Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
La Pavoni Europiccola Restoration.  Pics. Early machine example.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > La Pavoni...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
crazy4espresso
crazy4espresso
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Silvia, La Pavoni...
Grinder: Pharos
Posted Wed Jan 13, 2010, 11:47am
Subject: La Pavoni Europiccola Restoration.  Pics. Early machine example.

]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]This is my first attempt at a restoration of an espresso machine.  When I originally purchased the machine, my intention was to just simply use it as it was, seeing as there was no evidence of any leaks and the heater element seemed to work fine.  However it was recommended to me that I at least change the piston gaskets, to ensure that I would be able to properly brew/pull an espresso shot.  During the tear down, and upon inspection of all gaskets, I determined that they all needed changing, and with that the project began.  I'm sorry that the first pic was taken after the tear down began, and so I will attempt to document each step which occurred since inception.
 The first pics show the machine with the piston, lever, and element already removed.
Click Here (i155.photobucket.com)
 Here is the view from underneath.  As you can see, this particular machine has the screw on type brass/copper element which is a real pain to remove!!  It took a bit of penetrating fluid, a strap wrench, and a few cuss words to remove, but it finally came off. I believe this machine to be from the early 70's or perhaps 60's, judging by the two position switch, element, and early style boiler cap (same as the Co-fer machines).
Take note of that heavy duty brass retaining ring.  It was by far the hardest piece to remove and took a hammer and screwdriver (not best method I know) to do it.
Base on it's own:
 Now some pics of the inside of the boiler and group.  The boiler had quite a bit of scale but an overnight soak in citric acid solution (Dezcal) brought the nice copper colour out.
Now here is the element, which was completely covered in scale, which had turned quite dark and was coming off in chunks even.  Not something you want in your espresso! These pics show the element after cleaning and shows one pic of the outer brass condition before I went to work on it.

Before:
After:
Element, after:

Now here is a pic of the steam valve, early style boiler cap, some gaskets, brass piston with new seals already installed, new portafilter basket, and original screen.

Now the boiler after a first clean (still not done though), for which I quite pleased with the results so far:

I'm now waiting on some more new gaskets/seals, courtesy of orphanespresso, as well as having the base professionally powdercoated in grey.
The only thing I'm not touching is the sight glass.  I figure it doesn't leak, so I'm not going to risk breaking it.  I'll keep posting with updates.
 View Profile Link to this post
crazy4espresso
crazy4espresso

Posted Fri Feb 12, 2010, 11:25am
Subject: Re: La Pavoni Europiccola Restoration.  Pics. Early machine example.

]]]]I just finished up the restoration.  Here are some pics.  Now I have to learn how to use this beautiful machine.  I'll be more than happy to answer any questions to those attempting to restore a La Pavoni lever. Cheers!

Base after powdercoating:

Completed machine:

Another angle:

Next to Silvia!!

CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Fri Feb 12, 2010, 2:32pm

You are to be commended on a job well done.  I have the same exact vintage pavoni, except Euro voltage of 220.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
crazy4espresso
crazy4espresso

Posted Fri Feb 12, 2010, 4:54pm

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

You are to be commended on a job well done.  I have the same exact vintage pavoni, except Euro voltage of 220.

Len

Posted February 12, 2010 link

Thank you! Would you place this model in the early to mid 60's, or was this a later machine?
dana_leighton
dana_leighton
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Fri Feb 12, 2010, 7:11pm

Based on the drip tray design and the two-position switch, it seems likely to be a 1960s machine. Based on what I have seen (mostly at Dr Pavoni's site), they changed the drip tray design and the switch in the 70s.
http://pavoniexpress.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=3

Dana Leighton - Espresso hack and CoffeeGeek moderator
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Fri Feb 12, 2010, 7:42pm

crazy4espresso Said:

Thank you! Would you place this model in the early to mid 60's, or was this a later machine?

Posted February 12, 2010 link

60's, just like mine.  Yours even has the same type switch as mine (that being a standard old toggle").

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
coelcanth

Posted Sat Feb 13, 2010, 8:23pm

cool thread !

I am about to start a full restoration on a similar vintage Europiccola, but yours has much better chrome

there is a really thorough website that outlines dating info and model changes to La Pavonis throughout the years here:
http://www.francescoceccarelli.eu/index.htm

i'm not sure if the site's always consistent or clear, but your machine looks like a late 60s or early 70s machine to me..
it has the removable dispersion screen, stainless cup tray with round holes, and later style portafilter among other things..
maybe check the serial number ?

compare these two pages:
1967 machine
1970 machine
crazy4espresso
crazy4espresso

Posted Sat Feb 13, 2010, 9:07pm

Thanks for the link! I bought the drip tray new because the original was missing so can't really go by that, but judging by the numbers on the group, B6497 (though not mentioned on the site), it would seem it's from the early 70's? It appears that the B series started in 1970?  My portafilter seems to be from that era, though it may not be original to the machine either.
caffecafone

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sat Jun 26, 2010, 6:23am

I apologize if this is not the proper place to post this question. I am new to this forum. But, has anyone ever fit a pressure guage on a europiccola? Is it possible?
pinofredd

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Jul 9, 2010, 12:14am

Hi all,
i'm a new member and i'm from italy.
I've an europiccola of the same kind, i think it's from the end of the '60 firs '70 like you said.

Now i want to restore, but the first problem is:

how to unmount the base element?
i think it's impossible without the original tool, but i'm wrong....

i'm sorry for my terrible english, but this is a way to practice it, thank you for all the possible correction...
:)
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > La Pavoni...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.305604934692)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+