Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Lever Espresso Machines
Feelings About Cremina?
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > Feelings About...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 6 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
genecounts

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: LaSpaz, Olympia Cremina
Grinder: Zass, Baratza Vario,...
Vac Pot: Bodum
Roaster: Gene Cafe
Posted Tue Dec 31, 2013, 11:52am
Subject: Re: Feelings About Cremina?

Just perfect shots and one more point not mentioned:

Bought my La Spaz I as plumb-in and for groups that visit.  And for when I get lazy.

Bought my Cremina for its portability.  It goes everywhere with me when traveling by auto even when overnite camping in parks that have electric.  Makes a very compact package with handle unscrewed.

Paired with the large burrs in the OE Pharos the combo is fabulous.

This AM with 14.5g blend of Guatamala Gesha /Yemeni Sharasi that was roasted seven days ago on patio....mmmmmm
 View Profile Link to this post
SpaceTime

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: 83 & 89 Cremina, 85 Coffex
Grinder: HG One, Pharos, LIDO
Drip: Freiling 33 & 44oz FP,...
Posted Tue Dec 31, 2013, 12:05pm

genecounts Said:

Just perfect shots and one more point not mentioned:

Bought my La Spaz I as plumb-in and for groups that visit.  And for when I get lazy.

Bought my Cremina for its portability.  It goes everywhere with me when traveling by auto even when overnite camping in parks that have electric.  Makes a very compact package with handle unscrewed.

Paired with the large burrs in the OE Pharos the combo is fabulous.

This AM with 14.5g blend of Guatamala Gesha /Yemeni Sharasi that was roasted seven days ago on patio....mmmmmm

Posted December 31, 2013 link

What are you following me around??  (actually, you already own yours, so I must be following you!)

That is too funny - I own a Pharos, been talking with CCS about a Mini VII, and the other machine I am buying is a Cremina.

PLUS, I have an RV, do a lot of camping, and you nailed it - I am also buying the Cremina for portability!!  AND in the kitchen, the Cremina will fit nicer having a smaller footprint, etc.  I can get a Vivaldi later...  problem with the Vivaldi is it would actually go in my shop and not the kitchen - too big.  That is OK, the shop is two doors from the kitchen (converted garage) and it will have a spot right next to the wine chiller - plenty of room!!

Anyway, thanks for sharing - great minds think alike I guess!  ;-)
farmroast
farmroast
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Strega,Cremina, MCAL...
Grinder: Majors, Dienes
Vac Pot: Hellem10
Drip: CCD, and more
Roaster: 1kg. DreamRoast
Posted Tue Dec 31, 2013, 4:32pm

SpaceTime Said:

Yes, I said that in the last post before yours!!  (are you reading my long winded rants?  LOL)

Thanks for your opinions so far, it is helping kick this around in my dome.

By the way, this one has original manual, original receipt, all the packaging, accessories still in plastic also... it is similar to the ones on Ebay that sold for $1600 or thereabouts.

If I don't pay $2K it will disappear, then I will have to live with whatever comes up on Ebay, HB, CG and know it will be hard to find a "new old stock" one like this again... I don't want to pay $3600 for new... but might be willing to shell $2000 for new old!  And lets face it - send me a link to the ones that sold here or on HB in the last two years that were in this condition... they don't come up that often, whether via WTB or not.

Buy it!
the premium price might be worth it in the end for you, the search hassle ends, you know what it looks like, you won't have to worry about shipping trashing and ebay sellers. I'd still take it apart,clean and lube(course you can give it a good rinse out and play a bit first). I've bought, rebuilt a dozen or so over the years, love'um
good luck.
post pics,
happy new cremina year,

Ed Bourgeois... LMWDP #167
please visit my blog
http://coffee-roasting.blogspot.com/
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
SpaceTime

Posted Tue Dec 31, 2013, 5:24pm

I called him today and made him my best offer.  I also told him I want to see it one more time for a quick run through given the premium he is asking.

He is going out of town in the morning till late next week, and said he plans on making the call whom he wants to sell it to when he gets back....

... he mentioned something about it is not only about the highest offer, he said he wants it to go to the right owner??  Lol  So, he lets it sit for 25 years, does not use it, then wants to make sure it goes to the right owner!  To each his own...  I plan on showing up with a probe light to peek inside the boiler next time... just for kicks. (and to look for any signs of water stored in it for years of course).

...btw, he has the original receipt, I should have asked him to see it, I still have not even asked him what he paid!! Doesn't matter... it is what it is.

Finally, the paint and chrome on this thing is so pristine you could comb your hair in the reflection...

... and yes, I plan on taking it apart FIRST THING to check all the seals, gaskets, etc.  I already plan on buying the reseal / gasket kit... even if I don't replace them all to start.  I am very curious to see how the gaskets held up without use...

One question I do have, do you use a pressure gauge to set the Pstat?  And if so, did you pay up (overpay) for the one OE is selling?  Please share.

Thanks again farmroast for all your thoughts....
farmroast
farmroast
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Strega,Cremina, MCAL...
Grinder: Majors, Dienes
Vac Pot: Hellem10
Drip: CCD, and more
Roaster: 1kg. DreamRoast
Posted Tue Dec 31, 2013, 7:05pm

I have the early Richard Penny OE boiler cap pressure gauge and bottomless pf. both are handy especially at the start. Some use the stick on temp gauge too. OE has super videos on everything you need to know and do. Huge following both here and on H-B.
There's actually quite a few only used a couple times and then stored creminas out there. The New York Times made them famous and a bit of a fad in 1982, they were $300!!!. and alot were bought and gifted and many shortly after stored. I've heard the same story from several of the folks I've bought like new creminas from. They are built so well and simple most survived and look cool enough to not end up in trash when found years later. NYT Cremina

Ed Bourgeois... LMWDP #167
please visit my blog
http://coffee-roasting.blogspot.com/
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
z0mbie
z0mbie
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Tue Dec 31, 2013, 10:05pm

If the machine is truly in new old-stock condition I don't think $2000 is too far of the mark. $1800 is reasonable but it all comes down to what the inside looks like.  Most of the Creminas I've seen on eBay are in very used condition...

Some of the nicer ones still aren't anywhere near from mint quality.   So if you really got one in original new condition is a very rare find indeed.

My machines cost me $1000 and $1400... And they were both refurbished.

z0mbie: my creminas.jpg
(Click for larger image)
RAS
RAS
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: PV Lusso, Cremina, Oly...
Grinder: OE Pharos
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Manual (funnel)
Roaster: Heat gun
Posted Wed Jan 1, 2014, 7:57am

Man, sounds like a bidding war when the inventory for homes was so low. I'd also follow your logic, in that the wait for another machine could be a while, and if a few hundred more won't be too painful for you, "paying the man" would get a great machine into your hands... And you should never have to think about another lever.

I bought the Penney boiler adapter from OE, and it has proven to be worth every penny (is that a pun?!). It has helped me dial in all three Olympia machines I have (Cremina, Livietta and Caffarex). It's expensive, but essential for nailing boiler pressure... and brew-temp.

Needless to say, I want to see pictures!

Bob
SpaceTime

Posted Wed Jan 1, 2014, 9:52am

RAS Said:

Man, sounds like a bidding war when the inventory for homes was so low. I'd also follow your logic, in that the wait for another machine could be a while, and if a few hundred more won't be too painful for you, "paying the man" would get a great machine into your hands... And you should never have to think about another lever.

I bought the Penney boiler adapter from OE, and it has proven to be worth every penny (is that a pun?!). It has helped me dial in all three Olympia machines I have (Cremina, Livietta and Caffarex). It's expensive, but essential for nailing boiler pressure... and brew-temp.

Needless to say, I want to see pictures!

Posted January 1, 2014 link

And you should never have to think about another lever.

Huh?  Clearly you don't know me...LOL for some reason, I think this is only the start of my journey - after watching the rebuild videos, etc I am already looking for a rebuild project that I can give to a family member or something!  Plus, I might want to try a spring, like the Mcal...

I agree... but $70 for the adapter?  For the gauge, I was thinking

Click Here (www.amazon.com) or
http://www.omega.com/pptst/PGU_Series.html  (the 2 bar one)

and going to the home center to see if I can find an adapter??  I am getting the feeling that finding the right size adapter is going to be the problem, right?  What, do we need a 1/4" NPT Female to 30mm Female?  Piece of cake... NOT!!!  I will probably end up buying the Penny adapter, correct?

Either way, I agree, dialing it in is where I want to be too, so that Penny adapter and it's $70 glory is probably in my future!  And as far as checking pressure at the steam wand - Doug also sells the gauge with the rubber hose for $25... but that is a $15 Omega gauge with a piece of rubber heavy duty hose fashioned as to fit the 1/4" NPT so that is easy to do at home with the gauge I will already have for the boiler...

I already have about 15 items in my cart at OE for things that caught my eye - not just gaskets, adapters, etc for the Cremina, but also dosing funnels, etc.  You get it I am sure... ;-)
SpaceTime

Posted Wed Jan 1, 2014, 9:54am

z0mbie Said:

If the machine is truly in new old-stock condition I don't think $2000 is too far of the mark. $1800 is reasonable but it all comes down to what the inside looks like.  Most of the Creminas I've seen on eBay are in very used condition...

Some of the nicer ones still aren't anywhere near from mint quality.   So if you really got one in original new condition is a very rare find indeed.

My machines cost me $1000 and $1400... And they were both refurbished.

Although my experience is not as extensive, I would tend to agree with your assessment.  I don't want to pay $2000, I wanted to offer in the $1800 range, but don't want it to get away for $200.  

BUT this all rides on what I find out on my next visit (next week). Like I said, with the top / cover off, it sure looked new inside - it is pristine.  But I  I am going to peek inside the boiler, etc to see what I can determine to make sure it was not stored with hard water in it...

This is sure looking like a strong candidate...

BTW - what happened to the OP on this thread?  LOL.  Sorry, this has to be classified as an A1 highjacking!
JZY

Espresso: Expobar Office Control, Sama...
Grinder: HG1 & Pede
Posted Wed Jan 1, 2014, 4:28pm

$2k is ridiculous.  You shouldn't have to pay more than $1200 for a well kept perfectly working Cremina with all parts in excellent condition.  For less than $2k you can buy a new Strega or stretch the budget for an L1 which are both a lot more machine for the money than the Cremina.
showing page 4 of 6 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > Feelings About...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.294351816177)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+