Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Going for the PID kit for Sylvia from Jim Gallt...Please confirm this is wise!
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Going for the...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Fri Apr 27, 2007, 10:47am
Subject: Re:Going for the PID kit for Sylvia from Jim Gallt..Please confirm this is wise!

Everyone hears what they wanna here...

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
inkstar
inkstar

Espresso: My Sweet Girl - Silvia
Grinder: KA Proline - modified
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Pour over, Apress
Roaster: rk drum, hot air
Posted Fri Apr 27, 2007, 11:16am
Subject: Going for the PID kit for Sylvia from Jim Gallt

Please, no ambiguous condescending remarks, that's not what we're about here.   Back to your actual question Douglas, yes indeed you and everyone should PID Silvia or whatever machine they have and you will not be throwing your money away.  You'll be pleased.  Good luck as always and keep us posted.
 View Profile Link to this post
Tex
Tex
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Bunn ES-1A (PID'd), Gaggia...
Grinder: Rancilio MD50
Vac Pot: Way too many vintage Silex...
Drip: Melitta Clarity
Roaster: TurboCrazy &...
Posted Fri Apr 27, 2007, 11:25am
Subject: Re: Going for the PID kit for Sylvia from Jim Gallt...Please confirm this is wis

Beavis Said:

I need confirmation that this is a good idea and much improves Sylvias performance. The Model SD3 seems to be the one I'm gravitating towards. Please board, tell me this is $240 well spent and that I'm not throwing my $$$ away.
I get decent shots from Sylvia and really good ones when I focus and am not in a hurry. I figure stable temp should help me the most as that seems to be the most unstable portion of the equation with Sylvia.
Help! Please chime in. Thanks!!

Posted April 25, 2007 link

$240 is a lot of money & when you add it to the cost of your Silvia I'm not sure if you're getting enough value for the money. The Silvia is a great espresso machine, and Jim's PID kits seem to outperform similar products. It's just that at some point you need to ask yourself if the PID'd Silvia is where you plan on drawing the line.

If there's even the slightest chance you'll want to upgrade to a prosumer single/double boiler or HX equipped machine at some point in the future, then why bother with a PID now?

On the other hand, if you're dead-certain that the Silvia is the last machine you'll ever own then installing a PID is the best thing you could do. It's the only way I'd ever have a Silvia again & Jim's PID kit is the only one I'd ever consider using.

Tex
--
http://www.tinyurl.com/mb4uj - My coffee pages.

http://www.tinyurl.com/2tnv87 - My 'Guidelines For Newbies' page.

http://www.tinyurl.com/2cr3e2 - I sell things for friends & neighbors here. Can I list something for you?

http://www.tinyurl.com/235dfr - BUG is Bunn User's Group (espresso)
JGG
JGG
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: PID Silvia; PID Alexia
Grinder: Mazzer SJ
Roaster: Hottop D w/HTC+TC4C
Posted Fri Apr 27, 2007, 11:31am
Subject: Re: Going for the PID kit for Sylvia from Jim Gallt...Please confirm this is wis

CraigA Said:

Jim's tested the Auberin controller throughly, & doesn't recommend them do to having membrane push buttons that crack over time & the temp stability & overshoot, maximum operating environmental temp for the controller isn't as high, etc.

Posted April 27, 2007 link

Craig -

Thanks so much for your support.  Every business needs 100 customers like you!

But I'd like to clarify my comments to you about the Auber Instruments controllers.  It is true that I evaluated a couple of different Auber models and eventually decided not to offer them with our kits.  The (subjective) feel of the membrane buttons, the ambient temp ratings, the programming interface, and control stability were all factors in that decision.

But I may have failed to tell you that the technical support from Suyi at Auber was outstanding, and that after spending some time becoming familiar with the different programming interfaces, I did ultimately get acceptable control performance.

Eventually, though, we decided to go a different route and stick primarily with the controllers in the Watlow line.   Our assessment of the market for our kits suggested this would be a better overall fit.  The Watlow controllers are built and operate very differently from Auber's controllers, but there is a significant difference in cost that comes along with those differences.

So, my apologies if my comments to Craig seem harsh regarding the Auber controllers.  I didn't mean it to sound that way.  I know many people (whose opinions I respect) have been successful using Suyi's controllers to PID their machines.  We just made a business decision to offer a different controller.

We're also very happy to share information, and war stories, with the many folks who decide they are better off doing the PID thing without using a complete kit.  There is more than one path to getting better shots from Silvia.

Jim
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA

Posted Fri Apr 27, 2007, 11:36am
Subject: Re: Going for the PID kit for Sylvia from Jim Gallt

inkstar Said:

Please, no ambiguous condescending remarks, that's not what we're about here.

Yes, I know that Curt., I know "what we're about here".. I've been here since before day one, no offense meant or implied., I have an exemplary record here.

View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
inkstar
inkstar

Posted Fri Apr 27, 2007, 11:36am
Subject: Going for the PID kit for Sylvia from Jim Gallt...Please confirm this is wise!

Jim
Put a process timer in that package and you might take over the world my friend!  How do you feel about RTD's compared to Thermo's?
JGG
JGG
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: PID Silvia; PID Alexia
Grinder: Mazzer SJ
Roaster: Hottop D w/HTC+TC4C
Posted Fri Apr 27, 2007, 11:46am
Subject: Thermocouple vs RTD

inkstar Said:

How do you feel about RTD's compared to Thermo's?

Mostly, I feel ignorant :-)

Actually, I did look into this briefly.  The slower response time seemed like a problem, so I didn't go too far with it.  Plus, with a reasonably well calibrated controller, the SLE t/c gives very accurate temps.

But I'm always willing to be educated.

Jim
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
inkstar
inkstar

Posted Fri Apr 27, 2007, 11:47am
Subject: Going for the PID kit for Sylvia from Jim Gallt...Please confirm this is wise!

Oh, Craig, why why why must you be so condescending.  Yes I see you have senority, that's great, I'm glad for you.  Now let me ask you, I apologize for getting off subject, but how do you feel about RTD's compared to Thermo's?
CraigA
CraigA

Posted Fri Apr 27, 2007, 11:53am
Subject: Re:Going for the PID kit for Sylvia from Jim Gallt..Please confirm this is wise!

inkstar Said:

Oh, Craig, why why why must you be so condescending.

Oh pleessee!?

Yes I see you have senority, that's great, I'm glad for you.

Senority or the frequency & # of posts doesn't mean squat.

I haven't used, studied or know anything about RTD's Click Here (www.google.com)

inkstar
inkstar

Posted Fri Apr 27, 2007, 11:56am

i might respect it if you weren't being a jerk
showing page 2 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Going for the...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.337254047394)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+