Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Another Gaggia Preheat / Pressure Mod
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Another Gaggia...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
seedlings
seedlings
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Nuova Simonelli Premier V
Grinder: Rossi RR45
Vac Pot: Cory DCU / DCL Rubberless
Drip: Newco Air Pot
Roaster: CoffeeAir II
Posted Thu Oct 23, 2008, 6:37am
Subject: Another Gaggia Preheat / Pressure Mod

Note: There is no new thinking in these modifications.  I read about them in other threads.  This is just how it turned out on my machine.

The Gaggia Espresso espresso machine has 2 strikes against it.  First, the inlet to the boiler is right next to the grouphead, so shots err from bitter to sour all things being equal.  The incoming cold water mixes with the hot water at the base of the boiler as soon as brewing starts, so the brew will often start too hot and cool 10 degrees pretty quick.  (I've not measured on my machine, just going on what I've read in other threads.  Stupid me, I jumped right in without baselining everything first.)  1/4" copper pipe was installed from the pump and wound around the boiler several times to preheat the water before it goes into the boiler.  Hopefully this will dramatically stabilize the brew temperature.

Second, the vibe pump puts out up to 15 bar of pressure while only 9 is required for a good shot.  I've found myself grinding finer and tamping harder, only to have the coffee gush through too quickly.  I've previously cleaned the over pressure valve (OPV) and now it is operational.  The plan is monitor the pump pressure with a gauge installed between the pump and the preheat tubing.  This isn't the ideal place for a gauge, but it will still give a good idea of the brew pressure.

-------------------------------- --------------------------------

-Disconnect power

-Label the electronics to the switches

-Remove steam wand

-Unscrew

-Remove guts

-Remove tubing from pump to boiler

-Winding copper tubng.  Here I only used the 5 feet of tubing I had on hand.  I think that will hold about an ounce of water, but I just didn't want to buy any more tubing.

-Tighten up the tubing

-With fittings

-With fittings 2

-Back in the machine

-Use plastic wrap

-To make a blind portafilter

-Pressure with pump on.  9 bar is 130 PSI, and this is bouncing between 140-150PSI, so that's good.  Now the OPV can be adjusted to set the pressure.

-Short video of pressure gauge with pump running.

Now to find a way to neatly mount the gauge in the front of the machine, then see how the shots go!

CHAD

P.S. is there a way to make the actual pictures show in the thread, instead of linking to each one?

seedlings: fittings1.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
Dink0617

Espresso: Astra Pro, Sama Export, La...
Grinder: Ascaso I-Mini, Rossi RR45,...
Vac Pot: Silex
Drip: Krups FME-4, Chemex
Roaster: Hearthware Precision, Gene...
Posted Thu Oct 23, 2008, 8:22am
Subject: Re: Another Gaggia Preheat / Pressure Mod

Hi CHAD,
I did the same mod on a Proteo Romanza/Gaggia Coffee and it certainly did increase the shot stability and shortened the cycling time.  Regarding the OPV, AFAIK the valve at the pump is set at 11 bar and is not adjustable, it is really a safety valve.  If you want to install an adjustable OPV you need one of these Click Here (www.shop.partsguru.com) but your video shows a pressure of 150 psi which is 10.34 bar so not too far off.  If your pf has removable spouts mount your gauge on it and measure the pressure at the group.  If you are not already a member check out http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Gaggia/ for lots of information on mods for your Gaggia.

Cheers,
David
seedlings
seedlings

Posted Thu Oct 23, 2008, 11:45am

Dink0617 Said:

Hi CHAD,
I did the same mod on a Proteo Romanza/Gaggia Coffee and it certainly did increase the shot stability and shortened the cycling time.  Regarding the OPV, AFAIK the valve at the pump is set at 11 bar and is not adjustable, it is really a safety valve.  If you want to install an adjustable OPV you need one of these Click Here (www.shop.partsguru.com) but your video shows a pressure of 150 psi which is 10.34 bar so not too far off.  If your pf has removable spouts mount your gauge on it and measure the pressure at the group.  If you are not already a member check out http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Gaggia/ for lots of information on mods for your Gaggia.

Cheers,
David

Posted October 23, 2008 link

Yes, I have your thread favorited along with the home-barista thread with the custom aluminum pre-boiler.  Initially I just wanted to check the pressure, but after seeing your thread, I figured the preheat tube would be an easy addition since I had some tubing laying around (copper is expensive!).  I wanted to use all 10 feet, like you did, but... we'll see.

You say the OPV is not adjustable?  Do you mean that loosening or tightening the screw (that presses against a spring, compressing a little ball) won't change the ~11 bar pressure?  I find that I can change the pressure.  It's not a fine-tune control, but a general control.  I could up the pressure by 3 bar if I want, or lower it a little more too.

The one in the picture is not the one from my machine, but mine works identically.  I had to take it apart and lubricate it so that it worked.

Thanks for the invite at the Gaggia group.  I just joined!

CHAD

seedlings: opv.JPG
(Click for larger image)
seedlings
seedlings

Posted Fri Oct 24, 2008, 9:47am

Here's what it looks like installed.  135 PSI = 9.3 bar.

CHAD

seedlings: Gaggia Pressure Gauge.JPG
(Click for larger image)
jason_casale
jason_casale
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale S2
Grinder: Cimbali Max
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: Techno Vorm
Roaster: 3 Kilo Drum Roaster.
Posted Fri Oct 24, 2008, 11:40pm

Hey what size copper tube did you use to do this?
How did you get the fittings on the tubing.
The only reason I ask is because this could probably be done to a silvia making it more stable.
I have a silvia with a PID
Thanks jason

http://thecoffeeenthusiast.tumblr.com/
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
seedlings
seedlings

Posted Sun Oct 26, 2008, 5:02pm

jason_casale Said:

Hey what size copper tube did you use to do this?
How did you get the fittings on the tubing.
The only reason I ask is because this could probably be done to a silvia making it more stable.
I have a silvia with a PID
Thanks jason

Posted October 24, 2008 link

Hey, Jason.  The tubing is 1/4" copper.  The fittings are universal, brass, and designed for either 1/4" copper or plastic tubing.  You can pick them up at any hardware store, Home Depot or Lowes.

It is a very tight squeeze to attach the fittings without leaks.  You need to "double wrench" the fittings tight.  That means use one wrench on the base of the fitting and the other wrench to tighten the compression nut.  Leverage the wrenches together to tighten/loosen.  Tricky.

CHAD
sportychop

Espresso: Brewtus II, Gaggia Classic,...
Grinder: Super Jolly, Nuova Simonelli...
Posted Wed Dec 24, 2008, 1:21pm

Ok, I would love to post this anonymously but the forum will not allow for that. Please help out a poor stupid jerk that tried to do this with a brand new Classic and wound up with a 500.00 fountain. My wife deserves an award for not killing me. In hind sight it was pretty naive to think I could or should tackle this as my first ever plumbing project.
I am not doing the gauge, just the preheating tubing. I got the copper tubing wrapped around pretty good but was not able to get it as tight as yours looks. The fittings and tubing I purchased look the same. I used a tubing cutter, but when I got everything put together I had great difficulty getting the fittings over the tube ends. I even broke a couple of the fittings because they got stuck on the tube and I had to try to pry them off. I was not able to get them to seal, on either the plastic side or the copper side, even under no load, no matter how tight I made them. I was afraid I would strip them if I went any. Maybe I deformed the tubing too much to allow for a seal, I'm not sure. Maybe I did not get it straight enough and the joints. Any thoughts or advice you can offer would be great. I still want to do this but I am now obviously reluctant to try again. Did you have issues with leaks that you had to tighten up?
On a side note, I was smart enough to assume my project would be successful, so I cut the original plastic tube. I have put everything back together and used refrigerator ice maker tubing to replace the original line. It seems fine for a day or so but then tiny fractures form at the boiler base. I read a few threads and it seems I should be looking for Teflon tubing anyone know a source for this? I looked at many of the common online parts places but all I could find was vinyl tubing, the melty stuff.    

Please keep the laughing and jeers to yourself, I'm still feeling a little self concious. really any help would be appreciated.
gime2much

Espresso: La Pavoni, Astoria comm, 2...
Grinder: La Pavoni Zip, Bunn...
Drip: Bunn comm
Roaster: Popcorn popper (air),co/ufo
Posted Wed Dec 24, 2008, 2:33pm

sportychop Said:

Please keep the laughing and jeers to yourself, I'm still feeling a little self concious. really any help would be appreciated.

Posted December 24, 2008 link

Quit kicking yourself buddy...most of us have been there.

Go over to Yahoo>>>>Groups>>>>Gaggia.  Join up, relax it won't hurt a bit, there you will find links to suppliers that have all the parts you need.
And several posts on the type repairs you are dealing with.

Dan Brewer
sweaner
sweaner

Espresso: Vetrano, Arrarex Caravel, La...
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, OE Pharos
Drip: Bunn Trifecta MB
Roaster: Poppery II
Posted Wed Dec 24, 2008, 7:47pm

I give you credit for tackling this project.  However, I wouldn't have done it on a new machine, as you may have been perfectly happy with it stock.  Maybe the steam wand mod.

Scott

-Scott
“Coffee - the favorite drink of the civilized world.”
Thomas Jefferson
JWFokker

Espresso: Gaggia Baby
Grinder: Capresso Infinity
Drip: Aerobie Aeropress
Posted Wed Jan 14, 2009, 3:04pm

sportychop Said:

I read a few threads and it seems I should be looking for Teflon tubing anyone know a source for this? I looked at many of the common online parts places but all I could find was vinyl tubing, the melty stuff.    

Posted December 24, 2008 link

http://www.mcmaster.com/ McMaster-Carr has a wide variety of food grade tubing available.

I don't know exactly what size you need, but here's a link to 1/4" ID high temp FDA approved Teflon tubing that is rated to 250 psi. Click Here (www.mcmaster.com)
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Another Gaggia...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.320797920227)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+