Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Lever Espresso Machines
Feelings About Cremina?
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > Feelings About...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 6 of 6 first page previous page
Author Messages
SpaceTime

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: (2) Olympia Creminas - '83 &...
Grinder: Four hand grinders and two...
Drip: Freiling 33 & 44oz FP,...
Posted Thu Jan 2, 2014, 9:08am
Subject: Re: Feelings About C

weebit_nutty Said:

I use an online editor called PIXLR.    You can upload your picture or provide an image link (URL).  

Here are the steps:
Go to www.pixlr.com and select PIXLR Express.  Choose your file.
Select Adjustment icon, then Resize icon.  800 pixels is a good size for posts.
Click on the Save at the upper left.  Adjust the size to 75kb and save it to your local folder.

Posted January 2, 2014 link

Thanks!

I attempted to update the pics above - they look a little better when enlarged - the boiler is a good indicator - notice how there is no flaking,etc... that boiler looks NEW.

As you can see, the internals point to a machine that fit the description - virtually new old stock.
 View Profile Link to this post
SpaceTime

Posted Thu Jan 2, 2014, 7:56pm

First, thank you to the OP for allowing me to hijack the thread so graciously! ;-)

Second, it is final, heard from the seller a little while ago - I will be purchasing the Cremina detailed above for $1850.  I know, some will think I overpaid ;-( and perhaps I did.... but I did my best to make my case for it being a "new" machine... and the bottom line - I am happy with the choice!!

It will be ten days before I can take delivery - the seller is on an extended trip.  When I have it in my grubby mitts, I will share a couple more pics, and not just the boiler!!  

Finally, thank you all on the Lever Board for your detailed responses and help!!  And thanks again to the OP - in the spirit of "Feelings About Cremina" I am VERY excited about getting this in and trying it out.  Two weeks ago, I was dead set on getting a Mini Vivaldi as my next semi-auto, and spending about the same amount.  Now, I am ending up with a completely different animal, one that is lighter, more agile and a little prettier!!  I am very satisfied with this route - it is my first lever and the learning curve is a journey I am excited about embarking on.  And when I reach the destination, and feel like I am starting to get consistent shots on the Cremina, I just might add a second lever to the collection!  Levers are just.... cool!

I will end up with another semi-auto sooner or later, and it may still be the Mini VII - the next time I have company, or the fam-damily over I will recall why I wanted a DB again ;-) but until then, my foray into Levers has captured my attention - and brings a whole new dimension to making espresso!
RAS
RAS
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: PV Lusso, Cremina, Oly...
Grinder: OE Pharos
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Manual (funnel)
Roaster: Heat gun
Posted Wed Jan 8, 2014, 1:52pm

How are you holding out in your wait?! I'm sure this has got to be reminiscent to being a kid waiting for some cool gift you'd receive on your b-day or Christmas. Doing this now, as an adult?... yikes.

Looking forward to seeing pics and getting your impressions as you dial it in.

I'll still stick by my math regarding new old stock vs a new Cremina. At $1850, and for a machine of the condition it seems you're getting, this is a good buy. If, and when, machines of this condition (if there are anymore out there) start going for $2300-2500, then I think a new machine is a better "investment". Again, larger boiler, pressure gauge, relocated power switch, more elegant innards, and (the one improvement that I didn't remember before - and to me it looks to be a big one) the redesigned lever-to-brew-group interface. This latter improvement looks to all but eliminate the side-to-side slop in the lever that makes it easy to mar the beautiful chrome that the lever passes by during a stroke. I am super careful to keep my vintage Cremina lever's stroke straight up and down so as to not scrape up against the chrome. So far so good...

Bob
SpaceTime

Posted Wed Jan 8, 2014, 3:51pm

Waiting patiently (...tap, tap, tap) Lol.   But thanks for asking.... ;-)

And I am in 100% agreement with your math - broken calculator or not ;).... I am more than comfortable with the price ($1850) I committed to considering what I will be getting.

But seriously, I have been filling the time gap waiting for the new Cremina by doing some research / reading - and more fun - working on / pondering / over-analyzing some of my "shopping carts" on things I need.  Orphan Espresoo is STILL closed, but some of the things currently in my cart in anticipation:

Some items in my OE Shopping Cart:
- 49.4mm Tamper (OE classic version for $32 - resisting the Reg Barber tamper ;-) cuz I really don't NEED it..... right? lol),
- Dosing Funnel 49.4mm (regular, not tall - want both!)
- Portafilter Gasket, Full Rebuild kit (since I own the machine and it's 25 years old... might start without and see if needed for a while)
- Pin Lubricant (like his offering better than others)
- Temp Strips (Roadie, don't lecture LOL - but I think these will be a good feedback tool initially - don't think long term these are a must have, but for 4 bones I think I will tinker with them!

Things I already purchased in anticipation from Amazon:
- Dow 111 - why not?
- Citric Acid - needed more anyway
- Pressure Gauge - actually got two, and only because during my search, I found a cool / vintage oil filled Noshok "Made in Germany"  for only $7 on Fleabay that I just had to have: Noshok 2 Bar - Made in Germany;  and the second gauge is a Winters Grade A liquid filled  Winters 1.5% error Grade A Gauge  Some of the Omega's, etc, being recommended are Grade B for twice the price, so  I was not interested in those offerings.  Even the one Economy version on OE is an Omega Grade B for $25... to pricey for the quality IMHO.

On the Wish List - Really Want - But trying to use self control ;-):
- Penny Bottomless Portafilter - half of me thinks this is a must have for a learning tool to see how my technique for dose, grind, tamp, pressure, pull, etc are working out... you can learn so much about what is happening with the bottomless portafilter - it almost can be considered a great teaching tool due to the feedback it gives (see, I have done a little reading)
- Elektra Double baskets - because I read so much about them, especially from Rob J, on how they are a "must have" ;-)

I may not pull the trigger on some of my shopping list until I get the machine in, see how it is operating, practice a few sink shots, etc, etc... you get it.  But on the flipside, most everything above I could make a case would be a "need" at some point, so it is not too frivolous!  I like cool accessories! ;-)
weebit_nutty
weebit_nutty

Espresso: Cremina 67 Lever,  LCM HX
Grinder: HG One, Forte BG
Drip: Mellita #2 cone
Roaster: jiffy pop
Posted Fri Jan 10, 2014, 2:41am

SpaceTime,

You need to just bite the bullet and get the Richard Penny Bottomless Portafilter.  It's an essential learning tool.

As for the OR tamper. .. I have one and found out rather anemic.   The concept art pop art tampers are very satisfying to use and very inexpensive compared to the reg barber which is highly overrated.
SpaceTime

Posted Fri Jan 10, 2014, 6:19am

weebit_nutty Said:

You need to just bite the bullet and get the Richard Penny Bottomless Portafilter.  It's an essential learning tool.

As for the OR tamper. .. I have one and found out rather anemic.   The concept art pop art tampers are very satisfying to use and very inexpensive compared to the reg barber which is highly overrated.

Posted January 10, 2014 link

You are right about the Penny, came to that conclusion too...

Where do you recommend I purchase the Pop Art?  Also, looks like a 49mm flat is the ticket?  

One thing that attracted me to the OE was the 49.4mm size... but I bet the .4 does not make that much diff, eh?
weebit_nutty
weebit_nutty

Espresso: Cremina 67 Lever,  LCM HX
Grinder: HG One, Forte BG
Drip: Mellita #2 cone
Roaster: jiffy pop
Posted Sun Jan 12, 2014, 4:36am

The .4mm difference is nominal.  How it performs in your hand is more important.   My "third wave" shots use 30lb of pressure, so a heavy tamper provides consistent execution over a lighter tamper, however if you like the less fruity, more developed flavor of a finer grind, a lighter tamper will actually give you more consistency than a heavy tamper.   I've seen some very nice looking shots on the Cremina using very light pressure with the OE HLE Stainless Steel tamper and Penney's tampers.  

I picked up my Concept art tampers directly from the manufacturer in Germany... I don't recommend it, the shipping took 2 weeks with no ability to track the shipments.. (DHL sucks---they use different "tracking" system between US and Germany).    If you Google for it I'm sure you'll find closer vendors.   The concept-art tampers are excellent tampers with reasonable price point.
showing page 6 of 6 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > Feelings About...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.23050904274)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+