Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Espresso Shot Timer prototype
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Espresso Shot...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
futz
futz
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rocket Cellini Premium Plus
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Sat Sep 12, 2009, 9:28pm
Subject: Espresso Shot Timer prototype

I've designed myself a shot timer. It's prototyped on breadboard now and the software is finished. Pretty simple. It just sleeps till you hit the button, then counts up to 59 seconds and goes back to sleep to save the batteries. LED displays look cooler than LCD, but they eat a LOT more power. Running off batteries means only turning on the displays when they're needed.

It's pretty large and sprawling on the breadboard. I'm going to solder together a nice compact one sometime next week for everyday use. It will have the blue displays. I like them better than green.

futz: e_timer001_800x600.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
futz
futz

Posted Tue Sep 15, 2009, 7:28pm
Subject: Re: Espresso Shot Timer prototype

Got it all wired up and it works good, but I think I have a defective display. On one of the two displays the A and F segments are dim. I've triple checked the wiring and solder joints and all seems good. How annoying!  Replacing that display will be a tough job.

futz: IMG_1551-800x600sm.JPG
(Click for larger image)
futz
futz

Posted Tue Sep 15, 2009, 7:30pm

Here's the backside, and the reason replacing that display will be fairly difficult.

futz: IMG_1552-800x600sm.JPG
(Click for larger image)
KnowGood
KnowGood
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola...
Grinder: Kyocera CM-45 CF hand...
Posted Tue Sep 15, 2009, 7:48pm

What size is that board? It looks small enough that you could download the free version of eagle and do a clean layout version.
futz
futz

Posted Tue Sep 15, 2009, 9:25pm

KnowGood Said:

What size is that board? It looks small enough that you could download the free version of eagle and do a clean layout version.

Posted September 15, 2009 link

It's 2-1/4 x 2-1/4 inch (57x57mm). I have Eagle and all the equipment to make photofab boards, though I haven't made any in a long time. With a PC board I could go smaller, though I guess there's not much point in going smaller than the battery pack.

This soldered prototype is just so I can test it for a while and see if I want to make changes. Running a breadboard for weeks around the espresso machine was sure to end badly, so a soldered version was a must for long term testing. I may experiment with smaller battery types and ultra-low power PICs, etc... A low power PIC on two AAA cells is no problem, but the 7-seg displays may be too power hungry (numeral 8 consumes 175ma). On the other hand, they only have to run in 60 second bursts. The sleeping 18F1320 PIC consumes something like 0.1 microamp - almost nothing.

EDIT: Hmm... Now I'm thinking of making a PC board and building an all-surface-mount one. I see Digikey has low profile SMT 7-seg displays too. SMT is so perfect for homemade PC boards. Much less drilling - you basically drill only for via's and the odd connector. Makes homemade double-side boards so much easier to do. I've done double-side boards with thru-hole components - takes a lot of planning and it's still VERY difficult. Without that thru-hole plating you have to solder both sides on many of the holes. Makes it tough...
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Tue Sep 15, 2009, 9:35pm

"Joe", even to my less than masterful eye your gig is way cool.
Suggestion:
Why not use your given name? This site is a friendly place without a whole lot of spam, and what is there quickly gets disposed of.
I'm a new Moderator, but I'm so impressed by the security around here, even after 7+ years.
Just a thought. Cheers.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
futz
futz

Posted Tue Sep 15, 2009, 9:43pm

IMAWriter Said:

Why not use your given name?

Old habits die hard. I never use my real name online (or when installing an OS on a computer, or in emails) unless it's absolutely necessary.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Tue Sep 15, 2009, 9:55pm

futz Said:

Old habits die hard. I never use my real name online (or when installing an OS on a computer, or in emails) unless it's absolutely necessary.

S'OK.
Glad you're aboard.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
ungshunjin

Espresso: La Marzocco Linea Classic
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Posted Sat Mar 15, 2014, 11:15pm

hi Joe,
How is the prototype going?
Could you guide me on making one of this?
I want a timer for my Linea.

Thanks in advance.

Jin
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Mar 17, 2014, 6:38am

The OP has not logged on in over a year and a half, it is doubtful that he will ever reply, that is a problem with digging up very old threads (this thread is nearly 5 years old), very often the starter of the thread was here only for a short time to ask a question and they are gone.

There are many timers on the market, you need not make your own. All this one did is count seconds. That is a job that a clock on the wall can do for a lot less effort. I have a clock with a second hand in the kitchen, next to my coffee bar. All I do is wait until the second hand is on a number, which number does not matter, say it is the 4, then add 25 seconds to that and you  get that the shot should end at the 9 mark, twenty seconds (4) and twenty five seconds are forty five seconds or the 9 number on the clock.

If that is too much math, there are lots of timers on the market on line for a few dollars. I am going to do a review of the Hario scale/timer unit soon, it both weighs the shot and has a built in timer to use too. It is designed for pour over service but it works just fine for espresso too but it is a bit pricy if all you are looking for is a timer.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Espresso Shot...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.325418949127)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+