Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Lever Espresso Machines
What Model is this?
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > What Model is...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Randawg

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Baratza maestro
Posted Thu Mar 13, 2014, 12:16pm
Subject: What Model is this?

Got this from a friend who said they could not get it to work.  What model is this?  I want to clean it and see what is happening.  Any help would be appreciated.

Randawg: compressed.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
GVDub

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Mar 13, 2014, 12:41pm
Subject: Re: What Model is this?

Randawg Said:

Got this from a friend who said they could not get it to work.  What model is this?  I want to clean it and see what is happening.  Any help would be appreciated.

Posted March 13, 2014 link

Looks like a La Pavoni Professional, I think. EPC-16?
SpaceTime

Espresso: 83 & 89 Cremina, 85 Coffex
Grinder: HG One, Pharos, LIDO
Drip: Freiling 33 & 44oz FP,...
Posted Thu Mar 13, 2014, 12:44pm

La Pavoni Professional 16 - in Gold Plated Brass.

SCG La Pavoni  Watch the video too...
Randawg

Posted Thu Mar 13, 2014, 12:59pm

Seriously!  That is like a $1500 machine.  Time to learn and get rid of the silvia!
SpaceTime

Posted Thu Mar 13, 2014, 1:43pm

Well, maybe SCG has it priced there - but I would characterize it as a $1000 machine (aka the Professional 16) with a Gold coating!! LOL.  And that coating can flake / wear off if you are not overly careful - and even still it has been known to flake off the boiler due to heating over time.

You are paying a premium for the bling factor on the Gold Plated... still a great machine.  

Pavoni's are good machines - shots on par with the Cremina if you get your technique down, though the Cremina might have an edge in build quality, and a slight edge in forgiveness and temperature stability.

Manual levers are not for everyone and will take a little learning curve - but with the Cremina's and Pavoni's, sties like this and Home Barista are your friend, as is You Tube.  Cremina and Pavoni have been around so long that there is exhaustive amounts of information out there on technique, etc.  But hang onto the Silvia for a little longer till you find out if you are a lever geek... heck even if you aren't you are prolly going to want to upgrade the Silvia anyway! ;-)

But make sure you pair it up with a good grinder - what do you have in that department?  THe Pavoni will frustrate the heck out of you if you pair it with a bad grinder.

Welcome to the World of Levers!  There are a lot of savvy veterans on the site that can help you on your journey - I am still semi-new to levers, but a fast learner and I absolutely LOVE the Cremina - it makes one heck of a coffee!
Randawg

Posted Thu Mar 13, 2014, 1:56pm

The boiler is copper and the other parts are gold plated but i did notice what you had mentioned about the gold because under the drip tray there a a fleck that has peeled.  Regardless this thing is gorgeous to look at (my wife tells me I am not right) I have a baratza vario grinder.   Do you know what size tamper I need?  The cheap plasitic one that was with it broke.  I am also assuming to pulll a double you have to operate the lever two times.

Tonight will be a late night trying to learn :)
SpaceTime

Posted Thu Mar 13, 2014, 2:16pm

Should be 51mm.  Read this for one post:   LP 16 Tamper

Vario - you should be good to go... definitely good enough grind quality there for the LP IMHO.

Good tampers on the cheap, read what one fellow CG'er did:

Tamper base with cheap $3 handle

He bought the base here:

High quality base on Ebay

I am preparing to buy this base for my Cremina (on Ebay) and add a cheap handle.  (only because I missed the 49.4mm Reg Barber on the Buy / Sell site here).

I also own a Concept Art Tamper (1st line website) - another under $40 option that is well made.  You might want a 51.5mm for perfection, but a 51mm will get you buy for sure.

Finally, heirloom quality - look at Reg Barber tampers... nice.  Right now, on the Buy / Sell forum here on CG - Rob Jason is selling a 51mm Reg Barber base for $25.  Then, you could use the cheap handle option I mentioned above.  Great deal on a $43 base.

EDIT:  Double pull - aka "Fellini" move - you will get lots of opinions on that.  Some prefer grinding to accommodate a single stroke, others swear by Fellini, but it is "religion" and there is no right or wrong answer.  Levers give you the luxury of finding out what works best, there is no one right way, and depends on the bean, what you are trying to accomplish, etc.  Personally, I use the Fellini - up all the way for ten seconds, down gently until you get the first drip (aka pre infusion of the puck completed), then back up and down again for a full pull.  If your grind is too fine, the second down stroke will result in choking the machine but you still can finagle the shot out but good lever technique.  Grind a little coarser, try again.  You get in a rhythm over time.

Advice - spend tonight READING, searching, watching videos - try tomorrow.  Trying to fast without a good idea of what your technique is MIGHT be a frustrating experience - but everyone is different and consumes information / learning differently.
johnboddie

Espresso: MCAL, Brasilia Mini Classic,...
Grinder: Rossi RR45a,Rocky,...
Drip: Cuisinart (non-grinding)
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Mar 13, 2014, 5:21pm

Your friend said he (she?) could not get it to work.

What was the problem?

The good news is that no matter what it was/is, you can probably fix it yourself.
russel
russel
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: 73' Cremina, '74 Club,...
Grinder: Super Caimanos x2, Forte BG,...
Drip: V60, Kalita Wave, Clever,...
Posted Thu Mar 13, 2014, 10:07pm

SpaceTime Said:

Should be 51mm.  Read this for one post:   LP 16 Tamper

Vario - you should be good to go... definitely good enough grind quality there for the LP IMHO.

Good tampers on the cheap, read what one fellow CG'er did:

Tamper base with cheap $3 handle

He bought the base here:

High quality base on Ebay

I am preparing to buy this base for my Cremina (on Ebay) and add a cheap handle.  (only because I missed the 49.4mm Reg Barber on the Buy / Sell site here).

I also own a Concept Art Tamper (1st line website) - another under $40 option that is well made.  You might want a 51.5mm for perfection, but a 51mm will get you buy for sure.

Finally, heirloom quality - look at Reg Barber tampers... nice.  Right now, on the Buy / Sell forum here on CG - Rob Jason is selling a 51mm Reg Barber base for $25.  Then, you could use the cheap handle option I mentioned above.  Great deal on a $43 base.

EDIT:  Double pull - aka "Fellini" move - you will get lots of opinions on that.  Some prefer grinding to accommodate a single stroke, others swear by Fellini, but it is "religion" and there is no right or wrong answer.  Levers give you the luxury of finding out what works best, there is no one right way, and depends on the bean, what you are trying to accomplish, etc.  Personally, I use the Fellini - up all the way for ten seconds, down gently until you get the first drip (aka pre infusion of the puck completed), then back up and down again for a full pull.  If your grind is too fine, the second down stroke will result in choking the machine but you still can finagle the shot out but good lever technique.  Grind a little coarser, try again.  You get in a rhythm over time.

Advice - spend tonight READING, searching, watching videos - try tomorrow.  Trying to fast without a good idea of what your technique is MIGHT be a frustrating experience - but everyone is different and consumes information / learning differently.

Not to be too harsh, but you should make sure you know what you're talking about before sending someone off to buy things.  That's a pre-millenium 49mm group, so those 51mm tampers aren't going to fit.  

The best place to go to get a handle on controlling a La Pavoni is over at HB:  

Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

It's a long thread and it should be read to the end to get all of the updates on what worked and didn't.

Also: The boiler is brass with copper plating.  I've heard of the gold plated LP, but most of these are polished brass with a clear coat over it.  If you're lucky the base is brass as well, not just plated.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
SpaceTime

Posted Thu Mar 13, 2014, 11:25pm

russel Said:

Not to be too harsh, but you should make sure you know what you're talking about before sending someone off to buy things.  That's a pre-millenium 49mm group, so those 51mm tampers aren't going to fit.  

I defer to thou that knows it all, I missed that - I thought about the possibility of pre-millennium, but apparently dead wrong.  It is called a mistake ;-) some of use make them from time to time.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > What Model is...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.266263961792)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+