Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Lever Espresso Machines
Lever Machine right for me?
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > Lever Machine...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
BLrdFX
BLrdFX
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: L-I
Grinder: HG-One, Kony-E, VL, Lido2
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Quest
Posted Sat May 25, 2013, 6:31am
Subject: Re: Lever Machine right for me?

Levers make some great espresso!  I have sold some very expensive machines, like a GS/3, to keep my Lever machine.

It has been asked before, but maybe not stressed enough; GRINDER!!  A great grinder will go a long way to making a good brewed shot.

Flat burred grinders will give a different taste in the cup than a conical burred grinder so figure out which one you like.  Conicals tend to be more "Bright" in flavor so the floral notes will present themselves where as with the flat burred grinders are a more muted flavor note so chocolate flavors are more noticeable.

Get a good grinder!
 View Profile Link to this post
jaycimo

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: la pavoni-professional
Posted Sat May 25, 2013, 12:11pm

I have a La Pavoni Professional that i bought at a garage sale for 100$ and i love it after figuring out how to make a great espresso.I would recommend getting a Kyocera Ceramic Coffee Grinder or some other kind of manual grinder before spending to much.Mine was 50$ new on amazon and i find its plenty for me since I dont make espresso for other people very often.If your planning on making a lot of shots for guests a manual is not for you,but then neither is a lever espresso machine.good luck !
Prof
Prof
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: PV Lusso
Grinder: Pharos 696
Drip: Aeropress
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Mon May 27, 2013, 7:34am

Half of your $500 budget could wisely be spent on the Pharos hand-grinder.  It has grind quality that will last for years of your coffee needs.

Then you could save up for a decent lever machine, or find a nice used one.

LMWDP # 010
strfish7

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Cremina, Europiccola,...
Grinder: HGOne, Pharos, Vario
Vac Pot: none
Drip: none
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Fri Jun 21, 2013, 11:09am

The Caravel is pretty rare and certainly difficult to find under $500. Another complication is that many of them take European 220 volts, necessitating a conversion or a slower warmup process (some people just boil the water on the stove and then put it into the tank).  Parts are really difficult to find as well.  On the other hand, the LP (either version) has been made for quite some time, parts are easy to find, and deals are there, sometimes.  I got mine for $175 on Craigslist and it was in great shape. Not a difficult learning curve, either, imo.  The LP is quite unforgiving of inferior grinds, however.  The Cremina is much more forgiving, but completely out of your budget.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jpthibault

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Caravel, Elektra MCAL
Grinder: Pharos, Peugeot
Drip: Espro press
Posted Fri Jun 21, 2013, 12:44pm

If you watch ebay patiently, you should be able to buy a Caravel for well under $500. I bought one from Italy two years ago for 128 EU.

Regarding availability of replacement parts, the previous post is a bit misleading. You'll find much of what you may need at Orphan Espresso:
https://www.orphanespresso.com/Caravel-VAM-Espresso-Machine_c_325.html
The element should be all you need to worry about, and people have been able to source replacements for that too (see discussions on home-barista.com... I'd provide a direct link but it seems to be down right now). There's not much else that can break. For regular wear & tear (seals & gaskets), OE has you covered.

If you don't want to steam milk and you like the idea of a manual lever, it's hard to go wrong with the Caravel. If you find it's not for you, you can surely re-sell it quite easily without losing any money as they are rarely sold on this side of the Atlantic (those of us who buy them tend to like them a lot!).

If you're still not sure, head over to the lever forum on home-barista, you'll find hundreds of pages discussing it!
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > Lever Machine...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.176674127579)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+