Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Lever Espresso Machines
Spring Lever & Manual Grinders | Recommendations
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > Spring Lever &...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 5 of 5 first page previous page
Author Messages
coffeegrindin
coffeegrindin
Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sat Mar 8, 2014, 7:36pm
Subject: Re: Spring Lever & Manual Grinders | Recommendations

Hey guys!

Didn't mean for this thread to turn into such a debate column but I've learned a lot and couldn't be happier with my purchases! OE, you guys produce an excellent product that grinds an excellent bean!

I purchased a La Pavoni Romantica on ebay and wasn't able to produce an appropriate shot until my Pharos arrived. I did the OE recommend calibrations and the grind was actually too fine for my portafilter...I was impressed and tuned it back around 3/4 turns and havent been disappointed since.

Take a look at our Instagram thread (#HOMESPRESSOADVENTURE) and check out our awesome homemade cappuccinos my gf and I have been producing. PLEASE feel free to hashtag #HOMESPRESSOADVENTURE on your own Home espressos and show off your excellent work!

Having a blast and I thank you for your help.
 View Profile Link to this post
Cammie

Expertise: I love coffee
Posted Sun Mar 9, 2014, 7:32pm

Excellent choice for both the machine and the grinder. Congratulations!!!
Angman
Angman
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Strega, MCal, Cimbali M20L
Grinder: HG One 83mm, Breville Smart,...
Vac Pot: Nope
Drip: Bunn Trifecta, Woodneck,...
Roaster: Hottop 8828P
Posted Mon Apr 14, 2014, 12:58pm

you can buy a simple group temp sticker strip. Orphan espresso sells them and I bought one for my Elektra Mcal.  I don't really know how accurate this is as I don't really use it and its more of a decorative machine.  

As for hand grinders, yes the Pharos is the best value and also an excellent hand grinder on paper. However, I must say that it isn't for everyone as its not necessarily easy to use.  I modded mine with all the Voodoodaddy mods (google it) and still hated it.  Theres probably a reason why so many come up for sale (although they sell fast as well).  

I do have an HG One now and I love it.  It is a fantastic hand grinder and to be honest not much slower compared to a top of the line electrics (after you factor in bumping, brushing and clearing of chute if you single dose).  Also there is something to love about hand grinding.  THe smell of the beans and the quietness is wonderful.  

I pulled two shots on my new Bezzera Strega today and it was also a wonderful experience.  I haven't dialed it in yet as the shots were a bit sour but probably because I was anxious and didn't let it get up to temp yet.  I can see myself using this machine daily though compared to my Elektra where it just sits pretty.  I am loving the feel, presentation, simplicity, quietness and quality of shot so far.

Good luck
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Tue Apr 15, 2014, 3:03pm

coffeegrindin Said:

After reading all of these posts I'm very surprised OE gets such praise. Do they offer any feedback on these issues or alter their product to better suit their customers complaints? If not OE, then who makes a decent hand Grinder for espresso?? 1st-line.com has a bunch of old school looking ones that are definitely cheaper... But how do they compare?

Posted February 12, 2014 link

OE gets it's DESERVED praise as not only innovators, but in their recent past was THE place to go for service on manual and spring levers, whether they performed the work there, or DIY by using their incredible videos and photos they have on their website. Their contributions (usually for free) are uber generous, amazing, and just plain considerate. Those posted guides allowed me to service my Olympia Cremina, thus increasing my pleasure of ownership many times.

At one time they provided many of us with our first really great manual grinders. These were VINTAGE wood grinders Doug painstakingly went through, rebuilt or refurbished. Some were espresso only, others drip/press only. I own 2. Both cost just $75, a steal, considering the auction cost of the grinder, and Doug and Barb's labor.

As regards CS, NO they're not Baratza, as it's Doug and Barb...period.
But try and call some of the boutique shops whose owners work alone (shops which will for now remain unnamed) and I guarantee you'll not get immediate response.
However, Doug is a frequent poster here and on Home Barista, so he's not invisible.

IMO, their contributions cannot be over-estimated.
I'll wager there are hundreds or more that would agree with my comments.

Edit...changed "won" to OWN!

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Prof
Prof
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: PV Lusso
Grinder: Pharos 696
Drip: Aeropress
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Tue Apr 15, 2014, 3:55pm

IMAWriter Said:

OE gets it's DESERVED praise as not only innovators, but in their recent past was THE place to go for service on manual and spring levers, whether they performed the work there, or DIY by using their incredible videos and photos they have on their website. Their contributions (usually for free) are uber generous, amazing, and just plain considerate. Those posted guides allowed me to service my Olympia Cremina, thus increasing my pleasure of ownership many times.

At one time they provided many of us with our first really great manual grinders. These were VINTAGE wood grinders Doug painstakingly went through, rebuilt or refurbished. Some were espresso only, others drip/press only. I won 2. Both cost just $75, a steal, considering the auction cost of the grinder, and Doug and Barb's labor.

But try and call some of the boutique shops whose owners work alone (shops which will for now remain unnamed) and I guarantee you'll not get immediate response.
However, Doug is a frequent poster here and on Home Barista, so he's not invisible.

Posted April 15, 2014 link

+1

LMWDP # 010
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Tue Apr 15, 2014, 4:05pm

I, of course meant I OWN 2, not "Won" 2. LOL

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
SpaceTime

Espresso: 83 & 89 Cremina, 85 Coffex
Grinder: HG One, Pharos, LIDO
Drip: Freiling 33 & 44oz FP,...
Posted Tue Apr 15, 2014, 7:01pm

IMAWriter Said:

At one time they provided many of us with our first really great manual grinders. These were VINTAGE wood grinders Doug painstakingly went through, rebuilt or refurbished. Some were espresso only, others drip/press only. I own 2. Both cost just $75, a steal, considering the auction cost of the grinder, and Doug and Barb's labor.

Edit...changed "won" to OWN!

In the bigger picture, truer words have never been spoken.  What OE.(aka Doug and Barb) have done for coffee lovers is duly noted.  

Some will still analyze, criticize, wish certain things were better at times, but it comes with the territory and what makes the world go 'round.

There is an old saying "pioneers at times can take some arrows...." But it does not detract from the fact they are still pioneers.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Tue Apr 15, 2014, 7:51pm

SpaceTime Said:

In the bigger picture, truer words have never been spoken.  What OE.(aka Doug and Barb) have done for coffee lovers is duly noted.  

Some will still analyze, criticize, wish certain things were better at times, but it comes with the territory and what makes the world go 'round.

There is an old saying "pioneers at times can take some arrows...." But it does not detract from the fact they are still pioneers.

+1.
Back on topic, as to manual grinders, I would think, for the price, it would be very hard to beat the Lido1 or now 2. So much online support as well.
I love my old KyM manual, conical burr I purchased from OE. 2 of them actually.

Spring levers? Seems like machines like the Pontevecchio/Sama Lusso for the larger home machine, along with the exquisite looking MCAL.
Smaller Pontevecchio/Sama Export, or the 1/2 dozen machines like a Riviera, Peppina. Depends on whether steam is needed.
I'm sure this has all been covered.

FWIW, for $700 more than a new Lusso, the Strega would be the best bet, by far from a cost to performance standpoint. YMMV.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
coffeegrindin
coffeegrindin
Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Wed Apr 16, 2014, 7:32am

I have had wonderful experiences with the OE crew. I ordered the Pharos and had to change the shipping address and it was done with ease and satisfaction. I've been utilizing their videos for maintenance on my La Pavoni Romantica and purchased a few additional items from their webstore that have really help brew some tasty espresso. I'm definitely hooked and have a great time with it! Thank you all for your awesome feedback and suggestions! Now that I'm getting into steaming and latte art a little bit does anyone have any experience with the single hole steam wand mod for the Pavoni? I'm sure this questions is probably for another blog but figured i'd ask real quick. Here's some picts my gf's been taking while using my set up http://pinsta.me/tag/homespressoadventure (she worked as a barista for 5 years so she's kind of cheating).

thanks again,

-g
SpaceTime

Espresso: 83 & 89 Cremina, 85 Coffex
Grinder: HG One, Pharos, LIDO
Drip: Freiling 33 & 44oz FP,...
Posted Wed Apr 16, 2014, 3:57pm

coffeegrindin Said:

I have had wonderful experiences with the OE crew. I ordered the Pharos and had to change the shipping address and it was done with ease and satisfaction. I've been utilizing their videos for maintenance on my La Pavoni Romantica and purchased a few additional items from their webstore that have really help brew some tasty espresso. I'm definitely hooked and have a great time with it! Thank you all for your awesome feedback and suggestions! Now that I'm getting into steaming and latte art a little bit does anyone have any experience with the single hole steam wand mod for the Pavoni? I'm sure this questions is probably for another blog but figured i'd ask real quick. Here's some picts my gf's been taking while using my set up http://pinsta.me/tag/homespressoadventure (she worked as a barista for 5 years so she's kind of cheating).

thanks again,

-g

Posted April 16, 2014 link

At the end of the day, this is what counts.  Good on you... and glad you are enjoying good coffee!

Being a manual lever owner who prefers manual grinders, and one who also is enjoying outstanding coffee - you go!!!  

Cheers.
showing page 5 of 5 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > Spring Lever &...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Jebana from Ethiopia
Ultra Low Tech, for the CoffeeGeek with everything. Beautiful, and Functional too.
www.coffeeproject.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.308425188065)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+