these are really inter compatible).

#define P_CONST 70 //Proportional Constant  
#define I_CONST 10 //Integral Constant
#define D_CONST 25 //Derivative Constant

These are from the TC4 project, which is a PID that is made for a roaster mostly, so it might not really be compatible in terms of its PID calcs.
mani

Posted Mon Mar 7, 2011, 12:20pm

I guess the values depend on the implementation, different algorithms, sensors etc.

Since the response of the heater is slow I found it easy to get overshoots and oscillations. It is more stable for me when using a lot of D-gain and only a little I-gain.
Nathan

Posted Mon Mar 7, 2011, 12:26pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks as if your system is slightly built on the TC4 as well?

I also can't find your PID values in your source.
mani

Posted Mon Mar 7, 2011, 12:39pm

Never heard about TC4 but I found the skeleton for the PID code on the internet so it might be from that one.
The PID values are not in the source code because they are set from the menu.
Currently I am using:
P=9
I=0.7
D=135

But again, different implementations will have different values.
Nathan

Posted Mon Mar 7, 2011, 5:58pm

I noticed on mine that it only pretty much starts slowing down when it's within 10 degrees, slows down pretty harshly, and then stops. I haven't connected this to the actual machine yet, so it could work well, who knows. Thanks for the info though.
JGG
JGG
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: PID Silvia; PID Alexia
Grinder: Mazzer SJ
Roaster: Hottop D w/HTC+TC4C
Posted Mon Mar 7, 2011, 6:26pm

Hi, mani -

Very nice project!  I have been thinking along similar lines, and have actually made quite a bit of progress.  So it is nice to see a successful, completed installation.

For sensing temperatures, I assume you are using the AVR's 10-bit ADC.  By my estimates, this would give a temperature resolution of around +/- 0.5C with the LM35AH, right?

If you don't mind sharing, can you post a little more information about the plastic enclosure for your LCD display?  I am spinning my wheels badly on this part of my project.

Jim
mani

Posted Tue Mar 8, 2011, 2:28am

Yes, I am using the 10-bit ADC with the internal 2.56V reference voltage. This gives a resolution of 0.25 deg C.
But! The big improvement I made was to let the ADC sample all the time and then once per second calculate the average of all samples from the last second.
This gives the impression that the resolution is better than it actually is. For example when the temperature is rising slowly, the calculated average value is rising smoothly 0.01 degrees at the time.

Regarding the plastic box. The electronic supplier here in Sweden has a lot of different plastic boxes and I just bought one that had the right size. I guess it would be even easier to find one in the US. The one I bought is called 1591MBK from Hammond. http://www.hammondmfg.com/dwg2XX.htm
JGG
JGG

Posted Wed Mar 9, 2011, 5:49pm

I was not aware of the internal 2.56V reference voltage.  I thought it was 5V.  I guess I need to get the book out!

Until you had answered my question about the box, I did not realize that the plastic bezel around the LCD display was a loose piece.  Where did you get that?  I think the bezel might be what I am looking for.

Thanks again.

Jim
JGG
JGG

Posted Thu Mar 10, 2011, 6:19am

JGG Said:

I was not aware of the internal 2.56V reference voltage.

Posted March 9, 2011 link

Turns out that my AVR chip (ATmega328P) provides a 1.1V internal reference, not 2.56V.  Apparently, this value is different for different AVR series.  Now I know something new :-)

Jim
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Yet another...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
LavAzza Espresso Machines
Awesome capsule espresso machines. Perfect for home, office and restaurant applications.
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.241271018982)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+