Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Lever Espresso Machines
Conti LM3
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > Conti LM3  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
greenlyr

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Jun 20, 2013, 1:48pm
Subject: Conti LM3

Anyone out there with a three pull Conti.(LM3) I could use some insight on tamp. grind and maybe steam pressure coming out of the machine. All three of the stations pull a different shot and I"m not getting the creme I would like even though I am getting good "pucks" out of the perma. I'e tried the 30 pounds with a coarse grind, and keep making the grind finer until it won't pull. I'm wondering if the pressure is not high enough. Help.
 View Profile Link to this post
drgary

Espresso: Baby Lusso Caravel Coffex...
Grinder: Pharos, Rio Super Jolly,...
Vac Pot: AeroPress
Drip: Melitta
Roaster: Heat Gun/Bread Machine,...
Posted Sat Jun 22, 2013, 7:09pm
Subject: Re: Conti LM3

Is that a lever or pump machine. If lever Conti Prestina user experience thread on HB may help. Maybe springs are worn differently and seals too.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
greenlyr

Posted Sat Jun 22, 2013, 8:07pm

Thanks drgary, it is a lever, the previous owner rebuilt it and one spring was replaced, the others not. The seals are all new 1 1/2 years old now. Is there a way to adjust pressure or at least know what is the correct pressure?
I have spoken to the person who sells us our coffee and he told me not to worry too much about 30 pounds of tamp etc, he said it was more important to have a well shaped puck when done. I feel like we are not getting the creme that I have seen on some of the videos, and just want the best we can do.
Is your machine lever?  If so, how long before you release the lever, we have been letting it build until the "tail" begins to slow down.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Rick
 View Profile Link to this post
drgary

Espresso: Baby Lusso Caravel Coffex...
Grinder: Pharos, Rio Super Jolly,...
Vac Pot: AeroPress
Drip: Melitta
Roaster: Heat Gun/Bread Machine,...
Posted Fri Jun 28, 2013, 8:14am

Rick:

Probably the first thing to do is replace the other two springs with new ones. They aren't expensive and are available at Conti service centers like Allann Brothers Coffee. Adjusting dose and grind with precision are essential with any espresso machine. Distribution is more important than tamp but tamp also helps. A quality espresso grinder with relatively new burrs is essential as are fresh beans that aren't over-roasted. My Conti lever has the same group as yours unless yours is very antique. If when you take the cover off there are a lot of brass pivots on the top of the lever it is the current group. To see more about this here are some threads (sorry about referring to the other site -- I don't know where to find the extraction guides on CG):

How to adjust dose and grind setting by taste: Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

Conti Prestina Restoration: Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

Conti Prestina Owner Experience: Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

Perfecting the Naked Extraction: http://www.home-barista.com/naked-extraction.html
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > Conti LM3  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quality Espresso Machines
Imported Italian Espresso Machines, Coffee Machines & accessories for all your coffee needs!
www.thecoffeebrewers.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.177371025085)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+