Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Lever Espresso Machines
Help - Unheard of Problem !!!
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > Help - Unheard...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Tue Mar 25, 2014, 11:38am
Subject: Re: Help - Unheard of Problem !!!

SpaceTime Said:

Hey, if we both are off base, I am sure someone will jump into supplement... all in the name of trying to get the OP quality help!!

Posted March 25, 2014 link

Yep. I may email "drgary" over at HB, and see if he has time to check in here.
He owns and has modded both pre and post Millennium La Pavs.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
SpaceTime

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: 83 & 89 Cremina, 85 Coffex
Grinder: HG One, Pharos, LIDO
Drip: Freiling 33 & 44oz FP,...
Posted Tue Mar 25, 2014, 11:44am

Calling in the A Team never hurts...
 View Profile Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Tue Mar 25, 2014, 1:55pm

Gary Seeman (aka "drgary") is busy moving presently, but sent the following to me, and asked me to post.
All most of what has been discussed:
"All I can think of is:
- check seals
- lube evenly and not too much
- clean dispersion screen
- clean filter basket
- WDT
- tamp evenly
- give enough time to fully infuse coffee cake

It's a piston that is going straight down, so it should be pretty even unless gravitational forces tend to shift around his house.

Back to work."

Gary
------------------------
Well, there ya go!

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
Buckley

Posted Tue Mar 25, 2014, 1:56pm

Well...as so often is the case:
the OP, Darko in this case, has not gotten back to us.
Any further posts without him might just be flapping our keyboards.
BUT, for the record, if you remove the top acorn nut and move its companion locking nut to the top of the piston rod you can remove the lever cross rod and push the piston rod all the way down until the remaining locknut touches the group head and the dispersion screen will be popped out of the bottom along with the gasket without injury in a matter of 2-3 minutes, total.  In this way the piston will not fall out, that is, if you want to clean the screen and have not reason to want to dislosdge the piston.
Reversing the steps starts with pushing the piston up from the bottom enough to fit the screen and gasket (remembering that the gasket has a proper top and bottom) into place and reversing the rest of the procedure.
B
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Tue Mar 25, 2014, 2:03pm

Buckley Said:

BUT, for the record, if you remove the top acorn nut and move its companion locking nut to the top of the piston rod you can remove the lever cross rod and push the piston rod all the way down until the remaining locknut touches the group head and the dispersion screen will be popped out of the bottom along with the gasket without injury in a matter of 2-3 minutes, total.  In this way the piston will not fall out, that is, if you want to clean the screen and have not reason to want to dislosdge the piston.
Reversing the steps starts with pushing the piston up from the bottom enough to fit the screen and gasket (remembering that the gasket has a proper top and bottom) into place and reversing the rest of the procedure.
B

Ah, all comes back to me now.

Lets hope Darko is reading.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
Darko13

Posted Tue Mar 25, 2014, 2:11pm

Hello
I am most definitely reading just had a busy day. Had a quick fiddle and without me and my partners morning brew as the tester I am gonna concur and go with the screen. Basket is soaking as we speak .............

Again thanks

An update will follow
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Tue Mar 25, 2014, 2:17pm

Great Darko. Let us know.
When the guy serviced the machine, I assume there are new piston seals properly lubed?
RJ

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
SpaceTime

Posted Tue Mar 25, 2014, 2:31pm

Buckley Said:

B

Ahhh, what seems so easy to some of us who love to tinker and rebuild things can be daunting to others... there are many that just don't want to get into the business of taking the machine or group apart.   Can't speak for the OP.... like anything, different strokes...

Personally, I think nothing of popping the group off, disassembling... it has become second nature.  There is also the aspect of scratches, etc - many will break out the crescent wrench, and why we have so many used Creminas floating around with tool marks all over the bolts, and nicks in the stainless.  Using levers is already a limited audience, taking apart separates this pioneering crowd even further... just a fact of life!

Great advice though... OP - are you a tinkerer and not averse to taking apart your group?  Maybe a skill you want to develop if you keep the machine... but please, get the correct size wrenches and don't use a crescent!  LOL
SpaceTime

Posted Tue Mar 25, 2014, 3:06pm

Darko13 Said:

Hello
I am most definitely reading just had a busy day. Had a quick fiddle and without me and my partners morning brew as the tester I am gonna concur and go with the screen. Basket is soaking as we speak .............

Again thanks

An update will follow

By basket - are your referring to the portafilter basket?  (which would not be the screen we are referring to).
grogstah

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: La Pavoni Pre-Mil, La...
Posted Wed Mar 26, 2014, 8:11am

If it seems that there is less water coming into the group than before, and your group was recently serviced, it could be as simple as your piston coming unscrewed and blocking the water inlet slightly.  This happened to me, and not only was I getting very little water in the group all of the sudden, but the dispersion screen would not stay on.  It's a simple fix - while the machine is cool, remove the dispersion screen and with the lever all the way down, turn the piston CCW (machine in 'normal' positon, not inverted).  I was able to turn mine about 1-1/2 rotations back in, and problem solved!
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > Help - Unheard...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.286623954773)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+