Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
V3 Silvia wand on Gaggia Classic?
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > V3 Silvia wand...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 5 of 8 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
daduck748

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Gaggia Classic (2012)
Grinder: Breville BMF600XL
Posted Tue Jan 8, 2013, 3:03pm
Subject: Re: V3 Silvia wand on Gaggia Classic?

Here's the modified adapter, all lubed up and ready for installation.  Just kidding about the lube.  It's just teflon tape.

It is easier to install everything a piece at a time.  Of course, I started with the adapter.  It'll save you a lot of burns by taping everything before it goes on the machine.  Mine is on 24x7 so it was hot.  I did burn myself twice last night, I think.

daduck748: IMG_2206.JPG
(Click for larger image)

Gaggia Classic
Breville BMF600XL
Ducati Hypersport 748r
 View Profile Link to this post
daduck748

Posted Tue Jan 8, 2013, 3:06pm

We're all familiar with this setup.

daduck748: IMG_2202.JPG
(Click for larger image)

Gaggia Classic
Breville BMF600XL
Ducati Hypersport 748r
daduck748

Posted Tue Jan 8, 2013, 3:08pm

Here's the same setup with the Silvia V3 steam wand.

I like how the connection is only barely the size of the hex part of the adapter.

In deed the wand is longer, much longer, but it still doesn't reach the bottom of a 20oz pitcher.

daduck748: IMG_2209.JPG
(Click for larger image)

Gaggia Classic
Breville BMF600XL
Ducati Hypersport 748r
daduck748

Posted Tue Jan 8, 2013, 3:14pm

Here's the installation process.

After taping the adapter on both ends, I made sure the OEM o-ring was removed from the copper tube/fitting on the Classic.

If doing this mod with the V_1422, you will need a 17mm wrench for this.

The adapter will go all the way in, so keep turning it, but don't force it.  You could damage the copper pipe.  If you really wanted to, you could open up the top and hold the fitting with another wrench.  I did not see any need to do so.

daduck748: IMG_2207.JPG
(Click for larger image)

Gaggia Classic
Breville BMF600XL
Ducati Hypersport 748r
daduck748

Posted Tue Jan 8, 2013, 3:17pm

Now that the adapter is installed and the 3/8 end is upside down, you'll have to put the spring and ring on the wand (upside down) and install it.  Don't ask how the assembly goes in, otherwise you probably shouldn't be doing this mod.

You'll need a 22mm wrench for this part.  Again, it will go all the way down.  Just don't force anything.

daduck748: IMG_2208.JPG
(Click for larger image)

Gaggia Classic
Breville BMF600XL
Ducati Hypersport 748r
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Tue Jan 8, 2013, 3:19pm

daduck748 Said:

Sorry about the confusion.  I was never good with part numbers.

I just verified with EspressoParts and the V_1422 is the correct part.  It should read 3/8M to 1/8M BSP.

I didn't have to do anything with the threads on the 3/8 side.  It fit fairly well, not too loose, not too tight.  Being a design engineer and machinist, I tend to like things more on the snug side, but this adapter is ok (on the 3/8 end).

So on the 1/8 side, it is not quit M10-1.0 so I had to chase it with a M10-1.0 die.

On the 3/8 side, no need to modify the threads, just bore the hole out to 1/2" diameter and just under 1/2" deep.  That's pretty much it.

I bored the hole on my manual lathe which made things a lot easier.  Everything lined up and no material chatter.  If doing it manually, I would recommend using a vise to hold the adapter.

The spring and pad came with the wand.

Posted January 8, 2013 link

Thanks, very clear.  

As you noted, the lathe is best.   I suspect that without a lathe and 1/2" cutter it would be difficult.  1/2" end cutter could chatter too much in a drillpress..  You think that a drill with its taper would be ok; looks like the taper may not cause a problem because the spring would "bottom" on the outer edges of the bore.

Comment on shortening the V3 wand and re-thread?

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
daduck748

Posted Tue Jan 8, 2013, 3:21pm

I only ran one test through the wand last night.  I came down with the flu so I'm surprised I got this far with this project last night.

This was the one and only test so far, in a 20oz pitcher with about 2oz of whole milk.  I didn't want to do too much since I had no intentions of drinking it last night.

Any deficiencies in the foam is my lack of skill, but I think for a first test, both me and the wand did ok.

There were no leaks, water or steam in the entire system, except at the tip, but that's probably because I didn't tighten it when I was inspecting it.

daduck748: IMG_2210.JPG
(Click for larger image)

Gaggia Classic
Breville BMF600XL
Ducati Hypersport 748r
daduck748

Posted Tue Jan 8, 2013, 3:32pm

Yeah, I would highly recommend a lathe but it's not your common household appliance.  :D

Being a fairly inventive person, I have tried the endmill in a hand drill and I would highly recommend NO BODY do this!  Don't do it!

A drill bit/drill press would be ok.  I think because of the taper on the drill bit, you would have to drill it WAY less than 1/2" deep, since the taper will add to where the spring will ultimately sit.  Since these adapters are so cheap, I would suggest buying a few of them, in case you screw something up.  I think if you can hold everything tight enough and square enough, you could probably get a 1/2" endmill in the chuck, which would be WAY better than a drill bit.

What you could do is drill it out with, say a 3/8" or even 7/16" drill bit and follow it with a 1/2" endmill.  That would reduce cutting forces and you will get smooth walls.  Also, assuming you can hold everything tight enough.

I guess if anyone wants this mod, I can spend a day and crank out a few of these for people. I have 1 adapter on hand.  Just PM me.

Gaggia Classic
Breville BMF600XL
Ducati Hypersport 748r
daduck748

Posted Tue Jan 8, 2013, 3:55pm

D4F Said:

Thanks, very clear.  

As you noted, the lathe is best.   I suspect that without a lathe and 1/2" cutter it would be difficult.  1/2" end cutter could chatter too much in a drillpress..  You think that a drill with its taper would be ok; looks like the taper may not cause a problem because the spring would "bottom" on the outer edges of the bore.

Comment on shortening the V3 wand and re-thread?

Oh, to address the spring, bottoming at the outer edges of the bore, this at face value true.  However, if you want to get technical, the diameter of the spring and ring is about 0.475" (roughly, depending on where you measure at).  This already will allow the spring to settle in the hole in any way or position it wants.  I bored it to 1/2" because it was easy to find a 1/2" endmill in my shop and it would allow some space for spring compression and all that mumbo jumbo.

Long story short, depending on how deep you drilled the hole, the spring may sit about 1/32" - 1/16" deeper than anticipated.  So, make sure you drill and test, drill and test.  The ring should stick out about 1/8" from the edge of the adapter if done correctly.

And I don't think there will be any shortening of the wand.  I would like to, but that would probably require a YAG laser and that's not something I have in my shop.  I have a TIG but one mistake and I'll be waiting another week for another wand.  Maybe I'll open up the hole on the Gaggia and push everything up, giving me another inch or so of bottom clearance.  It doesn't matter.  I'm going to build a platform to raise the machine up about 3-4 inches.  I only use my bottomless filter and always stooping, so a few inches will help me in the back pain area.

Gaggia Classic
Breville BMF600XL
Ducati Hypersport 748r
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Tue Jan 8, 2013, 4:18pm

daduck748 Said:

And I don't think there will be any shortening of the wand.  I would like to, but that would probably require a YAG laser and that's not something I have in my shop.  I have a TIG but one mistake and I'll be waiting another week for another wand.

I have not held one of these wands.  Is the tip not a screw in/on?  Frow the picture, I wonder about cut and thread?

Sorry that you have the flu, virus.  Good for the rest of us that it is not a computer virus :)

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
showing page 5 of 8 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > V3 Silvia wand...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.29706788063)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+