Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Lever Espresso Machines
Kickstarter Lever - Salvatore Espresso Systems, Inc.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > Kickstarter...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
hankua
hankua
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Salvatore One Black
Grinder: Major, Rossi, Tanzenia,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, CCD
Roaster: Feima 800n
Posted Mon Feb 10, 2014, 7:09am
Subject: Re: Kickstarter Lever - Salvatore Espresso Systems, Inc.

Not quite sure what equipment he needs, a bigger lathe? The Londinum 1 has a 2.3L boiler, Salvatore's standard size is 2L. He can orient boilers horizontal or vertical without any trouble. Salvatore bends his frames out of angle iron in house, and machines all the other parts. There are plenty of big commercial lever machines on the market but very few small ones. Probably the lever group pricing is driving cost, just guessing.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
victoriacoffees
victoriacoffees
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Izzo Pompei
Grinder: Compak K8 Fresh; Mythos...
Roaster: Ambex 15K; Hottop
Posted Mon Feb 10, 2014, 6:21pm

In his video, I thought I heard him say it would either have a 4 or 5ltr boiler, similar to the QM Achille and Pompei.

There is just something cool about owning an item made by a skilled craftsman. I don't own one of his machines but worked on one for a friend, well built. However, if his lever were to make it into production, I think one would find its way into my shop.

-John
www.victoriacoffees.com
hankua
hankua
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Salvatore One Black
Grinder: Major, Rossi, Tanzenia,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, CCD
Roaster: Feima 800n
Posted Tue Feb 11, 2014, 7:19am

I'm assuming for commercial purposes lever machines are available, just on a custom basis. His hand hammered copper shells are unique, almost bought a used one awhile back. When Salvatore retired/quits that will probably be the end of the line.
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Tue Feb 11, 2014, 8:42am

Of the more than a few I've seen and of the few I've used, for their price, Salvatore's HX machines are fairly low feature (e.g., no standard vac breaker!) but extremely high build quality.  Junior and Faema meet Oscar.    

How their $3800 lever competes with the L1, I don't know.  Since the Salvatore has a 2KW element, a pump, and a 6.5L boiler, my guess is they don't compete at all.  Horses for courses.  Knowing Salvatore he was aware of the competition when he priced his machine.  

From the description and pictures, I think Salvatore had something Cremina-like in mind with the Kickstarter project.  Too bad about the financing, the world could have used some made in the Santa Ynez Valley, $1700 Creminas.

We go to Solvang frequently, were just there a few weeks ago, and thought about dropping by Salvatore's to see what's new.  But we're so not in the market for any new equipment it didn't seem fair to bother them.  Maybe in a few months, we'll stick our noses in the door if they have any of the little levers around.    

BDL
Bogiesan

Espresso: Salvatore Famosa c.2000
Grinder: Rancilio M40
Posted Thu Feb 13, 2014, 12:35pm

boar_d_laze Said:

Of the more than a few I've seen and of the few I've used, for their price, Salvatore's HX machines are fairly low feature (e.g., no standard vac breaker!) but extremely high build quality.  Junior and Faema meet Oscar.    
How their $3800 lever competes with the L1, I don't know.  Since the Salvatore has a 2KW element, a pump, and a 6.5L boiler, my guess is they don't compete at all.  Horses for courses.  Knowing Salvatore he was aware of the competition when he priced his machine.  
From the description and pictures, I think Salvatore had something Cremina-like in mind with the Kickstarter project.  Too bad about the financing, the world could have used some made in the Santa Ynez Valley, $1700 Creminas.
We go to Solvang frequently, were just there a few weeks ago, and thought about dropping by Salvatore's to see what's new.  But we're so not in the market for any new equipment it didn't seem fair to bother them.  Maybe in a few months, we'll stick our noses in the door if they have any of the little levers around.    
BDL

Posted February 11, 2014 link

The Cremina is a direct lever, yes? You yank down on the sucker to pull your shot? Not sure how you could have seen a Cremina clone in the kickstarter project but maybe I'm the guy looking at it completely wrong. Seemed like an old school colossus to me, a lever-assisted, load-up-the-spring, release for extraction system using the exact same head as on the Londinium. Looking deep on the interwebs a few months ago, I saw only one significant source for old school spring lever heads from Italy.

Going to Solvang? Cool. I think if you called ahead, Wendy would be glad to show you around. Say hello from Bogie in Boise.

I play go. I use Macintosh,. Of course I ride a recumbent.
 View Profile Link to this post
CHenry

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Olympia Express Maximatic
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Electronic Type...
Vac Pot: none
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: none
Posted Thu Feb 13, 2014, 12:51pm

I think the difference between the Cremina and this spring lever machine is that the Salvatore is a heat exchanger system and not a single -boiler design. I am guessing the boiler is auto-fill from the reservoir or water line. The machine is offered as either a reservoir or plumbed-in model, the reservoir at a higher price (he quotes a sale price at the same as a Cremina, new.)

The Londonium I seems to have similar features, with smaller capacity and a more compact footprint, and the cabinet work isn't as nicely done, but it looks like a nice machine as well, especially for the price.
Bogiesan

Espresso: Salvatore Famosa c.2000
Grinder: Rancilio M40
Posted Fri Feb 14, 2014, 12:42pm

All of these questions were easily answered by calling Wendy.

I play go. I use Macintosh,. Of course I ride a recumbent.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > Kickstarter...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.224590063095)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+