Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Lever Espresso Machines
Videos of the Cremina in action.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > Videos of the...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
SpaceTime

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: 83 & 89 Cremina, 85 Coffex
Grinder: HG One, Pharos, LIDO
Drip: Freiling 33 & 44oz FP,...
Posted Fri Jan 3, 2014, 9:01am
Subject: Re: Videos of the Cremina in action.

Weebit - couple more questions...

"Currently my shots are 17grams yielding about 1 oz of fluid .. This by definition, I believe that is a double ristretto."  --- is this what you pulled in the video?

"If I were to do singles, I would dose 8 grams and stop at 1 oz." --- still employing the "raise three times" technique, or modded by the fact you are not going to be pushing as much water through the puck?

"For a double, I'll dose 16grams and do a complete pull, which yields about 1.5oz."  --- By complete pull, meaning...?  All the way up, then slowly down without raising after preinfusion, etc?

PS - I know by having you detail out your technique, it may be opening it up for critique from others... so apologies in advance!!

EDIT:  One more thing - I want to get some things in advance of the Cremina - is the bottomless Penny filter a "must have" or something I could get by without for a while in your opinion.... don't approach it from a budget perspective, more about "if I had to do it over, here are the things I would get right away and just spend the cash."  You get it...

Then, I was thinking of picking up the OE dosing funnel, an OE 49.4mm tamper... and what else would you recommend?  I already have a Pharos that will get me by for a long while (I am thinking I "need" an HG One at some point).

Dang... I am highjacking another thread again... I should go find another video to post so I can at least pretend to stay on topic LOL.
 View Profile Link to this post
SpaceTime

Posted Fri Jan 3, 2014, 2:48pm

The video referred to earlier - single pull all the way through.

Son Ton Single Pull w/ Clothes Dryer
SpaceTime

Posted Fri Jan 3, 2014, 2:58pm

This one is interesting - if you actually go to Olympia-Cremina.com - and go to the Videos section, this is the Video they provide in the "How to" section of the site...

Cremina How To Video on the Olympia Site

When he put the portafilter in, I noticed he did not do the commensurate slight lever raise, and then when it was tightened, pulled up kinda quick on the handle... doesn't that risk passing air through the puck and doming and / or potentially fracturing?

Or am I just still clueless, and the beauty of it is that "anything" goes and everyone has their own "technique"?
z0mbie
z0mbie
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Fri Jan 3, 2014, 4:08pm

SpaceTime Said:

Or am I just still clueless, and the beauty of it is that "anything" goes and everyone has their own "technique"?

Posted January 3, 2014 link

Coffee is a very subjective hobby,  in all respects.   Equipment,  processes,  tastes, etc.  Use what works.

What someone swears by will change from person to person, and even time to time.  The fun is in the doing.  We can talk about it but until you actually get your hands dirty you'll never come up with your own "truths".   :)

You're not confused. Your just anxious.  Don't worry. In a few weeks you'll be giving people your own advice... In due time, my friend.

Now let's get back to posting more Cremina videos :)
farmroast
farmroast
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Strega,Cremina, MCAL...
Grinder: Majors, Dienes
Vac Pot: Hellem10
Drip: CCD, and more
Roaster: 1kg. DreamRoast
Posted Sat Jan 4, 2014, 9:43am

Most people come to the lever world from the button world. The relationship to the machine is quite different. You hit a button and the pump comes on or off.  You now have a machine with a variable pump and you are now the pump. Pretty much everything else temp. related is considered/understood the same as most machines.  Coffee/grind/dose knowledge is universal too. The renewed interest in the cremina had much to do with extraction concepts/innovations of profiling in high end commercial machines. For both traditional espresso as well as interests in light roast and SO. The way for the amateur/home geek community to play with these new concepts on a cheap budget was to revive old levers.

I say this only to convey that the most important way to consider a new cremina is as merely a new tool. And the great thing is it's rather simple to figure out just takes practice to then use effectively. You can take it all apart to get into the mindset and learn simply how the water travels as you(now pump) do your thing. What is happening as you bring the lever up and when the set pressured water starts to flow in, when you hold it at the top, and for how much time, when you give it a couple short pressure building pumps,  varying the amount of air to water ratio,when you pull with various strength profiles. These just give different forms of pre-infusion and pressure profiling.

Ed Bourgeois... LMWDP #167
please visit my blog
http://coffee-roasting.blogspot.com/
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sat Jan 4, 2014, 6:20pm

SpaceTime Said:

Sure thing, thanks for clearing that up for me... and Ed.

Ed - your post was a little vague and not clear to me... but I am sure if you took issue with my response, you would let me know yourself.... no?  BTW, thanks for all your help on the "other" Cremina thread, much appreciated!

Cheers.

Posted January 2, 2014 link

"Jonesey", kudos for manning up, and also for not taking MY head off. LOL
Forum postings can often be misunderstood, so I was a bit "edgier" than I should have been.
Best of luck on your Cremina journey!

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
SpaceTime

Posted Sat Jan 4, 2014, 7:24pm

IMAWriter Said:

"Jonesey", kudos for manning up, and also for not taking MY head off. LOL
Forum postings can often be misunderstood, so I was a bit "edgier" than I should have been.
Best of luck on your Cremina journey!

Posted January 4, 2014 link

Rob - one thing I have learned over the years is to not take myself too seriously... plus I can get "edgy" every once in a while myself, so that is one of the reasons.  I like a healthy / constructive argument as much as the next guy, and when it is delivered in writing vs in person, the meaning can be misconstrued without the tone / body language to go with it.  After re-reading my post, I did not mean it to come across as pointed / harsh as it sounded...

Cheers, it is all good - the folks here are a great group - the lever board especially!  

PS - I am excited about getting the Cremina... nine days and counting... it may be some time after that before I am routinely enjoying shots, as I want to tear it down a little and replace the gaskets, give it a once over... etc.  Plus, work is kicking up again and I am going to be putting 12 to 16 hour days in for a while, so I may be scarce.
SpaceTime

Entertaining Cremina video

Somebody had video production skills - I thought it was entertaining.
SpaceTime

farmroast Said:

Most people come to the lever world from the button world. The relationship to the machine is quite different. You hit a button and the pump comes on or off.  You now have a machine with a variable pump and you are now the pump. Pretty much everything else temp. related is considered/understood the same as most machines.  Coffee/grind/dose knowledge is universal too. The renewed interest in the cremina had much to do with extraction concepts/innovations of profiling in high end commercial machines. For both traditional espresso as well as interests in light roast and SO. The way for the amateur/home geek community to play with these new concepts on a cheap budget was to revive old levers.

I say this only to convey that the most important way to consider a new cremina is as merely a new tool. And the great thing is it's rather simple to figure out just takes practice to then use effectively. You can take it all apart to get into the mindset and learn simply how the water travels as you(now pump) do your thing. What is happening as you bring the lever up and when the set pressured water starts to flow in, when you hold it at the top, and for how much time, when you give it a couple short pressure building pumps,  varying the amount of air to water ratio,when you pull with various strength profiles. These just give different forms of pre-infusion and pressure profiling.

Posted January 4, 2014 link

The push button approach is semi-robotic - when you hit the button, the pump will deliver the same pressure, for the same duration every time... and if the operator does not deliver the same mechanical dose, tamp, grind then the results start to become unsatisfactory.  Less room for creativity, harder to control the result and adjust real time - the aspect of "profiling" a shot is less controllable on a pump / semi auto machine, whereas a lever you can slow down, stop midstream and deliver more water / less pressure, etc, etc... there is an "art" to lever machines, whereas pump machines are more akin to a "science" IMHO.  

Some who master Hx machines appreciate them more than SBDU or DB machines because there is a little more skill and understanding to operating them... but at the end of the day on an HX machine the operator is responding to what the machine requires, whereas on a lever the machine is responding to what the operator requires... if that makes any sense.

I am starting to see it, and more importantly appreciate it.    I am becoming a convert even before I have owned my first lever machine.  The engineer in me appreciates a good semi-auto... but the woodworker and artist in me is appreciating the levers even more...
SpaceTime

Posted Sat Jan 4, 2014, 7:47pm

Came across this tonight reading over on Home Barista

Shot pull with Penney Bottomless - and resultant critique / discussion

Good discussion on what you might want to look for when using a bottomless portafilter, and how it can help one to determine if their grind / tamp needs some tweaking... I thought it was an interesting video and post!
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > Videos of the...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.295965909958)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+