Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Lever Espresso Machines
Help with my new Elektra!!
Barista Tools
Large selection of tampers, pitchers, milk frothers and much more!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > Help with my new...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
nickyny

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Jul 10, 2013, 10:33pm
Subject: Help with my new Elektra!!

Hello guys,

I confess that I'm a noob in lever machines and I just got my Elektra MCL. I encounter problem with it that when I pull the lever to the bottom, the coffee just comes right off like water and the lever pops back instantly when I lose grasp of it without even a trace of "slowly moving back"...

Can anyone tell me what's wrong with it? Was it my grind too coarse? I swear I lock the portafilter to the right position and the pressure seems right.

Thanks a million!!

Nicky
 View Profile Link to this post
SamTonin
SamTonin
Expertise: Professional
Posted Thu Jul 11, 2013, 2:54am
Subject: Re: Help with my new Elektra!!

Most probably, the grind is far too course or the dose is too little.

Follow the instructions in the link and if you're still not extracting at a time of 20-30 seconds, grind finer.

Alternatively, is the water hot enough?

"Operation and Maintenance"

My micro-roastery is up and running, be sure to check it out! www.beanofatree.com.au
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Thu Jul 11, 2013, 5:41am

The step-by-step instructions provided in Sam's link are excellent.

Maybe you can tell us what kind of beans and which grinder you use. Have you dialed in the grinder properly?

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
nickyny

Posted Thu Jul 11, 2013, 7:04am

Thank you Sam for your reply!! I used Capresso Infinity and I switched to the finest grind already and yet it can still be way to coarse for the machine?
As for the water, doesn't the red light at the bottom right just switch off when the temperature and pressure is ready?
For the beans, I really just used some random beans that's been there for a while. I really wanted to just try to get familiar with the machine first.

Again, thank you so much for helping!!
NobbyR
NobbyR

Posted Thu Jul 11, 2013, 7:20am

nickyny Said:

I used Capresso Infinity and I switched to the finest grind already and yet it can still be way to coarse for the machine?

Posted July 11, 2013 link

I doubt that the Capresso Infinity is consistently able to grind fine enough for espresso. If you look at the description given on SeattleCoffeeGear's homepage, it states expressly that it is not an espresso grinder, too. I guess it's commonly agreed upon on this forum that the Baratza Preciso is the entry level electric grinder suitable for espresso.

nickyny Said:

For the beans, I really just used some random beans that's been there for a while.

Posted July 11, 2013 link

Further more, it sounds like your beans are stale.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
nickyny

Posted Thu Jul 11, 2013, 8:49am

Thank you so much for helping!!!
So at this moment, do you suggest me buy some ground beans and have a try? I've read posts saying that Capresso can be good enough for espressos, but yeah, definitely when I looked at the ground I doubted if they were fine enough. But is it like...lever machines have high criteria for coffee ground?

But thank you so much again!!
NobbyR
NobbyR

Posted Thu Jul 11, 2013, 11:50am

Absolutely not! What you should do is trade in the Infinity for a decent grinder and get some freshly roasted beans. Pre-ground coffee never works.

nickyny

Posted Thu Jul 11, 2013, 2:46pm

Ahhh you're absolutely right!! Thanks a lot :)
johnboddie

Espresso: MCAL, Brasilia Mini Classic,...
Grinder: Rossi RR45a,Rocky,...
Drip: Cuisinart (non-grinding)
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Jul 11, 2013, 8:00pm

Re: "As for the water, doesn't the red light at the bottom right just switch off when the temperature and pressure is ready?"

Actually, no.

When you first turn on the MCAL, the red light will go off and the gauge will indicate that you are at proper operating pressure when you have only had the machine on for six to ten minutes. This is a false indicator. Use the valve on the steam want to bleed off the pressure (you'll probably see it drop rapidly), then close the valve and wait until about the twenty minute point before you start to pull your shots. The heater (indicated by the red light) will cycle on and off depending on the pressure in the reservoir.

You'll need to sink some money into a good grinder to get the performance you want. If you are only doing a few shots a day, you might consider a manual grinder.
nickyny

Posted Thu Jul 11, 2013, 9:57pm

Thank you so much for the information!! As for a manual grinder, I think it's a great idea budget wise! Do you have any recommendations? I was wondering if a Turkish mill would be too fine for this machine...

But again thank you so much!!!
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > Help with my new...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.291972160339)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+