Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Lever Espresso Machines
La Pavoni Pre-Millenium Group head Gasket???
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > La Pavoni...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Barristajedi

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Oct 27, 2013, 6:10am
Subject: La Pavoni Pre-Millenium Group head Gasket???

Does anyone have a source for a gasket for the group head (not round O-ring) .  

All of the gaskets are rounded O-ring types and I was wondering if there was  source for a squared off gasket like the La Pavoni  factory one?

Steve,
 View Profile Link to this post
hankbates
hankbates

Espresso: La Pavoni Professional...
Grinder: LaPavoni Jolly
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Sun Oct 27, 2013, 6:25am
Subject: Re: La Pavoni Pre-Millenium Group head Gasket???

If you are talking about the gasket which goes between the group and the boiler, they start out round and become square over time with use.
Good sources for parts for these are Orphan Espresso orphanespresso.com and Stefano's Espresso Care espressocare.com.
Barristajedi

Posted Sun Oct 27, 2013, 6:38am

I know those both and use them-Orphan espresso is great!.  But I was watching a good tear down video on You-Tube and was reading many comments that the round gasket leaks since it does not provide a full seal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kzbb34nzmEU

Any experience with this??

Again thanks!

Steve
hankbates
hankbates

Espresso: La Pavoni Professional...
Grinder: LaPavoni Jolly
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Sun Oct 27, 2013, 8:34am

Francesco Ceccarelli has a good photo of all the seals at Click Here (www.francescoceccarelli.eu)
Another page on his site (taken from Dr.Pavoni) gives o-ring sizes:  http://www.francescoceccarelli.eu/La_Pavoni/Dr_Pavoni/immagini/sealrepl.html , and is mirrored in his own page Click Here (www.francescoceccarelli.eu)
Hope this helps.
Barristajedi

Posted Sun Oct 27, 2013, 9:03am

Helpful info.  Thank you.  

But it still doesn't answer the question on gaskets.  Since the La Pavoni factory gasket is squared off and the other in the Youtube video is not.  I just don't want to tear down the machine and put in the wrong gasket and have it leak?    It may be best to send it out but where is a good place and not too expensive  Orphan Espresso?

I could probably use a new boiler gasket too since it leaks a little at the base from time to time?   I could change all the gaskets??

Steve,
orphanespresso
orphanespresso
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Cremina Faemina Microcimbali...
Grinder: Hand Grinders
Posted Sun Oct 27, 2013, 4:02pm

The factory part, as you call it, is an O Ring for the pre millennium machine.    The oldest machines having a brass cylinder sleeve use a square gasket.   Millennium machines used an o ring at first and changed to a flat on one side gasket.   You may purchase the factory millennium flat gasket and it will not fit the pre mill group.   You may purchase the brass sleeve gasket and it will not fit.   You may purchase the factory part for your machine and the factory will send you an o ring.

The La Pavoni engineers aren't as influenced by random YouTube videos as some.   Fiddling with one machine does not make someone an expert in parts fitting, but with enough trial and error he may get his problem solved but likely he did not make a video showing that the millennium gasket did not work in his machine.

Orphan espresso does not offer machine service or repairs.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Barristajedi

Posted Sun Oct 27, 2013, 4:54pm

Thank you for clarification.  Do you sell a full seal kit for the pre-millennium machines?  I watched your video on stripping down the La Pavoni so hopefullly with that and a good diagram I can replace the seals?  Any other suggestions for seal replacement?

I was just being cautious since I didn't want to buy the wrong part and o-rings can be a big issue.  I don't you if you scuba dive but wrong size O-rings can ruin a whole dive and if your o-ring blows on your valve on your 1st stage you aint diving so sorry for being a little paranoid.  It just as very confusing on what was the righ O-ring.

I just purchased your cleaning kit so I plan to clean my machine so I should replace all the seals too-since it is leaking at the group head and the at the base??

Steve,
CoffeeLoversMag
CoffeeLoversMag

Posted Mon Nov 11, 2013, 5:37am

Yes, the round gasket may leak because it doesn't fit exactly. I have read similar on this problem and most of the errors are on the La Pavoni machine. Maybe a machine manufacturer doesn't provide the exact gasket as being ordered. I even knew from somebody's experience that he even cut with a razor and ran the blade around the inner edge of the gasket just to trim down the rubber a bit and to sit down a bit further when it slides into the dispersion screen that inserts up into the group head.

As what I have known, most of the machine manufactures today is not offering service repair. I doubt if they are particular in providing you with the right gasket as what you had order to replace the old gasket. Better make some special adjustment by seeking assistance to some expert on gasket and o-ring just to fit in exactly and seal your La Pavoni head.

Did you know...? Dark roast coffees actually have less caffeine than lighter roasts due to the fact that the process of roasting burns off caffeine.
www.coffeeloversmag.com/theMagazine
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
stuey

Expertise: Pro Barista

Posted Sun Dec 1, 2013, 5:36am

I rebuilt a 1973 europiccola and was getting a ton of leaks from around the portfilter. I researched the group head gasket a LOT and found a square cross-section one like what it sounds like you saw on youtube at orphan espresso. They were really good, I was very impressed.

Prior to finding them I also bought the round cross-section gasket and cut my own additional gasket form sheet rubber that I bought from a rubber store (it was tempting from them on just to cut my own gaskets but I'm too lazy). The leak was actually related to the basket being deformed at the top so IT wasn't sealing with the gasket- check for that too. Once I bought a new basket I could use either the round or square cross-section gasket without any leaking.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > La Pavoni...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.216281890869)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+