Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Lever Espresso Machines
New Olympia Cremina - am **I** crazy?!
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > New Olympia...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
SpaceTime

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: 83 & 89 Cremina, 85 Coffex
Grinder: HG One, Pharos, LIDO
Drip: Freiling 33 & 44oz FP,...
Posted Fri Dec 20, 2013, 7:48am
Subject: Re: New Olympia Cremina - am **I** crazy?!

CHenry Said:

I don't fault your wish for a new machine. If you buy one, you will know it is the most evolved design of the Cremina, will be made with the stainless boiler, will have a gauge, a choice of colors, the newest finish (powdercoat) newest cabinet design and of course a warranty.

(I have the latest Maximatic, FWIW.)

Posted December 19, 2013 link

I always thought a stainless boiler was not as desirable than a copper / brass boiler?  Don't stainless boilers corrorde more readily, and don't they leach out and cause more after taste??

And the Maximatic - you have the Olympia latest version for $4K?  I have eyed that one up too and it looks cool!

I was always confused on the differences between a Maximatic and the Pasquini Livietta - is the Pasquini a knock off that is made overly cheap?  Must be - the Pasquini retails for $800 and the Maximatic is $4k.  LOL
 View Profile Link to this post
SpaceTime

Posted Sat Dec 28, 2013, 2:20pm

Thanks all for your inputs - but at this point, I have *officially* decided that purchasing a NEW Olympia Cremina WOULD be crazy!

Get this - when I told my wife I was thinking about spending $3600 on a new Cremina, her response was... you guessed it...wait for it....... "Are you crazy??!!"  Lol.

Seriously (although that really was her first response), you could buy TWO Quickmill Anitas for the same price and STILL have enough room left over for a Vario or K3 grinder... ...or you could  just purchase eight (8) Varios!

Consider you could also get a La Spaz Mini Vivaldi, a K10 Pro Barista Grinder, and with discounts from CCS, still have room left over to accessorize!

OR you could almost buy two Stregas (with an extra $400), and finally, you could get an L1 shipped to you, pay customs, duty and STILL have $800 toward a nice grinder!

What about the Cremina justifies that price tag?  Sure they are beefy, well made - but it is really just a boiler, a group and some high quality stainless / chrome in the end... there are a lot of machines that have a whole lot more for a whole lot less!

I think the Creminas are cool, well made, would still LOVE to have a new one - and if I had money to burn I would not think twice... but after further review.....

I WOULD be crazy to spend $3600 on a new one!

Cheers to all!
z0mbie
z0mbie
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Sat Dec 28, 2013, 8:16pm

Okay so a new Cremina is out of the running. Are you going to get a used one instead?  Or are you now steering closer to the other side of the road for a pump machine instead?

I like machines with particularly large boilers capable of powerful steam power.  Maybe LSVII or LSDream.

Nice things certainly have their price so whatever you choose it will be ”crazy” to someone else or a bargain..  Everyone has different standards for value.

If this is a true love I suggest you get what you want and not let price dictate your desires...so long as it doesn't leave you in financial ruin!

For instance the HG One is to 99.9‰ of the people I know just an exponentially over priced hand coffe  grinder.  But I bought it with the belief that it's a bargain and didn't blink on my decision to buy it. After having owned it for a few months I'd pay $2000 for it without a problem.    Buy it, enjoy it, never look back.  My take on it is that life is to short to fuss about disposable income that you already have.  And arguments like 'I can buy two of these for the price of that' really is counterproductive because two of 'those' will never really equal one of 'these'... :).
flathead1

Espresso: Anita, La Pavoni pro, 67...
Grinder: Macap M4, Lelit 53, Solis...
Drip: Bodium Press
Roaster: I-Roast1, Behmor, RK Drum
Posted Sat Dec 28, 2013, 10:50pm

WRT the Maximatic. Olympia made the Maximatic, Coffex and Cafferex under their badge and the Livietta for Pasquini. They are the same machine except with different badges. Maybe someone can provide the years that Olympia made the machines for Pasquini. Over on Home Barista Dan Kehn did a Second Look - Review of a new Maximatic if you are interested.
sanzrob

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Sun Dec 29, 2013, 2:31pm

The old Coffex, Pasquini Livietta and Maximatic are indeed the same machine...  all built built by Olympia in Switzerland with the same internal parts. However, depending on the year of production they can feature a 49mm or 53mm portafilter. The Carrafex is actually a different machine... it continues to be a heat exchanger, but has a larger boiler. The current Maximatic (built after year 2000) internally functions practically the same as the old model, but (hard to believe!) has an even more robust construction. For example, the current model has a stainless steel boiler instead of brass, a stainless steel reservoir instead of plastic, and brew pressure gauge to mention only a few of the improvement.

The current Pasquini Livietta is in no way related to the Olympia built machine. In fact the current Pasquini company claims to have no relationship with the old company, except for the name.
russel
russel
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Conti Princess 2grp, GS/3...
Grinder: Super Caimanos x2, Forte BG,...
Drip: V60, Kalita Wave, Clever,...
Posted Mon Dec 30, 2013, 11:59am

sanzrob Said:

The old Coffex, Pasquini Livietta and Maximatic are indeed the same machine...  all built built by Olympia in Switzerland with the same internal parts. However, depending on the year of production they can feature a 49mm or 53mm portafilter. The Carrafex is actually a different machine... it continues to be a heat exchanger, but has a larger boiler. The current Maximatic (built after year 2000) internally functions practically the same as the old model, but (hard to believe!) has an even more robust construction. For example, the current model has a stainless steel boiler instead of brass, a stainless steel reservoir instead of plastic, and brew pressure gauge to mention only a few of the improvement.

The current Pasquini Livietta is in no way related to the Olympia built machine. In fact the current Pasquini company claims to have no relationship with the old company, except for the name.

Posted December 29, 2013 link

Olympia Express sold the Maximatic.  It was rebranded as the Livietta for Pasquini in LA, with some minor and not so minor differences such as the group size.  It was rebranded as the Coffex for Zabars in NYC, similar to the La Pavoni Carina.   The Caffarex was an HX similar to a Maximatic, but it included a pump/reservoir boiler fill.  My understanding is that the old Olympia Express in Morbio was acquired (by whom I can't remember of the top my of head) and moved.  With the acquisition and move a lot of the old company was left behind.  The current Maximatic is to the old ones as the current Cremina is to the old ones...in construction and price.

The current Livietta T2 has nothing to do with the Maximatic or Olympia Express.  I'm not sure what the deal is with the new/old Pasquini stuff...the last time I was there I had a really roasty espresso with the original Mr. Pasquini and discussed the history of the Livia 90...so there's more than a name there.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
SpaceTime

Posted Fri Jan 10, 2014, 2:07pm

Thanks again all for the inputs!  

To wrap up the thread correctly before it drifts off into the archives --- I was able to find a 1989 Cremina in unused condition, as is being discussed in the "Feelings about Cremina" thread.  (in case you are reading this months from today and want to know the outcome).  That thread is here – http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/leverespresso/652190  good discussion about Cremina, price points, over / underpaying, etc.

In summary, I paid $1800 for a "new old stocK" 1989 Cremina I found locally compared to $3600 for a new one.  The 1989 is a beautiful machine – literally stored away new since 1989.  Since the old ones can work every bit as good as the new ones, the fact I found a "new" old one was more than I could ask for!!  FOR MY NEEDS that was a better route... for those that can afford new at $3600, you could probably make a strong argument that it is a better machine, and you would probably be right.  But for me, it was not worth almost twice the cash outlay.  In both threads, the benefits of the newer machines have been spelled out, and again, it depends on your budget, wants, needs, tastes and it could be argued all day long…

I am still waiting to take delivery of the 1989 Cremina… will share my thoughts when I get some time on the machine.

Just wanted to make sure I ended this thread with the proper wrap-up and outcome… I would love to own a new Cremina, but was not willing to pay the new premium to do so.  You might decide differently… but before you spend someone elses money – did you buy a new or used one? ;-)
cerinicoffee
cerinicoffee
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Silvia, Magic Comfort +,...
Grinder: Rocky, Gaggia MDF
Posted Sat Mar 1, 2014, 4:41pm

SpaceTime Said:

Title says it all, I actually even called Cerini's yesterday to talk with them... but the person who had the details on the Cremina was not in... (thank goodness).

I have been looking on Ebay for a used Cremina for some time, but never pulled the trigger as I was always worried about the unknown.  I am very handy, have a very nice shop (wood) and mechanically inclined - so it is not the prospect of rebuilding that scares me.  It is more the time, and the fear of spending $500 to a $1000 and getting a machine that needs way more put into it due to misuse that is not obvious on the surface (like a damaged boiler, etc).

One thing I have noticed in my brief time on the hunt for a used Cremina, I have not really seen a semi-recent used one for sale.  Maybe that says something - but  why is that?  I cannot recall seeing any past early 90's.

Anyway, I am sure there some here that know more about these than I will ever... if you would be so kind to share with someone who wants to learn, it would be much appreciated!!! :-)

Am I crazy for even thinking of paying up for a new Cremina?

Posted December 18, 2013 link

I'm sorry that I was not able to take your call. LOL    If anyone else is interested in a New Cremina please contact us at Sales@CeriniCoffee.com.

We are also here to help if you need OEM parts for your older and new Cremina's, Maximatics, Coffex, or Club's.
Olympia Parts & Service Link

Sales, Parts & Service for Espresso Machines
Saeco, Gaggia, Rancilio, Spidem
www.CeriniCoffee.com
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
SpaceTime

Posted Sat Mar 1, 2014, 5:03pm

cerinicoffee Said:

I'm sorry that I was not able to take your call. LOL    If anyone else is interested in a New Cremina please contact us at Sales@CeriniCoffee.com.

We are also here to help if you need OEM parts for your older and new Cremina's, Maximatics, Coffex, or Club's.
Olympia Parts & Service Link

Posted March 1, 2014 link

It all worked out in the end - I actually bought a used Cremina, rebuilt it and LOVE it.  It is my first lever, and I am hooked on Cremina.  What a well built, forgiving, simplistic, functional machine.

Maybe you can help me in the future though... that is, if you are there to receive the call next time!  LOL

The day may come where I want to sample what I am missing with a new one!

PS - to follow up on the last reply I made above - the machine I purchased ended up being no where near $1800 - I found an issue with it and the seller knocked off a SUBSTANTIAL amount.  I don't even want to document what I got the machine for - nobody would believe it!  It is working wonderfully after a rebuild (it needed it).
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > New Olympia...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.292219877243)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+