Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Lever Espresso Machines
What is this?
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > What is this?  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
jakeamcdermott

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Mar 11, 2014, 2:39am
Subject: What is this?

I bought a La Pavoni EPC-8 off craigslist for a friend of mine whom is out of state. The lady I bought it from didn't really know what she had, had never used it, and bought it off a neighbor.

I have a post-millenium 51mm edition...this new machine is something of a pre/post hybrid...it has the 49mm grouphead, but the millenium workings.

One weird little issue

The portafilter has what looks to be a single shot screen in it....I've never seen something like this. The machine was spotless except for this one little headscratcher.

Is this just a result of someone pushing a basket too far, or is there a use for this, and this is just how those portafilters are? I can see scratch marks from where this might have been pushed in. Time to break out the dremel? Or was someone doing an odd modification?

I'm confused. :)

jakeamcdermott: 2014-03-10.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
johnboddie

Espresso: MCAL, Brasilia Mini Classic,...
Grinder: Rossi RR45a,Rocky,...
Drip: Cuisinart (non-grinding)
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Mar 11, 2014, 11:15am
Subject: Re: What is this?

It looks like a basket that was designed to handle pods. I've seen a number of these and the shape of the basket is about halfway between a double and a single.
jakeamcdermott

Posted Tue Mar 11, 2014, 1:45pm

Someone on reddit r/coffee nailed it. It's a shower screen. In fact, you can see that the middle of it had holes blocked off in a square pattern. I'm trying to crank it out now, but I fear it's so crusted in there that nothing short of a dremel will do...
SeekingGodShots

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Tue Mar 11, 2014, 8:35pm

Whoa!  Drop some olive oil along the inside of the portafilter wall and the edge of the shower screen.  Remove the spout by unscrewing it and use a dowel to gently punch it back out.  A rubber gasket might be sandwiched between the screen and the interior of the portafilter.  Once the oil is saturated around the edge, put some hot water around and and give it a push.  Should come out nice and clean.  No need to damage the shower screen.

La Pavoni Europicola
Rocky Doserless
Barber Tampers
Technivorm Moccamaster
Hario Kettle & V60
jakeamcdermott

Posted Tue Mar 11, 2014, 9:35pm

I will try that. I've been leaving it alone for the guy whose machine this is to deal with it, but that would be pretty easy.

I can't unscrew the spout, it seems to be seized up, but I'll give it another shot.
jakeamcdermott

Posted Tue Mar 11, 2014, 10:22pm

Success. Had to wrap a towel around the nozzle and muscle it...no vice in the house. :(

I tried being gentle. But it was so far in there that there were gouges in the metal of the portafilter. Yikes. So after some..ahem...gentle coercing...it's out. Definitely a shower screen. The damage to the screen was pretty minimal, and it might even be usable as a spare. Certainly nice and rotten coffee underneath...yum!

jakeamcdermott: IMAG0294.jpg
(Click for larger image)
Buckley

Posted Wed Mar 12, 2014, 4:41am

jakeamcdermott Said:

Success. Had to wrap a towel around the nozzle and muscle it...no vice in the house.

Posted March 11, 2014 link

Glad to hear it.  No vise, either, I take it. ;)
B
jakeamcdermott

Posted Wed Mar 12, 2014, 12:17pm

Buckley Said:

Glad to hear it.  No vise, either, I take it. ;)
B

Posted March 12, 2014 link

HAW! Yeah, there are plenty of "Vices" in this house, but not one "vise" to be found. ;)
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > What is this?  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.232058048248)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+