Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
What has 2 thumbs and loves his PIDed Saeco Aroma?
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > What has 2...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 6 last page next page
Author Messages
Rusto
Rusto
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Miss Silvia
Grinder: SJ
Drip: Bodum French Press
Posted Fri Feb 19, 2010, 9:39pm
Subject: What has 2 thumbs and loves his PIDed Saeco Aroma?

THIS GUY! Gets to temp quick and STAYS there. It's steaming power has gone up tremendously. Not difficult to program. Set C or F, which kind of thermocouple etc, then tell it to "Auto-tune" and you're done. No dual setpoints, but easy to manually change temp.
Paid >$65 shipped for the PID, thermocouple, and 40a SSR. Add another $10 for a project enclosure, wire, thermal paste and a pipe clamp to hold the thermocouple in place and you're set for under $75. I got my equipment from lightobject.com The PID appears to be the same as the Auber ones, FWIW.
It's helped me to produce way more consistent espresso. Hated the guessing game of temp surfing. I'd never go back.

Rusto: pid3.jpg
(Click for larger image)

Hey, man. Nice shot.
 View Profile Link to this post
geoffbeier

Espresso: Alex Duetto II, Gaggia...
Grinder: Macap M4 Stepless, Faema MPN
Posted Fri Feb 19, 2010, 9:45pm
Subject: Re: What has 2 thumbs and loves his PIDed Saeco Aroma?

Very nice. I've never heard of lightobject.com before... I've only seen that kind of pricing on ebay. Was this a used controller or a new one?
Rusto
Rusto

Posted Fri Feb 19, 2010, 9:55pm

Brand spanking new. He sells on eBay under the name ColdFusionX, I think. But it's cheaper to order from his site. Ordered Tues and got it Fri. Shipped from CA to MN.
There seems to be quite a range in prices for PIDs and thermocouples. I've seen similar type K thermocouples go from $3-20.

Hey, man. Nice shot.
nicatim

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Sun Feb 21, 2010, 11:52pm

I have been looking to do this mod to my Saeco, but for $150 I was not going to bother for now.
But you have renewed hope!
Is there any way of getting a list of the parts needed, and a brief rundown of the process?
Any info would be appreciated.

Great job!

Oh, I just noticed the steam wand, which one did you end up with? Was it a straight fit, or some extra mod needed?
Rusto
Rusto

Posted Sun Mar 14, 2010, 6:14pm

Oops. Missed your post somehow.
Parts:
PID Click Here (www.lightobject.com)
Thermocouple Click Here (www.lightobject.com) I finessed the probe out of the screw. Attached it to the boiler with a pipe clamp and used plenty of heatsink grease. I also bought the pt100 sensor for a different project. I'm going to use that for my Silvia that I picked up last week!
SSR Click Here (www.lightobject.com)
Nutshell, from memory, could be wrong.
These are nice for the project box. Click Here (www.radioshack.com)
  1. Unplug both thermostats. They are in series. The wire going from the switch to the brew thermostat goes to one end of the SSR, the  wire going from the steam thermostat to the heating element goes to the other end of the SSR.
    The PID ctrlr tells you where everything hooks up to.  Set it up for the type of temp probe you're using, let it "Auto-tune" for an hour or so.
    I mounted a cheapass Radio Shack project box on the side. Drilled a hole in the machine.
  2. Total time: approximately 3 hours. Next one would take an hour.

I cut wires and attached new ones. For a do-over, I'd use Radio Shack spade lug adapters, #64-3064, so that it'd be easier to return to stock. Plus, I'd like a purtier project box.
This my "brief rundown of the process." Not directions to install it on yours! Just to give you an idear. Perhaps I'll do a real instructional post for the Aroma. But I wouldn't hold my breath as I have a newborn and precious little spare time!
Good luck to ya.
Oh, and that's a stock wand. I'll have a Silvia wand for sale when I get my V.3 wand. But that'll be down the road. Want to have a good idea what my stock Silvia will do before I mod it.

Hey, man. Nice shot.
solvealways
solvealways
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Silvia
Grinder: Rocky
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: I-Roast
Posted Tue Mar 16, 2010, 8:27am

brilliant!

Where did you get your enclosure?

I'll probably do this in the next month and I'll try to take pics of the process

Cheers

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Rusto
Rusto

Posted Tue Mar 16, 2010, 10:37am

Radio Shack. I'd rather have a shiny aluminium one like at auberins.com. But that one would have been too small.

Hey, man. Nice shot.
kopiMonk

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Saeco Aroma
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bialetti Brikka
Drip: Clever Dripper
Posted Sat Apr 3, 2010, 10:07pm

Great mod !!! Your mod has tempted me to do the same for my Saeco Aroma. Price seems reasonable too. However, I noticed that you did it on a Starbucks Barista. Does anyone have better instructions for installing this PID kit on a the Aroma ? Perhaps, referring to the top view of the Aroma in the attached image , just to give a better idea of the wiring that needs to be cut, etc. ? A step by step instructional would be awesome.

kopiMonk: interior.jpg
(Click for larger image)
Coffee4Steph

Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Vac Pot: Yama 8 cup
Posted Sun Apr 4, 2010, 2:38am

Can we get some pics? how is the thermocouple mounted to the boiler?
Rusto
Rusto

Posted Mon Apr 5, 2010, 4:03pm

I'll get some pics up when I'm done with my taxes. Aaargh. Might even do a video.
The easiest way to think about adding the PID is that you're taking the spades off of the brew thermostat and connecting them with new wires to one side of the SSR. The other side is connected to the controller. That decides when to complete the circuit by switching on the SSR.
I bought an adjustable pipe clamp and worked it around the bottom of the boiler. Dabbed a bunch of heat sink compound in the sensor and tightened the clamp til the sensor snugged up against the boiler.
You don't need to cut any wires. You unplug the thermostat, have new wires with male spades coming from the SSR. If you want the PID to turn on with the espresso machines switch, you'll need wires coming from the controller to the switch. The wires'll need piggyback connectors so they can share the same plugins as the wires already connected to the switch.
If you want the PID to control the steam temp too, you can either unplug the steam thermostat and manually change the temps. Or get fancy and lookup "steam temp control with a single setpoint PID". I'll get more specific when I have time.
Also, ebay has a ton of enclosures. Most are shipped from CHINA, but the prices are right. Around $10, give or take.

Hey, man. Nice shot.
showing page 1 of 6 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > What has 2...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
LavAzza Espresso Machines
Awesome capsule espresso machines. Perfect for home, office and restaurant applications.
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.266194105148)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+