Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Help OPV Grimac MIA
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Help OPV Grimac...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Lifestar
Lifestar
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Grimac Mia
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Rocky, KAP
Drip: FP, TV, Aerobie
Roaster: HotTop P, I-Roast2
Posted Mon Dec 24, 2007, 8:41am
Subject: Help OPV Grimac MIA

I am looking to adjust down the pressure on my OPV valve on my GRIMAC MIA.  Doing a cheep portafilter pressure check it is topping out over 11 BAR (Where my gauge ends.)  the next two posts will show what appears to be a brass block with lots of tubes in and  out of it that appears to contain my OPV.  Problem is I have no idea how to adjust it.  I am wondering if I could add a secondary OPV right off the vibe pump that I could set lower.  Being an HX machine this would also be in-line for the boiler fill as well but I imagine that that could be a problem.  Anyone with thoughts on either how to adjust what I have or on adding the second OPV?  (Any water drops in the picture is the result of my removing the tank not any leakage)

The OPV flow tube is the top tube on the right.

Lifestar: boiler MIA.jpg
(Click for larger image)

Robert Kolm
Howell, MI
 View Profile Link to this post
Lifestar
Lifestar

Posted Mon Dec 24, 2007, 8:43am
Subject: Re: Help OPV Grimac MIA

Closeup of the block

Thanks for the help and Merry Christmas everyone.

Lifestar: opv.jpg
(Click for larger image)

Robert Kolm
Howell, MI
kitt2000
kitt2000

Espresso: Lambro,
Grinder: Mazzer SJ
Roaster: Gene cafe
Posted Wed Dec 26, 2007, 4:23am

Hi, i've got the older model grimac mini or la-uno, it has exactly the same block!! I wasn't sure if it was the opv at first, but after adjusting it , i'm sure it is.It made a big difference to the shots.I was getting quite under-extracted shots before the adjustment.The larger brass nut under the tube that returns to the tank is the one you want to turn in a anti-clockwise direction to lower the pressure.I turned mine about an sixth of a full turn.
There are figures somewhere on this site to check approximate water amounts the opv should be returning to the tank under a blind shot.I think it's around 50-55mls in 30 sec's, but i'm not sure-depends on the pump model also.
make sure to check for leaks after adjustment-mine was fine, but can't hurt to check.
Hope this all helps
Lifestar
Lifestar

Posted Wed Dec 26, 2007, 6:46am

Super thank you.  I rigged up a portafiler pressure gauge so I can test while I am adjusting.  Thanks for the help.

Robert Kolm
Howell, MI
Lifestar
Lifestar

Posted Thu Dec 27, 2007, 8:49am

Needed to add a O ring to keep it from leaking but its now at 9 BAR.  After several nice shots however my boiler dropped pressure and will not heat.  I can't see how it is related just my dang luck.  Going to move the machine from the bar to the shop to either fix it or prep it for shipping to a repair shop.

Robert Kolm
Howell, MI
Salty

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Jul 18, 2013, 7:23am

Hi, I know this was a long time ago but is there any chance that you can send me more close up pics of the wiring.  I have one that has been messed with so I need to know that everything is plugged in to where it should go.  The switch on the pressure valve, the attached wires to the Gicar unit.  Basically anything that will help me to trace things to where they should be.  Many thanks
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Jul 18, 2013, 9:59am

It has been about 6 months since he logged in, you might try giving his public email account a try.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Help OPV Grimac...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.226372003555)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+