Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Lever Espresso Machines
Kickstarter Lever - Salvatore Espresso Systems, Inc.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > Kickstarter...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
jmaeng

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Baratza Vario-W
Drip: Aeropress, Clever, French...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Jan 22, 2014, 11:32am
Subject: Kickstarter Lever - Salvatore Espresso Systems, Inc.

I was just scanning through Kickstarter and found this project for a E61 or spring lever espresso machine. Is anyone familiar with this? Is it considered a good deal for what it's providing?

Click Here (www.kickstarter.com)
 View Profile Link to this post
wsfarrell

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Thu Jan 23, 2014, 12:39am
Subject: Re: Kickstarter Lever - Salvatore Espresso Systems, Inc.

Great find. The $1,660 (delivered) machine looks like a potential winner.
z0mbie
z0mbie
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Thu Jan 23, 2014, 12:53am

He doesn't go into detail...

But he does seem well established and I believe the risk is very very low..  It reminds me of the GS/3 except with a spring lever group without the fancy electronics.  Huge boiler.. The thing will be a tank and I'm sure the build will be superior to any mass-produced product.
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Clive Coffee Drip Stand
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Thu Jan 23, 2014, 4:27am

Salvatore's been around for a while; so his rep is pretty solid. He was selling high end home machines back when your only choices were a Silvia, an Elektra, a La Pavoni lever, or a Pasquini Livia 90. And nothing else... except for Salvatore's hand built machines (he'd order bits from Italy, and finish the build in California.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
dana_leighton
dana_leighton

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Thu Jan 23, 2014, 5:18am

wsfarrell Said:

Great find. The $1,660 (delivered) machine looks like a potential winner.

Posted January 23, 2014 link

Note that the $1660 reward machine is not the new lever he is producing, but seems to be one of his existing E61 machines this one. Notice that the verbiage for that level says:

Pledge $1,660 or more
A stunning classic lever espresso machine as seen in photo Accessories: steam pitcher, tamper, portafilter, cleaning kit Hand signed and numbered Domestic shipping included, HI AK extra

Limited (14 of 15 remaining)

Estimated delivery: Jun 2014

Still a good deal for that machine.

But the verbiage for the $3600 and $4100 are labeled "The new magnificent/stunning Spring Lever" (emphasis mine) with delivery Oct 2014. Note there are two smaller photos for the "Reward" machine and grinder. Also notice the verbiage from the page says:

Most all the rewards of our Kickstarter we currently offer to customers so fulfilling them and in a timely manner will be business as usual for us. The grinder and machine rewards offered take production time but we make these in the regular course of business.

Seems like Salvatore has some 'splainin to make. The use of "lever" as in E61 lever group is confusing I think.

Dana Leighton - Espresso hack and CoffeeGeek moderator
Skylar

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: lelit espresso
Grinder: lelit grinder
Vac Pot: B. D. Electric
Drip: chemex
Roaster: wok roast and popper, heat...
Posted Thu Jan 23, 2014, 7:00am

The picture shows one of his e61 machines presumably with lever controller. The price of $1660 is MUCH less than his site price for the same machine which is listed as $2300. If someone is interested in one of his machines I think it is well worth a phone call. I would, but I make only an occasional espresso, and despite a lust for shiny objects it doesn't economically justify itself for me.

Sky
johnboddie

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: MCAL, Brasilia Mini Classic,...
Grinder: Rossi RR45a,Rocky,...
Drip: Cuisinart (non-grinding)
Posted Thu Jan 23, 2014, 10:28am

$3600 represents a substantial premium over a Londinium 1 and I'm having some trouble in identifying the features of the Salvatore that would justify that premium.
GVDub

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Posted Thu Jan 23, 2014, 10:54am

johnboddie Said:

$3600 represents a substantial premium over a Londinium 1 and I'm having some trouble in identifying the features of the Salvatore that would justify that premium.

Posted January 23, 2014 link

You're paying a premium for what's essentially a completely handcrafted machine out of a very small shop. Plus, the aesthetics of the Salvatore come at a premium. The L-1, glorious as it is, is a little bauhaus (form follow function) for some tastes. Salvatore's machine is more prettied up, and some people will pay a premium for that.
victoriacoffees
victoriacoffees
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Izzo Pompei
Grinder: Compak K8 Fresh; Mythos...
Roaster: Ambex 15K; Hottop
Posted Thu Jan 23, 2014, 12:43pm

About a year ago a customer was having trouble with his Salvatore so he asked me to look at it. I've never seen one before and so was excited to have it in the shop. The build was solid and workmanship was fantastic. You could very much appreciate the "hand-built" qualities of his machine.

The pump required replacement and all was good.

-John
www.victoriacoffees.com
Bogiesan

Espresso: Salvatore Famosa c.2000
Grinder: Rancilio M40
Posted Sun Feb 9, 2014, 6:08pm

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/752368609/handcrafted-spring-lever-espresso-machine

Update, Sunday, February 09, 2014:

Unfortunately, the Salvatore Lever Espresso Machine project does not seem to have a chance to succeed. The company needs another US$40,000 and must raise it in just three days. This would have been a wonderful contribution to the microverse of handmade culinary machinery, subset espresso machines, sub-subset non-pump machines, sub-sub-subset old school lever-operated monsters.

This is a total bummer but it's also predictable: too much required capital, too few wealthy fans (who need superb espresso machines), targeting a micro-niche of an already tiny niche, and not enough fabulous promotion to get the snowball rolling and gathering economic momentum.

I just bought a new E61 from Salvatore so I don't need another machine. But, if the funding drive had advanced well enough, I'd have gladly given them the chump-change backer's amount.  

Standing in front of one of Salvatore's machines is fun; it just radiates coolness. Opening one up reveals precision, elegance, patience and attention that you can perceive. This guy wants your machine not only to work and to last but to maintain its tangible value over its life—the entire time you own it and use it. You will always be glad you bought it. Maybe you can say that about other single-boiler, HX systems, I do not know. I've got a Salvatore so I really don't care. End of conversation for me.

I play go. I use Macintosh,. Of course I ride a recumbent.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > Kickstarter...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.251893043518)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+