Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Adjustments needed after insulating boiler?
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Adjustments...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
davethebrewguy
davethebrewguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Fiorenzato Bricoletta,...
Grinder: Compak K-6, Baratza Maestro...
Drip: Saeco Renaissance
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Apr 7, 2010, 9:28pm
Subject: Adjustments needed after insulating boiler?

I usually run my Bric 24/7 but I was away last week so I shut it off. While I was away I ordered a piece of melamine foam to insulate the boiler and since the machine was already cool when I got home I figured I'd just jump into the project. It took longer than expected but I descaled it and did a few other minor tweeks while I was in there. One of the tweeks was lowering the pressurestat a hair, I'd been running a little hotter than I'd like and I had hoped to knock 3-4 degrees off of it.
Previously, the PS was shutting off at 1.25 BAR and my grouphead thermometer would read 206-206.5 after extended idling. After turning it down the smallest increment I could manage (and insulating the boiler) the PS would now shut off at 1.15 BAR but the grouphead temp was only around 196. I turned it back up that tiny hint of a turn and the boiler pressure came back up to 1.2-1.25 but the temp still only came up to 199, a second adjustment brought the temperature up to 202.5 but the pressure is now 1.3 bar.
I did descale the machine during this process but there was very little scale (very soft bottled water, very low use, descaled annually whether it needs it or not) so I don't think that this is a factor. I am currently running the machine with the top cover (cup warmer) off so there may be more air flow over the tubing in and out of the thermosyphon loop. Am I missing something here? Evidently, I have to keep the boiler hotter and the grouphead is still cooler than it used to be. I wouldn't expect insulating the boiler to have this kind of effect on the group temperature. Is this normal?
 View Profile Link to this post
JamesWarren

Expertise: Professional

Posted Thu Apr 8, 2010, 11:45pm
Subject: Re: Adjustments needed after insulating boiler?

Inspect the heat-exchanger loop to ensure scale has not inhibited the flow, in addition replace the diaphragm on the pressure-sat as they get rigid over time creating lager hysteresis.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
fnacer

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Salvatore E61, Vivaldi Mini...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Gaggia MDF,...
Posted Fri Apr 9, 2010, 10:25am

Googling didn't help. Or rather, I am feeling too lazy to read what I am sure in an enlightening and very relevant discussion in  "Electrical Property of a Layered Non-Centrosymmetric Self-Assembly" or "Study on advanced multilayered magnetostrictive thin film coating techniques for MEMS applications".

So I thought I'd just ask. What is lager hysteresis?

F.
davethebrewguy
davethebrewguy

Posted Fri Apr 9, 2010, 11:30am

JamesWarren Said:

Inspect the heat-exchanger loop to ensure scale has not inhibited the flow, in addition replace the diaphragm on the pressure-sat as they get rigid over time creating lager hysteresis.

Posted April 8, 2010 link

I look into the heat exchanger loop. Checking the PS seems counter intuitive, how could it cause the group to run cooler while the boiler that it controls is running hotter? Could the diaphragm harden noticeably after only 5 days?

fnacer Said:

Googling didn't help. Or rather, I am feeling too lazy to read what I am sure in an enlightening and very relevant discussion in  "Electrical Property of a Layered Non-Centrosymmetric Self-Assembly" or "Study on advanced multilayered magnetostrictive thin film coating techniques for MEMS applications".

So I thought I'd just ask. What is lager hysteresis?

F.

Posted April 9, 2010 link

Lager hysteresis is what happens when I've had too many beers and think everything is funny. I think he meant larger hysteresis, an increase in the lag between change in the input vs. change in the output resulting in greater swings during each cycle.
JGG
JGG
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: PID Silvia; PID Alexia
Grinder: Mazzer SJ
Roaster: Hottop D w/HTC+TC4C
Posted Fri Apr 9, 2010, 12:45pm

This Home-Barista.com thread might give you some new ideas.

Seems unlikely to me that insulating the boiler would cause a thermosyphon stall.  There are too many insulated steam boilers out there on HX machines for the insulation to be the bad guy.

Jim
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
davethebrewguy
davethebrewguy

Posted Fri Apr 9, 2010, 4:01pm

JGG Said:

This Home-Barista.com thread might give you some new ideas.

Seems unlikely to me that insulating the boiler would cause a thermosyphon stall.  There are too many insulated steam boilers out there on HX machines for the insulation to be the bad guy.

Jim

Thanks for the link... I think...
At just a couple degrees lower than expected, I wouldn't call it "thermosyphon stall," but a restriction is a possibility. Between JamesWarren's suggestion of a restriction due to a chunk of scale and some of the info in the link, I decided to open up the group.
I pulled the gicleur screen and there was a small amount of chrome stuck to it. I cleaned it out, along with the bits I found around the gicleur once I pulled the screen out and then decided to pull the whole mushroom. Once the mushroom was out I found a surprising quantity of chrome buts inside the group (watchmaking tools come in handy, especially Rodico which picked up the chrome bits nicely). The good news is that the chrome is out, the bad news is that the group is now leaking after pulling blank shots. I also backflushed the heck out of it with Joe-Glo once I put it back together but that didn't help.  I guess the seals are getting hard so I'll have to order a rebuild kit and learn how to dismantle the rest of an E61 group. Any tips? I've got it idling now to see where the temp settles.

BTW, how is "gicleur" pronounced?

Edit: Well this isn't good...after an hour my group is up to 235F! I guess it's dripping enough to empty the thermosyphon loop and I'm just reading steam. Never had that happen before!?!
ThomasK

Espresso: Bialetti
Grinder: Kitchenaid Pro Line
Drip: Technivorm Mocca Master
Posted Tue Jul 23, 2013, 6:39am

davethebrewguy Said:

I look into the heat exchanger loop. Checking the PS seems counter intuitive, how could it cause the group to run cooler while the boiler that it controls is running hotter? Could the diaphragm harden noticeably after only 5 days?

Lager hysteresis is what happens when I've had too many beers and think everything is funny. I think he meant larger hysteresis, an increase in the lag between change in the input vs. change in the output resulting in greater swings during each cycle.

An old thread but I thought I should correct/clarify this.

"Hysteresis" is the error (delta) when you try to reach a setpoint from one side of a range of movement versus from the other.  "Where you came from influences where you will arrive."  HVAC systems that shed temperature will reach a set degree in a different fashion than when heating toward the same temperature.  Industrial robots trying to land at a spot coming from one side versus reaching the same spot while approaching from the opposite side of its range.

Lag in response between input versus output (that is not inertia related) is called "deadband" - for example, the house HVAC is set to 74 degrees - and behind the scenes (in the control box) you have at least a 2 degree deadband - meaning that cooling kicks in when measured temp hits 75 and turns off when it reaches 73.  In this case the deadband should be set to create sufficient runtime - to allow proper dehumidification.

Control problems arise if you try to tweak your system so that the deadband becomes narrower than the hysteresis - then you can get oscillations depending on the type of system.

Inertia only compounds issues.

Modern PID control aims to compensate for all of the above - tweaking the settings to arrive at an optimal state - where the weakest link in the chain will be the limiting factor.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Adjustments...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.272495985031)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+